I got cornrows for the first time...see pictures!!

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
I HAD to get cornrows last week. I am pleased with the way that they turned out, however I am not pleased with what led me to get them. My hair has practically come out in my hands in some areas. On my last relaxer I got a corrective to help with underprocessed areas. Guess what happened? My hair has broken off practically all over my head about 4 inches down the hair shaft. The right side that you see in my October pics....gone. The back....broken with wispy, pathetic ends. The top.....broken off so badly it looks like I picked up scissors and cut out a 3 square inch area. No protein treatment in the world could help me. I tried the Aphogee, I moisturized, kept it in protective styles. But the love-affair was over. All of the work that I had done since I joined this hair board seemed in vain. If I was to cut my hair to reflect how mush damage was done it would be 4 inches all around. I had to do something cause I was on the verge of a serious hair-related nervous breakdown. So what I decided to do was.....TRANSITION!!! I have transitioned before in the past and I have always loved my natural texture. It grew fast and was always so thick and shiny. I haven't been natural since 1989. So, since my husband is out of the country for a year and can't complain, I am going to take this time to transition with braided protective styles. It's funny that he has the nerve to complain anyways. When he met me, I was rocking a 2 inch cinnanmon-colored afro. I wash, condition and twist his hair once a week. In a year and a half, I have this man's 2 strand twists laying on his shoulders! So I am a little jealous!Wish me luck!!

My pics

GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL,

YOur hair looks good. I really like those.
up.gif

See! I love your braids. You can not see the 'knot' youknow, where the hair starts. That is what I want so bad. And I love the style! I may have to copy it.

-lee

Re: I got cornrows for the first time...see pictur

They look really nice. I can't believe you had such breakage. Your hair looks totally healthy in ALL of your pics.

Your cornrows look nice on you, you have the head for them. Remember that you have to moisturize your hair in cornrows to okay.

I am sorry that you experienced the breakage. Your braids look great, your hair will be back to the way you want it in no time
smile.gif

Your cornrows look really good! How much did they cost? All the braid salons around here charge $110 using the "feed method" where you don't see the knot.
mad.gif

Thank you ladies soooo much for your compliments!! Ms. Kenesha I paid $25 dollars!!! My neighbor does braids for practically everyone in the neighborhood. I was reluctant to get them done cause....welll.....I didn't want to look like everyone else up and down the street! She really done a great job. I showed her a picture in a braid book and she copied it exactly! It's a little tighter than I want but it's so worth it for the price. A_Christian, you are right, my hair will back in shape in no time at all. Patience and dedication.....

[ QUOTE ]
SpicedTee said:
Thank you ladies soooo much for your compliments!! Ms. Kenesha I paid $25 dollars!!! My neighbor does braids for practically everyone in the neighborhood. I was reluctant to get them done cause....welll.....I didn't want to look like everyone else up and down the street! She really done a great job. I showed her a picture in a braid book and she copied it exactly! It's a little tighter than I want but it's so worth it for the price. A_Christian, you are right, my hair will back in shape in no time at all. Patience and dedication.....

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW
shocked.gif
ST! I wish I could find someone that could braid that well and make it look that good. Your cornrows are gorgeous!
smile.gif

OMG! your braids are awesome!!! I love our design. I love braiding my hair into different designs. I have some pics I need to add to my album that I will probably do this weekend. Trust me, you are going to LOVE
love.gif
how easy your mornings will be now that you have the braids.

Since this is your first time getting your hair cornrowed, here a few tips that have really worked for me. If you want your braids to stay looking fresh for long awhile, one thing I do is mix pure Aloe gel in some distilled water (just enough water to make the gel sprayable) and spray them at night and then tie them down with a satin scarf. When doing this, mines look like they've been just done for two weeks; I take mine out every 2 weeks and let my head have a break for a week or so before redoing them. But keep in mind, I braid my own hair, it might be costly $$$ to do the same. I'm sure they will continue to look good even after 2 weeks.

Also, be sure to use a temple cream while they are in...you don't want your edges to thin. If you find that you have stray hairs popping up afterwhile, on the braids, just put some Aloe gel straight from the bottle on them...smooth them down and let them dry before pulling clothes over your head...I tend to keep mine tied up if I have to put clothes over my head just to keep them from rubbing and frizzing.

Also, when washing them be sure to mix your shampoo with water and then run it over your head and braids (pour in the direction that the braids are going) while using your fingers to go between the braids and down the extent of the braid. Also, so I don't "frizz" the braid, I only rinse by pouring cups of water over my hair instead of standing under a beating shower. I also tend to put the conditioner in a bottle, add water, and spray it on, and with my fingers work it into the scalp and down the braids. Then again, I rinse by pouring cups of water down the length of my hair. As soon as I get out of the shower, I only wrap my braids with a towel...DON'T RUB THEM!!! Then, I spray my braids with the aloe mixure followed by a conditioning braid spray..and be sure to pay attention to where the hair extends down the length of the braid...don't neglect moisturizing this hair...as well as the scalp. Again, put on temple cream! Whenever getting your braids redone, don't ever allow them to put them in too tight...this will make your hair break! If it's too tight, tell the person to take it out and redo it with less tention...the idea is to grow your hair not stress it further.

Good luck with your braids. If you have any questions, just drop me a PM...I'll see if I can help.

HTH
smile.gif

Back