I got my first hooded hair dryer, but now I need help using it!!

I'm so excited you guys. I finally bought it yesterday when I went out with a couple of friends. Now I can finally start practicing getting my rollersets perfected!! So now I have a couple of questions.

1. When you guys are rollersetting, what kind of combs are you using? I've seen people who rollerset and use those bone combs and I'm scared that I will lose a lot of hair if I use that method

2. What kind of sets are you doing after you take your rollers down?

3. What products are you using to make your rollersets look like you just came from the salon?

4. Does anyone here use cold air to dry their rollersets? If so, how long does it take?

I'm so excited you guys. I finally bought it yesterday when I went out with a couple of friends. Now I can finally start practicing getting my rollersets perfected!! So now I have a couple of questions.

1. When you guys are rollersetting, what kind of combs are you using? I've seen people who rollerset and use those bone combs and I'm scared that I will lose a lot of hair if I use that method I detangle and part my hair with a shower comb first. I use plastic clips to keep each section controlled until I get to it. I use a rat tail Mason Pearson comb to section each section as I add the roller. As long as you are detangling first and using a leave in that you like, you shouldn't use hair. We are using the bone comb just to help section the hair, not running it through our whole head first.

2. What kind of sets are you doing after you take your rollers down?My hair is curly when I take it down. Medium sized to large bouncy curls. I lightly comb through with my fingers to make it wavy

3. What products are you using to make your rollersets look like you just came from the salon? I just use a creamy leave in. The most important thing IMO when trying to get a salon set it to make sure you are rolling tight and makeing sure your hair is wet. Also, let your hair dry completely before removing the rollers

4. Does anyone here use cold air to dry their rollersets? If so, how long does it take?I have never dried the whole set on cool.

Answers in Red

1. When you guys are rollersetting, what kind of combs are you using? I've seen people who rollerset and use those bone combs and I'm scared that I will lose a lot of hair if I use that method: Wide tooth for detangling, shampoo rat tail and regular rat tail comb.

2. What kind of sets are you doing after you take your rollers down? I do loose rollersets for a straight look or curly. I use the purple or gray rollers. Depends on length and the look you are trying to achieve. I'm going for straight look.

3. What products are you using to make your rollersets look like you just came from the salon? Leave-in (Kera-Care leavin-in) it's your choice, along with a serum - you don't need much of either. Then using a spray bottle with plain water.

4. Does anyone here use cold air to dry their rollersets? If so, how long does it take? Never cold air, I have a Pibbs and set mine on 50.

Macherie of www.Healthytextures.com has DVD on rollersetting, I use her method.

1. When you guys are rollersetting, what kind of combs are you using? I use a seamless bone comb with one end that is like a rattail and the other end is wider. I may also use a goody ouchless detangling comb(walmart).

2. What kind of sets are you doing after you take your rollers down? I always wear my sets in loose waves[gray or purple rollers with duckbill clips or jumbo burgundy flexi rods]. To maintain it, I wear either pincurls or bantu knots (2-4) at night. I don't wear pin straight hair, so the straightest my hair will be is with a loose bend at the end.

3. What products are you using to make your rollersets look like you just came from the salon? distilled water, sometimes diluted elucence moisture balancing conditioner, and salerm 21. Previously I used Lacio Lacio, but it has been replaced with salerm 21. In the past I used Keracare Setting lotion which gives salon results, but it tends to leave my hair dry at the same time. I will retry it again this summer.

4. Does anyone here use cold air to dry their rollersets? If so, how long does it take? I dry at a 40-45 which is like on low and it takes about 2.5 hours for my hair to get completely dry in one sitting. I never sit under the dryer for longer than an hour at a time. I always finish with a few minutes on the coolest setting on my Pibbs 514.

Last edited:
Back