I FINALLY FOUND SOMEONE TO DO MY WEAVE

mstankers

and I have to thank everyone on this board for helping me out. My appointement is soon and I will be posting to let you all know the experience. She was the ONLY stylist who showed me a book of her styles and suggested waht would look good on my face and which textures were not for me!

Are you in NYC? Please let me know the info on this stylist!
Please share
grin.gif

thanks
caralexis

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
pebbles said:
That's great to hear mstankers.
cool.gif
Let us know how it goes.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

pliz do
smile.gif

Hi, all. Sorry so long in responding. I am in NY and I have had a heck of a horrible time finding someone to give me a good sew in full head weave. Every stylist I went to turned their head around in circle when I let them know I was NOT interested in having my full head permed and did not want to use the cover cap. This particular stylist showed me her book of work (no one ever had one) and told me that some of hair will show (i am having a part) and that she can perm ONLY the part that is going to be shown which is about (put two fingers next to each other). She told me to take off my hat (I have been wearing them since those braids broke my hair) and looked at my hair to tell me which color I should get. She gave me the alternative of getting my hair from two different places. She told me I can get hair from any beauty supply store IF my budget does not allow me to go where she prefers- a place in Brooklyn that custom blends the hair for your hair color. I liked the fact that she gave me an option because although I cannot afford the good hair or going to her salon I am saving my money and will have to forgo stocking up on other things. Anyhoo, she charges A LOT BUT she is the only person I have felt totally comfortable with. She knows her stuff. Hold on to your seats ladies...She charges $300 for the weave and the hair I'm getting is gonna cost $125. First off, I cannot afford this. However, I have started selling stuff on ebay becuase the cheaper salons I found did not know what they were doing and had no idea what I was talking about when I asked themn about different weave techniques. I feel like it is better to go to a place where I am comfortable than do choose the cheaper salon where I might walk out of there looking like a girl from a southern rap video. What do ya'll think????

Hey mstankers,

I was just wondering about just having part of your hair relaxed. Is that going to be a problem at all in the future for you? I'm assuming that you are going to wear this weave for a while, but the day you want to come out of it, will you then relax your whole head, or will you just cut it all off and start fresh? At any rate, $425.00 is a lot of money.
shocked.gif
But, if you're comfortable with her, and she is willing to work with you until you are completely satisfied with her work, I say go for it.
cool.gif

This is JUST my humble opinion, but for a sew-in weave $300 is twice as much as you should be paying. I have THICK, long natural hair and it all has to corn-rowed and tucked in and I pay $150 max. My weaves are undetectable and I have never used a cover cap. I think this salon is way expensive, especially if you want to re-weave every 2-3 months... How will you afford to keep going... I think I would try Harlem or Brooklyn... Because it seems to me you want a good sew-in, no cover cap with a bit of the front and top left out for blending. That is not a tall order and you shouldn't have to relax OR pay $300 for this. Also the hair thing...since hair is rarely re-usable that's kind of on the price side too....

I agree. I would never pay that much for a weave, and the hair too.
shocked.gif
I've had a weave done for $100. I'd pay in the one hundreds, and below, nothing above. But of course, this is all personal preference.

I think $425 is a little pricey.

I get my hair braided at Sow's Braiding Center on 125th and St. Timothy they also do weaves but they don't style. Now, I've never had them do my weave because I learned a long time ago how to do my own but when I was there several months ago the girl next to me was getting one. They braided all of her hair except for a part down the middle and I think a little hair line. Her hair was too cute. I asked how much they charged her and she said $125 and that included hair.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and pay the $125 for the hair because a good quality hair can make all the difference and then I'd go to somewhere like Sow's and have them put it in for you. It would probably be between $75-$100 if you BYOH. You would have to go to stylist if you wanted it layered or something. But this is a much cheaper route.

You could even go up to Sow's.... They have plenty of books to look through. Sow is the owner, her english is a little suspect but she'll be more than happy to show you their work.

Good Luck.

I think the price of getting the weave is pricey (300) but I do believe you get what you pay for and I like the stylist and the salon. The salon is cozy and I feel I will be happy with the results. I am just glad I found a place that sells great hair. I am going to take before and after photos to post for you guys.

Well, I decided everyone on the forum knows best and I am NOT paying $300 for a weave. Thanks for the good advice everyone!

Back