I got to meet Barry Fletcher!

atl_mulattamami

I'm so excited! Yesterday I went to FSO (For Sisters Only) and I got to meet Barry Fletcher! For those who don't know he's like the greatest black stylist ever!!! He's worked with celebrities such as Halle Berry and Tina Turner. Barry Fletcher is also the author of "Why Are Black Women Losing Their Hair" and "Hair is Sexual". He gave me "Hair is Sexual" for free and it is such a cute book. Very humorous!

Anyway...I bought some of his products and his vitamins and I must say they are amazing! The hair products made my scalp feel very cool and tingly and my hair is still very soft! It smells good too...really fresh kinda like mint mixed with something else.

http://barryfletcher.com/cover.html

So why are black women losing their hair, according to Mr. Fletcher?

I remember him from back in the 80s. Is he still good looking? :)

I just saw his picture. He's a cutie! :)

I think he's the one that said a long time ago that black women's hair doesn't grow as fast as white women's.

we were actually talking about that...he didnt say anything about it growing slower than white womens hair but he did say that women in a warmer climate have faster growth rates because the warmth stimulates blood circulation which can increase hair growth and that the opposite applies for women in cooler climates but the major two things attributing to hair growth are how you take care of it and genetics regardless of your race

cookie507 said:
we were actually talking about that...he didnt say anything about it growing slower than white womens hair but he did say that women in a warmer climate have faster growth rates because the warmth stimulates blood circulation which can increase hair growth and that the opposite applies for women in cooler climates but the major two things attributing to hair growth are how you take care of it and genetics regardless of your race

Agreed on all of this!

I love the liquid moisture oil! I have been using that product for a few years. Has anyone used the shampoos and conditioners?

Yes I've been using the Honeysuckle Shampoo and the Moisture Therapy Revitalizing Conditioner...it seems to be more of a protein thing so I wouldn't use it every day...its very moisturizing though...I used it as a deep conditioner yesterday and it gave a lot of slip

He also gave me the Natural Moisture Leave-In Conditioner, Instant Moisture Spray, and the Thick n' Slick Custard...all of these work really well too!

Thats cool!! I use the barry fletcher Egg cream Light protein pomade. I was dealing with minor breakage, and when I started using the pomade, I noticed a big diffrence. My hair is not breaking, and looks and feels alot healthier!!! I LOVE this stuffI occasionally us the humidity resistant holding spray, whick is cool to. I wouldnt mind getting my hands on his books!

Thanks for sharing

My girlfriend has near waist length hair and it is b/c she uses his products. She goes to the salon every 2 weeks and in between she does NOT apply heat to her relaxed hair. She only gets it washed at the salon too. She swears by this method and by the Barry Fletcher products.

LilDmomof3 said:
Thats cool!! I use the barry fletcher Egg cream Light protein pomade. I was dealing with minor breakage, and when I started using the pomade, I noticed a big diffrence. My hair is not breaking, and looks and feels alot healthier!!! I LOVE this stuffI occasionally us the humidity resistant holding spray, whick is cool to. I wouldnt mind getting my hands on his books!

Thanks for sharing

I got his book from my local library.:)

atl_mulattamami said:

I persoally dont think genetics have anything to do with as far as growth wise, it may determine if you will have thick or thin, curly or straight but not growth cause me(barely at BSL) and my sister(a little bit pass BSL) have the longest hair in our family, yes, on both sides grandmas, cousins, aunts, their all ear length and shorter---you'd think with genetics like that it'd be impossible. I did. :lol:

I do believe genetics play a part because length is determined by many factors not just growth pattern as we all have discussed and learned in this forum. You can have tremendous growth but if you are "hard" on your hair that person may not realize much consistent length b/c the hair splits, breaks off and is damaged.

My mom has ultra kinky hair and she realizes quick growth and tremendous length b/c she maintains her hair so the growth she realizes is retained. My mom can grow near 6 to 7 inches in 5 to 6 months no problem. The same goes for my father's side and I am the same way.

I do know some people whose growth pattern is slower and so are the other people in their family. You can easily tell when they color or dye their hair b/c you can see the demarcation of new growth at certain points in time.

I do not think genetics is the end all be all but it definitely plays a part. Even if it skips the immediate family.

CurleeDST said:
I do believe genetics play a part because length is determined by many factors not just growth pattern as we all have discussed and learned in this forum. You can have tremendous growth but if you are "hard" on your hair that person may not realize much consistent length b/c the hair splits, breaks off and is damaged.

My mom has ultra kinky hair and she realizes quick growth and tremendous length b/c she maintains her hair so the growth she realizes is retained. My mom can grow near 6 to 7 inches in 5 to 6 months no problem. The same goes for my father's side and I am the same way.

I do know some people whose growth pattern is slower and so are the other people in their family. You can easily tell when they color or dye their hair b/c you can see the demarcation of new growth at certain points in time.

I do not think genetics is the end all be all but it definitely plays a part. Even if it skips the immediate family.

I completely agree with this! :)

CurleeDST said:

What other factors are there?? Just curious. I was just talking about as far as gowth goes b/c thats what I thought she said he was saying. I also thought anybody can be hard on their hair and it not grow? Esp if their hair is a type that's kinky ,coily, and/or dry ? I'm learning so that's why I have so many questions.

Environment (cold climate vs. warm), physical activity (daily exercise), diet (eating habits), water intake (helps to flush out toxins), drugs (medications can change the texture and growth pattern of your hair), physical well being (stress can slow down growth - this happened to me one summer), just to name a few.

I hope that helps.

Samaria said:
What other factors are there?? Just curious. I was just talking about as far as gowth goes b/c thats what I thought she said he was saying. I also thought anybody can be hard on their hair and it not grow? Esp if their hair is a type that's kinky ,coily, and/or dry ? I'm learning so that's why I have so many questions.

Back