I Got A Weave....Now what to do?

GrowmeNOW

Hey ladies. Well i just recently got a sew i weave:D (for prom) and, I really do love it and would like to keep it in for a while. Only problem is I dont understand how I am suppose to take care of my hair underneath, if I cant get to it:confused: . I am hoping to be able to stay weaved up until maybe nov or dec but I dont know how benefical(sp?) that will be if i cant take care of my real hair.:ohwell: Now of course i will be changing my weave throughout the 6monz, so i will wash my hair then. But what about the time inbetween the canges?:perplexed Please help i am a little lost. All comments are helpful:) .

You can wash your hair with the weave in. Just don't be too rough with it. And make sure you keep your hair moisturized underneath. You can use a braid spray or oil or something like that. I know some people like S Curl or Sta sof fro. I usually use African Royal BRX Braid and extension spray. It also stops the itchies.

Hi,
I noticed that some women with weaves wash their hair. I used to go to a dominican salon in Manhattan and women with tracks would be in there getting their hair washed, set and blowdried. So I guess taking care of your hair can be done.

thanx so much...how long do u usually wait before changing the hair (like taking all of the weave out and puttin in a new one?) and do you think this would be a good way to try and grow my hair out? (i want armpit length soooo bad)

bmoreflyygirl said:
You can wash your hair with the weave in. Just don't be too rough with it. And make sure you keep your hair moisturized underneath.

Ditto! You can do all the same things to your hair (ie, washing it) and scalp (moisturizing, BT, whatever) that you did before the weave, just a tad more carefully.

OT: Bmore, you look FANTASTIC girl!!!!!!!!

KiniKakes said:
Ditto! You can do all the same things to your hair (ie, washing it) and scalp (moisturizing, BT, whatever) that you did before the weave, just a tad more carefully.

OT: Bmore, you look FANTASTIC girl!!!!!!!!

Aww thanks Kini!! :kiss: OP - I'd say 6-8 weeks. You can leave it in up to 10-12 but I think most people take theirs down around 6-8 weeks. I usually get tired of the style around week 5 myself and take it out. It still looks good by then but I don't keep 1 style for too long.

This a good thread... I had the same questions. I plan on getting a sew in weave next month and plan on wearing sew in weaves until I reach my 1st goal.

Good Luck to you!

I currently have a sew in and I have had it for about 3 weeks. I have already washed it. I plan to keep mine in for about 3 or 4 months. That is my max! lol I will get it tightened Saturday (I do that every 2 or 3 weeks) and I MTG it. So just take of your hair as you normally do. I sit under a dryer to dry my hair underneath. My sew in is waist length so when I wash it I just let the shampoo run the length of my hair but make sure I was in between the braids. I condition from root to tip (in the shower) and I use Infusium 23 shampoo and conditioner because I have that Indian Remi hair that waves when you wet it and it has worked wonders for it wavey or straight. Or I use Suave Milk and Honey! HTH

Back