I gotta do it!

AgapeQueen

I am going to get a PERM!!!!:wallbash: I have so many mixed feelings about it! I have been "trying" to be natural for 2 years now. With my recent discovery of alopecia, I have to use rogaine for the rest of my life:nono: My hair plus watery solutions = mini root-afo, which does not look good with straight ends and a remy sewn-in in the back... :blush:

So I think I have to perm...UNLESS there is something else out there that I can use to combact this alopecia that is not so watery...

Yo no se'

Any suggestions ladies?

I agree with discodumpling and belldandy...

How about a big chop??? cut off the relaxed ends...

I don't think relaxing your hair is good for your alopecia issues :nono: How about a sew in that will blend in with your natural texture? Please don't give up.

You all are great! I have been wearing sew-ins for to many years now. I think my issue is that I want to just wear my hair. But I am not happy with the way it looks!
I thought about another natural curly weave??? That may be an option until my hair starts to grow back...:0/

I just wanted to add my $0.000002
I 'm sure u already know but Chemicals will only ADD to ur already existing problem.. DONT DO IT!!!

There is no way for me to say this other than ....100% DO NOT get a perm if you have Alopecia ...Unless you want to risk loosing every strand of your hair up to and including the straight ends. I live with a person who has alopecia and you are playing Russian Roulette if you make this your choice. If you think you have problems now...you can't even imagine having full blown alopecia

The only thing I can add to this thread is that I think you will regret relaxing if you choose to go that route.

I guess having alopecia just got me down.. I wanna wear my natural hair soo straight bad...I have not even given rogaine a chance to work. You all are all right! I do not need to perm my hair :0

I saw a thread on halley curly hair.. I think I will just sew it up AGAIN! I will look into those oils too...

Thanks ladies...

I was in between a perm and Janet new cut lol!

What is causing the alopecia, did the doctor say? I ask because there's a good chance it could be due to the tension from the weaves.

I would stop all weaves and braids and definitely wouldn't get a relaxer. Don't put any tension on your scalp and give the rogaine a chance to work and your scalp a chance to rejuvenate.

Give wigs a try until you get over this hump, but definitely don't relax or get weaves or braids.

Good luck :)

What is causing the alopecia, did the doctor say? I ask because there's a good chance it could be due to the tension from the weaves.

I would stop all weaves and braids and definitely wouldn't get a relaxer. Don't put any tension on your scalp and give the rogaine a chance to work and your scalp a chance to rejuvenate.

Give wigs a try until you get over this hump, but definitely don't relax or get weaves or braids.

it is non scarring alopecia androgenic, with continous alopecia...

I think you may want to consider a lace wig to clip or pin in... Wear it like a half wig, that's what I did when I was transitioning. Very easy on the hair and scalp. Sew in's were damaging for me.

Correction.. I do not have traction alopecia- THANK YOU JESUS! I have androgenic alopeica which means my hair is not dead and can go back! It was not caused form styling, perms, manipulation etc... but my dna and hormones...:ohwell:... never the less I'm so greatful that it can and WILL fgrow back!

I think you may want to consider a lace wig to clip or pin in... Wear it like a half wig, that's what I did when I was transitioning. Very easy on the hair and scalp. Sew in's were damaging for me.

I'm not too sure about the glue for a lace front, plus I dont want to look too wiggy:ohwell:. Sew-in's have worked for me... a great protective sty:ohwell:le for me. I self install so my braids are not pulling my brains out...lol

I just wanted a break... You know sometimes when you wanna scratch your scalp and there is nothing there but YOUR SCALP! Or just wanna feel the wind blow in your hair! That is what I am missing.. I guess now is just not my time... I need to work on thicking my natural hair first:rolleyes:

I have no exp with alopecia but I suggest you go to the hair replacement shop on cobb pkwy in Marietta they can make you a wig specific for your head style you want etc...that way you can treat your hair and not worry about styling.

I understand that you do not have traction alopecia, but everyone that suggested that you give weaves a break was right. My sister has it, genetically, and had it since she was a teenager. It "went away" and she started wearing weaves continuously 2 years ago and that has made it return. So wigs are a great option. I have a big curly wig that looks like 3c hair, its not too sheeny or wiggy, its by Zury, I picked it up at the bss, i luv it. EVERYONE thinks its my hair! Search for a wig you love, it may take you more than a day to find it but its highly possible. Do your research on e/o and carrier oil therapy (peppermint, castor oil, rosemary). Even try searching for ayurvedic haircare. Whatever you do, be consistent (typically apply your remedy twice a day) and be patient. You will see results!

Agape, DO NOT get a relaxer. I'll be back with more thoughts a little later. I hope you have changed your mind...(i haven't read the entire thread).

Back