I finally stopped lurking....but now I need some help with moisture

ricaross

After about 2 months of lurking :sekret: I've finally decided join after all of the great advice I've gotten from you guys. So first....THANK YOU:D

But now I need some more advice. For some reason my hair is really dry and at first felt like I needed a haircut. Since I've stopped using one of my moisturizers the weirdness is gone, but it still feels really dry. I'm not sure what to do. :huh:

My Regimen constist of:

~ Partial weave to I dont play with my hair.
~ CO washes 1- 2 per wk with Proclaim conditioner
~ Infusium 23 leave in after wash
~ Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Lotion
~ Ion Silk Solutions Silk Drops
~ Seal with Castor Oil

My hair feels great up until it completely drys what should I do? Do I need a new conditioner or a different moisturizer?

(sorry for the long post)

ETA: So I went out and got the Keracare conditioner and herbal essences clarifying shampoo and washed with distiled water. I am so amazed my hair has never been this soft and this straight. Thank you guys so much.....I'm still looking for some cantu shea cream....but the whole feel of it has totally improved. so THANK YOU

Last edited:
Infusium is a porotien cond. so maybe try alternating with a moisturizing leave in.

i used to use wave nouveau for a moisturizer. i like ors olive oil (in jar) better, my usually super dry hair has been doing way better since the switch.

also, since u have been only doing CO washes--u may have build up which is not letting moisture penetrate ur hair. Try using a shampoo to clarify.

oh--and maybe incorp. DC (deep conditioning) with a moisturizing conditioner into ur routine---that's great for moisture

Welcome to the forum! Yep the infusium may be what is drying out your hair. So If if were you I would use it in moderation. Also make sure that you are using a water based moisturizer.;)

Last edited:
Welcome to the board girl! We're happy to have you! :D

Im not really familiar with those products, so cant really say for sure whether or not i think they may be contributing to dryness. I do use the Infusium 23 leave-in though, and thats been fine for me.

I know you'll find the answers here eventually. This place is a wealth of knowledge!!!!

How long have you been co-washing?

That does not always work for everyone and can have an opposite effect for some of us. Personally I MUST shampoo my hair and not just that, I have to use a clarifying/chelating shampoo for the 1st lather because of my water quality.

If I don't start my conditoning and moisturizing on fresh clean hair, my hair starts getting dry. :confused: It is really odd, actually.

Also, you could try switching up conditioners to try something new. I am not trying to turn you into a PJ by any means :eyebrows2 but maybe trying one new conditioner to see if it is more moisturing.

Which Proclaim conditioner do you use. I just bought that Olive Oil one and I look forward to usign it. It smells really good.

HoneyDew said:
That does not always work for everyone and can have an opposite effect for some of us. Personally I MUST shampoo my hair and not just that, I have to use a clarifying/chelating shampoo for the 1st lather because of my water quality.

Also, you could try switching up conditioners to try something new. I am not trying to turn you into a PJ by any means :eyebrows2 but maybe trying one new conditioner to see if it is more moisturing.

Which Proclaim conditioner do you use. I just bought that Olive Oil one and I look forward to usign it. It smells really good.

You know Honeydew....now that you mention it i do have really hard water. Don't worry about turning me into a PJ I'm already one and god knows I need to stop. I currently use the Proclaim Aloe & Shea Butter Moisturizing Conditioner but I'm starting to think that it's not the best one for me.

Guys thanks for the warm welcomes and all the advice currently and in the past ( while i was lurking)

ricaross said:
You know Honeydew....now that you mention it i do have really hard water. Don't worry about turning me into a PJ I'm already one and god knows I need to stop. I currently use the Proclaim Aloe & Shea Butter Moisturizing Conditioner but I'm starting to think that it's not the best one for me.

Guys thanks for the warm welcomes and all the advice currently and in the past ( while i was lurking)

For my water quality, I use Kenra Clarifying or Redken Cleansing cream. That Sunsilk No Major issues has been good too, but is not really "clarifying" in the squeaky clean kind of way. That one may be good for you since you like to co wash.

Today I bought Ion shampoo for hardwater from Sally's. They have a BOGO FREE coupon on the their site so I thought I would try that one.

Really I think any shampoo with Disodium EDTA or Tetrasodium EDTA (which includes most of them) are good. I just prefer the squeaky clean for each wash. Honestly w/o shampoos that contain ones of these ingredients, all the work I do for my hair DOES NOTHING. I still ended up with weird hair.

They do have chelating conditioners, too. Those may be work for you to do along with your co-washing.

ricaross said:
After about 2 months of lurking :sekret: I've finally decided join after all of the great advice I've gotten from you guys. So first....THANK YOU:D

But now I need some more advice. For some reason my hair is really dry and at first felt like I needed a haircut. Since I've stopped using one of my moisturizers the weirdness is gone, but it still feels really dry. I'm not sure what to do. :huh:

My Regimen constist of:

~ Partial weave to I dont play with my hair.
~ CO washes 1- 2 per wk with Proclaim conditioner
~ Infusium 23 leave in after wash
~ Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Lotion
~ Ion Silk Solutions Silk Drops
~ Seal with Castor Oil

My hair feels great up until it completely drys what should I do? Do I need a new conditioner or a different moisturizer?

(sorry for the long post)
Welcome ! Glad you've come aboard ! As for the dry hair, mine is also, used not be so , but it is now.

You may need to change products. buy things suggested to you on the board, save your receipt, if it works, yahhhh ! if it doesnt, take it back with the receipt. make sure to ask if you can return the item b 4 you buy it.

Ok, like infusium for the leave in, its a good product but does nothing for me. I need moisture. So I use an oil (olive) or a cream base product (cantu shea cream) for a leave in.

Try Elulence or keracare humecto or ORS Hair Mayo for a moisterizing conditioner, and let remain on for an hour.

Moisterize your ends nightly with a lil curl activator or cantu shea crm...i think it will do much better...hth ;)

Plus, check to see if u have hard water. you can use alllllll the moisterizing conds there are, but it will dry your hair to a crisp.

9.gif

Back