I got my Instyler yesterday!

Momstar

So I ordered the Instyler about a month ago and it finally came this week. I am all natural 4a and looking for something that will make home styling easier. I am also tired of spending so much money at the salon. I got the rapid heat up version and it did get hot very quickly. I'm going to try it out this weekend and I will post before and after pix.

Does any one have any suggestions of deep conditioning treatments or something I can try before hand?

I only have a bonnet dryer,but I was thinking of getting a gold n hot hand dryer like they use in the salon. Do you think that would be too much damage if I did that and than straightened it with the Instyler once a week?

these bassturds still owe me for the one I cancelled; (but they still sent) and I returned it!

Their customer service may not be the greatest. I thought it was strange that my order didn't have an invoice in the box. Maybe it's on top of the box, I need to check.

Did you get a chance to use it? What happened?

why did it take a month to get? anywho, lemme know how it goes.
for deep conditioning, i like that hairveda Sitrinillah conditioner.
as for using double heat every week, yeah you might be pushing the heat damage limits, and if you're natural you could lose some texture.

why did it take a month to get? anywho, lemme know how it goes.
for deep conditioning, i like that hairveda Sitrinillah conditioner.
as for using double heat every week, yeah you might be pushing the heat damage limits, and if you're natural you could lose some texture.

Yeah, it took forever. I actually forgot I ordered the thing. Can I get the hairveda at the local asian-owned BSS?

oh, no lol. i get my products online. store bought stuff doesn't work for me. but i do hear a lot about queen helene conditioners, so you could try that.

Hopefully mine get here soon. They sent me an email stating it should be shipping soon. I didn't know soon will be a month.

I received the rapid heat version today (ordered on the 10/15) and I will be doing before and after pics as well this weekend. I'm going to do a pre-treatment with olive oil overnight on Friday and dc with Elasta QP DPR-11 after pooing on Sat. I will sit under the heat cap for the dc. I'm going to let it airdry in twists then use the InStyler. I think the twists will make it easier to section and style.

I actually tested a twist just about 5 minutes ago and it really does straighten the hair without pulling any hair out. I had a huge problem with the Maxiglide yanking out my hair. I had it on high so I will probably lower to the medium temp this weekend.

So I ordered the Instyler about a month ago and it finally came this week. I am all natural 4a and looking for something that will make home styling easier. I am also tired of spending so much money at the salon. I got the rapid heat up version and it did get hot very quickly. I'm going to try it out this weekend and I will post before and after pix.

Does any one have any suggestions of deep conditioning treatments or something I can try before hand?

I only have a bonnet dryer,but I was thinking of getting a gold n hot hand dryer like they use in the salon. Do you think that would be too much damage if I did that and than straightened it with the Instyler once a week?

If I remember correctly 129.00. I ordered one as well. Maybe less than that, but I think I got some extra stuff with it.

I'm sorry.:sad: I do need to find out how to get rid of the burnt hair smell. Unlike with a flat iron, my hair was not hot to the touch (and my hair really holds heat) but the smell was definitely there. Fortunately, the smoke was coming from the InStyler and not my hair.

I know they recommend that the hair be free of any leave-ins but I plan to use a heat protectant. I had Infusium 23 on my hair yesterday so maybe that is why it left the smell.

I paid $154.91 for the 2 professional models ($14.99 was for the trial fee) so about $70/each. Both come with a carry bag as well as a semi-wide tooth comb.

i'm so anxious for pics you coulda just showed that one section!

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay and lack of pics but the InStyler gets a thumbs down frome me.:nono: When I tried it on the one twist last week, I had it set on high. However, the description says that medium heat should work for fine hair so I that is what I used. I tried it on Saturday evening (I had washed and dc'd my hair that morning and put in twists). It would not get the crinkle out of my hair!

When I saw the informercial on Sunday morning, I realized I held the Instyler upside down on Sat. evening. Well, in order to get my hair decent for church I had to run the flat iron through it. I decided to give it another go round (was going to wait until Wednesday but got impatient) so I washed and dc'd my hair again after church!

Even after using the thing in the proper position, it would not completely straighten my hair. Needless to say, it is boxed up and going back. I know others have had issues with refunds but that is why I put it on my VISA because I will dispute the charge if they give me problems.

I think the Instyler probably works on a different texture of hair (I'm 4A/B) and probably works on relaxed hair. Definitely not for a true natural head.

After seeing the infomercial I wanted to try this. I did a web search for review before making my decision and of course there some pro and cons, but I was surprise on how many cons. this one of the links I came across: http://15minutefashion.about.com/b/2008/08/07/the-instyler-friend-or-foe.htm
I don't think I would buy this because I'm not convinced it will work on my 4b hair. There were a lot review stating they didn't receive a full refund when returning w/i the 30 days and cs is horrible. I haven't had any luck with order from infomercial (bare mineral, proactive, and slim in 6). For those who still want to try it I suggest going on Ebay, they are selling them like hotcakes and they cost a lot less.

Dang, I just got mine 3 days ago. Im a 4b, freshley relaxed. However im not using any direct heat on my head until I get 4 weeks post. I will give review when I use it. Hopefully it works.

Thanx for the review but I could tell from looking at that thing that it was not for us.

Especially on 4a-b natural hair..if it did straighten I would think that the brush thingy on the sides would rip the hair right out.

Good heads up for the Pj's like me.

Back