I got me some African Palm Oil....now what?!

kweenameena

I bought some African Palm Oil because it was $2.99. I was like OOO this'll be good for something. But now I don't know what to use it for. Plus it's very red! I haven't smelled it yet. But is this a staple in anyone's regimen? How do you use your african palm oil

kweenameena said:
I bought some African Palm Oil because it was $2.99. I was like OOO this'll be good for something. But now I don't know what to use it for. Plus it's very red! I haven't smelled it yet. But is this a staple in anyone's regimen? How do you use your african palm oil

I :love: red palm oil!

I'd say put it in the microwave for about 5-6 seconds (it has an extremely low melting point) then use it as a hot oil treatment. Or you can use it at room temperature as a pre-poo or a sealer. It's a very conditioning oil and you will feel the difference in your hair after a couple (if not the the first) use.

so they are the same thing? I bought mine at an ethnic grocery store. We have a big african community here. Does it have a smell? Do you like it better than coconut oil? Does the oil stain because it's red? Sorry for all the questions.

kweenameena said:
so they are the same thing? I bought mine at an ethnic grocery store. We have a big african community here. Does it have a smell? Do you like it better than coconut oil? Does the oil stain because it's red? Sorry for all the questions.

Yep, african palm oil, red palm oil, and red palm butter are all the same thing.
It does have a smell, but it's not bad. If you get it on your clothes it will leave a red stain, but I've always gotten mine to wash out. I still use coconut oil, but it can be a little drying if you use too much so I limit its use.
ETA:
Here's stowaway's thread. She loves it too. http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=129111

Its a staple of mine... I use mine straight up as pre-poo... or sometimes I mix it with Alma powder or Alma oil and some conditioner as a pre-poo...I love it :)
It makes a good Hot Oil treatment too

MissMadaam said:
Its a staple of mine... I use mine straight up as pre-poo... or sometimes I mix it with Alma powder or Alma oil and some conditioner as a pre-poo...I love it :)
It makes a good Hot Oil treatment too

Yep. MissMadam got me onto this stuff. I love it. I will be prepooing with it tonight. I am going to mix in some SAA and Honeyquat and maybe a little conditioner. :thumbsup:

Back