I flat ironed at 10 weeks post!

atlien

And I likey:grin:. I thought I could never wear my hair straight at 10 weeks post:nono:. I was thinking about the how you will wear your hair for Thanksgiving thread and originally I posted I would wear my hair shirley temple ( spiral ) curled, but I wanted to see it straight. I have been wearing a ponytail bun for weeks I just wanted to see what my hair looked like straight so I conditioned overnight, blowdried the next morning, went to Wal- mart and brought a cheap ceramic flat iron and did the best I could....... below is how it turned out. Um my ends are raggedy, but I will dust them babies up when I get a relaxer.

I never ever use a flat iron or a blow dryer, but if it can get me straight while stretching I might have to re consider:look:.

So my questions are....Anyone flat iron on a regular?

If I flat iron my hair every morning for the next few days, will I experience a lot of damage:perplexed?

Last edited:
Great job with the flat iron and blowdryer. I think if you use heat daily it will cause damage and breakage.:nono: Most of the ladies will tell you that heat is a definite no. Especially on a daily basis. Sorry.... Enjoy it now though.. Don't think about that dreaded bun until tomorrow:look:

Really...:sad:..... Even if I oil the ends while flat ironing. I thought I could get away with this for a week:ohwell:.

Wrap your hair at night, and in the morning just comb it down. It shouldn't revert unless you get it wet or something.

Thanks for the link. I didn't even know this! I done fried my hair:nono:. I hope I haven't created no serious damage:nono:. I'm about to go soak my hair in moisturizer.

Don't forget to do a protein treatment sometime in the near future. You'll need to reconstruct any damage that you may have incurred. Remember you can't have one (moisture) without the other (protein).

I've read that you can use a heat protectant spray though (right guys?) Like Elasta QP Heat Protect?? Also you can do sylver2's method - I think she uses the iron once a week -wash day and then she ties her head up with a silk scarf to keep her edges smooth and then she swoops her back hair that's hanging out to the side like in a U then she sleeps with a bonnet over her entire head. Then she gets up in the morning and all she has to do is remove the bonnet the hair is still staight with a slight bump on the ends and the front is sleek from the silk scarf. HTHs

Basically you can use the heat once during the week and maintain the look while still achieving low manipulation.

I've read that you can use a heat protectant spray though (right guys?) Like Elasta QP Heat Protect?? Also you can do sylver2's method - I think she uses the iron once a week -wash day and then she ties her head up with a silk scarf to keep her edges smooth and then she swoops her back hair that's hanging out to the side like in a U then she sleeps with a bonnet over her entire head. Then she gets up in the morning and all she has to do is remove the bonnet the hair is still staight with a slight bump on the ends and the front is sleek from the silk scarf. HTHs

Basically you can use the heat once during the week and maintain the look while still achieving low manipulation.

Did she use oil on her hair before she flat ironed, because I did:perplexed and I hope I didn't cause any major damage. Is there a time span for when using oil and flat ironing will cause damage? Gosh I should have asked LHCF first :wallbash:

Really...:sad:..... Even if I oil the ends while flat ironing. I thought I could get away with this for a week:ohwell:.

Girl, ESPECIALLY if you use oil! :spank:

I am about 5-months post, and I am going to try and flat iron my hair as well. Gymfreak posted a thread about how her friend flat-ironed her hair with Garnier hair spray and I'm gonna try it.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=125358

The only thing I'm worried about is my new growth. They will revert even if I don't sweat, get them wet, or use a water-based moisturizer on it. They will start to "bush back up" after a couple of days. But I'm hoping Gym's method can work against this, maybe you can try it, too. I plan on using Mizani Thermasmooth line to try to get my hair as smooth as possible, too. I'm going for the relaxed look!
But no oil and do not use heat every day! :bat:

Oh, and I also agree with Artemis, using a protein is very important when using heat. I try to use protein before I use heat (henna) and after (Nexxus Emergencee). I would suggest incorporating a light protein (Hair Mayo) before and after, but since you have already used heat, then make sure to use a reconstructor/moderate protein for your next wash to repair any potential damage, as well as keeping your demarcation line strong. HTH

Did she use oil on her hair before she flat ironed, because I did:perplexed and I hope I didn't cause any major damage. Is there a time span for when using oil and flat ironing will cause damage? Gosh I should have asked LHCF first :wallbash:

I promise you...it's ok!! Since you've only done it one time, I'm pretty sure you didn't do too much damage. You didn't see any smoke or smell anything burning, did you :look:

Ok, I'm just kidding! Just make sure there is no oil in your hair while using direct heat next time. I can't hate on you though, I used to do this twice a month before LHCF but I would never advocate it now. My ends were still thick or whatever, but I probably had more hair on the floor than on my head :spinning:

TriniRican is right (one time for TNT!!). Make sure to use a heat protectant. I LOVE Chi Silk Infusion. It makes my hair really soft and shiny.

Yeah, I agree, if you saw smoke...:ohwell:

It'll be ok!! But just try not to dwell on it too much. Take care of your hair now and learn from it. Before LHCF, I used to flat iron (on high!) my hair w/Matrix Iron Smoother everyday (not the whole head, but not a little piece, either :nono:) and put wonder 8 oil on it too. Snap, crackle, pop--That's how I knew it was straight enough :wallbash:. Now I wouldn't dream of doing that. I didn't have a nervous breakdown and throw out all of my appliances and products, I just got on here and searched like a madwoman, took a break from heat, and got my hair healthy. Now, I know how to use heat safely and keep my hair strong and shiny with no ill effects.

It's important to understand the function/purpose of products and appliances before you use them, so that you're not doing something haphazardly. This is one of the reasons why LHCF is so important.

hi, thanks for recommending my method:-)
To clairfy i definately don't use the flat iron once a week and wouldn't recommend it. i wash hair every 2 weeks. this year i wore braidouts all spring and summer and have flat ironed my hair a total of 3 times in 2007. i use the satin scarf to keep roots flat. i would not recommend putting oil on before flat ironing. a light heat protectant rub throuout entire head b4hand is fine.

OP I think you will be okay. Don't make it part of normal routine though.

Thanks girlie....I am not flat ironing again! I never use heat and when I finally do it's all wrong. I hope I will be okay because if my ends start to look jacked up from me flat ironing with oil one time...I will cut that short bob again. I've done it before. I just hope it doesn't get to that point:nono:.

Back