I found a way to stop breakage!

cocoberry10

Ladies:

I wrote a thread asking you how you prevent breakage. I was having terrible breakage at my ends. No matter what I did, I would have a clump of hair fall out on its own (before I combed or anything). It wasn't the normal shedding, b/c I couldn't see the bulb.

Anyway, yesterday I did a conditioner wash. Immediately before washing, I moisturized just my ends and began to detangle my hair with my fingers. I realized that my ends were twisting into each other and then breaking off. After I detangled with my fingers, I washed with conditioner. After rinsing conditioner out of my hair, I sat in front of the mirror with my creme moisturizer (UBH) and some coconut oil, and re-detangled with my fingers.

If you are having the same issue as me, make sure you are very gentle with your ends, because if you pull too hard, your hair will fall out. Detangle by gently pulling tangled ends apart and moisturizing every strand.

After that I rollerset my hair and it came out extremely soft (except my roots which will be relaxed on Saturday). I am 13 weeks post-relaxer and my hair feels extremely soft.

Thanks for all the advice.

Cocoberry10

im happy to hear you solved this. in general, and combing.fingering shoukld be done ends to root first.

and old remedy that stopped breakage in its tracks for me was dove intense moisture conditioner plus ORS carrot oil as leave ins.

congrats! I found that good mositurizing from wash to daily styling, which equalled softer hair put an end to my breakage issues.

Cocoberry 10,
you are right about being gentle with the hair when detangling. I thought that I was being gentle but after following advice on C & G website for hair brushing, I was surprised that I was not completely bald. I finally learnt how to brush hair gently, and believe me combined with proper hair care it has made a big difference! My hair is gradually but surely becoming thicker, after a month my hair is more manageable and the see-through ends are almost all gone. It's as if the broken hair has caught up in length with the unbroken hair. Correct hair-brushing allows hair products to be distributed along the length of the hair and work more efficiently.

MeechUK said:
Cocoberry 10,
you are right about being gentle with the hair when detangling. I thought that I was being gentle but after following advice on C & G website for hair brushing, I was surprised that I was not completely bald. I finally learnt how to brush hair gently, and believe me combined with proper hair care it has made a big difference! My hair is gradually but surely becoming thicker, after a month my hair is more manageable and the see-through ends are almost all gone. It's as if the broken hair has caught up in length with the unbroken hair. Correct hair-brushing allows hair products to be distributed along the length of the hair and work more efficiently.

What's the C&G website?

Back