I Finally Did It - First Henna Treatment!

Beautiful!!! What kind of henna did you use? Did you order it from online? What was the whole henna process? I know I'm asking alot of questions....

janiebaby said:
Beautiful!!! What kind of henna did you use? Did you order it from online? What was the whole henna process? I know I'm asking alot of questions....

Thank you! I bought my henna online from Henna Sooq. Her website address is http://www.hennasooq.com/. I've also heard that the henna at http://www.hennaforhair.com is also great! I live in somewhat of a small town, so there are no local Indian stores that sell henna. Jamila henna is the brand that seems to be the most popular. I did not use that particular brand, but what I used definitely worked very well! Here is what I used.

1. BAQ (body art quality) henna
2. Indigo
3. Alma Powder
4. Coffee
5. Pinch of cinnamon
6. Essential Oil (orange)

I mixed the henna up the night before with the coffee and cinnamon until it was the consistency of pancake batter and set it aside overnight for the dye to release. The next day I mixed up the indigo with water and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I then mixed the henna, indigo, a little alma, and the essential oil together. I used 2/3 henna and 1/3 indigo.

After I applied the henna/indigo mixture to my hair, I wrapped my hair with plastic wrap and sat underneath my dryer for one hour. I rinsed the henna out with conditioner, washed once, and deep conditioned with ORS Replenishing Pak for one hour.

Afterwards, my hair was so soft and strong. I could immediately see a deep red tint to my hair, but after a few days, the color became stronger. My hair still looks brown from a distance, but up close and in the sun, it has a really nice deep auburn color. I think that the next time I do a henna treatment I'll add a little more indigo.

I hope that helps!

mw138 said:
Thank you! I bought my henna online from Henna Sooq. Her website address is http://www.hennasooq.com/. I've also heard that the henna at http://www.hennaforhair.com is also great! I live in somewhat of a small town, so there are no local Indian stores that sell henna. Jamila henna is the brand that seems to be the most popular. I did not use that particular brand, but what I used definitely worked very well! Here is what I used.

1. BAQ (body art quality) henna
2. Indigo
3. Alma Powder
4. Coffee
5. Pinch of cinnamon
6. Essential Oil (orange)

I mixed the henna up the night before with the coffee and cinnamon until it was the consistency of pancake batter and set it aside overnight for the dye to release. The next day I mixed up the indigo with water and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I then mixed the henna, indigo, a little alma, and the essential oil together. I used 2/3 henna and 1/3 indigo.

After I applied the henna/indigo mixture to my hair, I wrapped my hair with plastic wrap and sat underneath my dryer for one hour. I rinsed the henna out with conditioner, washed once, and deep conditioned with ORS Replenishing Pak for one hour.

Afterwards, my hair was so soft and strong. I could immediately see a deep red tint to my hair, but after a few days, the color became stronger. My hair still looks brown from a distance, but up close and in the sun, it has a really nice deep auburn color. I think that the next time I do a henna treatment I'll add a little more indigo.

I hope that helps!
Very beautiful, shiny hair! You did a great job!
About the coffee, did you brew the coffee first or make instant coffee? And how much coffee and Amla powder did you use? Thanks for sharing your picture and experience.

I'd also like to know the amounts used. Also what is the purpose of henna? Does it cover gray? What are the benefits ? What are the drawbacks?

Isis said:
Very beautiful, shiny hair! You did a great job!
About the coffee, did you brew the coffee first or make instant coffee? And how much coffee and Amla powder did you use? Thanks for sharing your picture and experience.

I just made some instant coffee. Unfortunately, I didn't really measure the amount of coffee that I used. I just added it to the henna little by little until it was the right consistency (pancake batter). I used approximately 3 tablespoons of alma power.

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Brinasia said:
I'd also like to know the amounts used. Also what is the purpose of henna? Does it cover gray? What are the benefits ? What are the drawbacks?

Here are the approximate amounts that I used of each item.
1. BAQ Yemeni Henna powder (from Henna Sooq) - 100 grams
2. Indigo - 35 grams
3. Alma - 3 tablespoons
4. Instant Coffee - don't have an amount, I added the liquid little by little until the henna reached the right consistency
5. Orange Essential Oil - enough to make the hay smell go away ;)

I only have 3 or 4 gray hairs. The henna treatment made the gray turn a reddish-orange color. From what I've researched and experienced, henna is a great conditioning and strengthening treatment. My hair turned out very soft and a great color that I love. The shine is also a great plus!

Unfortunately, I do not know any drawbacks other than the process can seem a little complicated and time-consuming.

Last edited:
Precious_1 said:
Your hair looks really good, how do you use henna and indigo at the same time? I want dark black hair

Thank you! :)

I mixed the henna and indigo together before I applied it so I could achieve more of a brown shade. If you want black hair, you should apply the henna first, let it sit on your hair, rinse, and then apply the indigo separately. According to http://hennaforhair.com, you should achieve black hair with this method.

I have been wanting to try henna and looking at your hair only wants to want to try it even more. Your hair looks beautiful. And your method/mixture of one of the more simple ones that I have seen.

CoCoGirl821 said:
I have been wanting to try henna and looking at your hair only wants to want to try it even more. Your hair looks beautiful. And your method/mixture of one of the more simple ones that I have seen.

I would definitely recommend trying henna! :)

Brinasia said:

Henna is a plant that grows in very dry places, it is a shrub. The leaves are ground and sifted.

Yes, it colors gray hair. Mine are a deep reddish/auburn.

Benefits are stronger hair, detangling, softness, bling-bling shine and an apparent loosening of texture very slightly.

No drawbacks unless it is done incorrectly. Or one of those rare people who are allergic to it.

Back