I don't recommend it - ULTA's Liquid Keratin Treatment

texasqt

I actually did this about 2 weeks ago. My initial results were great but after the first wash it was as if I never did the treatment. For the price and the size of the bottles, it's not worth it. Might as well save up and purchase a BKT.

I chose to do the treatment because I have a mix of breaking texlaxed and relaxed hair and was trying to avoid relaxing again before my 3 month stretch. The treatment claims to stop breakage and that's where I was disappointed. I was expecting no breakage but there was only a slight reduction. It did make my hair more manageable which I liked and my hair was amazing after the treatment. Definitely salon results. It had body and bounce and it was very soft and shiny. However, according to the directions I needed to rewash my hair after 2 days. That's when my hair zapped right back to the afro/straight combo as if I had never used the treatment. You're suppose to continue to use the treatment on your hair throughout the 6 weeks that its suppose to last but if you are continuing to use the product then that means it is not lasting, you're just reapplying it. So, for me it's not worth the money to upkeep. Here are some of my pics:
Size of bottles:
DSC04901-vi.jpg

Hair after shampooing (texture shot)
DSC04902-vi.jpg

Blowdried hair on top; LKT on bottom
DSC04921-vi.jpg

Finished results
DSC04924-vi.jpg

DSC04936-vi.jpg

DSC04940-vi.jpg

DSC04945-vi.jpg

Your hair looks very pretty in the pics.:yep:
I'm sorry it didn't stop your breakage. What's your next move with your hair situation?

I really love your hair color. What color is that, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks! That's the only thing natural about my hair :grin: I don't know what color to call it or even how to describe it so I just call it brown.

Thanks for posting updates.
Thanks for the review.Your hair looks great!
You both are welcome! The results were great and I would keep using it if it lasted longer and wasn't so expensive for its size.

Your hair looks very pretty in the pics.:yep:
I'm sorry it didn't stop your breakage. What's your next move with your hair situation?

My next move...I'm still trying to figure it out. Since the treatment I relaxed with the intentions of relaxing straight to combat the breakage but it still came out texlased so....IDK. I wish you could do my hair :grin:

My next move...I'm still trying to figure it out. Since the treatment I relaxed with the intentions of relaxing straight to combat the breakage but it still came out texlased so....IDK. I wish you could do my hair :grin:

Awwww...thanks chica! :grin:
Yeah you gotta figure out what's causing the breakage. Maybe you should work on a product process of elimination if you haven't already.

Thanks for this. I was considering this because it is more cheaper than the other. I guess you get what you pay for. I think I will stick with what I know if I decide to straiten my hair.:rolleyes:

It's not a relaxer so your hair will basically keep it's texture. The product only makes your hair smoother when using heat and usually you use less heat because of the product. Also it's supposed to last 4-6 wks and you maintain it with the products that come with it or products without sodium chloride. You shouldnt have to do again before 4 wks but it shouldnt harm your hair to use again.

If you use heat once a week or more this may actually help you to use less heat and maybe have less breakage. You should be able to get 2 uses out of the kit (I think) based on your hair thickness and length. I think the results are more lasting with continued use from whats stated on the website but I do not know this for sure.

Not sure that it will stop a lot of breakage with one use. See how you feel in a month.

:wave: these treatments are not supposed be very effective (for straightening) on non damaged/ chemically treated hair. So if you have virgin/ natural hair IT DOES NOT GET YOUR HAIR STRAIGHT without styling, it just makes it EASIER to get straight or other styles, as it coats your strands making them smoother and easier to detangle/ style. I think your hair looks great:yep:

The BKT treatment and others are most effective (for straightening) on relaxed/ chemically treated hair as it fills into the broken down parts of your hair which causes the hair to be straight.

I know you don't like the results..but you look like you just step out the salon. Your hair does look good. I hope you find something for the breakage.

I actually did this about 2 weeks ago. My initial results were great but after the first wash it was as if I never did the treatment. For the price and the size of the bottles, it's not worth it. Might as well save up and purchase a BKT.

What shampoo did you use? I've read where you have to use a shampoos free of sodium, otherwise it strips the treatment and your hair goes back to it original state.

:wave: these treatments are not supposed be very effective (for straightening) on non damaged/ chemically treated hair. So if you have virgin/ natural hair IT DOES NOT GET YOUR HAIR STRAIGHT without styling, it just makes it EASIER to get straight or other styles, as it coats your strands making them smoother and easier to detangle/ style. I think your hair looks great:yep:

The BKT treatment and others are most effective (for straightening) on relaxed/ chemically treated hair as it fills into the broken down parts of your hair which causes the hair to be straight.

Thanks a BILLION times.

It's not a relaxer so your hair will basically keep it's texture. The product only makes your hair smoother when using heat...it's supposed to last 4-6 wks and you maintain it with the products that come with it...You shouldnt have to do again before 4 wks... I think the results are more lasting with continued use from whats stated on the website but I do not know this for sure....Not sure that it will stop a lot of breakage with one use. See how you feel in a month.

Hothair and Rain - everything you both said is true. I don't have virgin hair. My hair is chemically treated (relaxed and texlaxed) and breaking like crazy (short hairs no bulb). It did make my hair smoother and I loved the immediate results, etc. but my main reason for trying it out was for my breakage. Overtime and with multiple applications, it probably will meet expectations but to have to continue using it between treatments and the size of the bottles and cost are what do not add up for me. I'd rather invest in BKT ($300) and have 10+ treatments that last 2-4 months than only 3 or 4 with Liquid Keratin for about the same price ($70 each) that only last 1 month. Granted I do prefer shopping in store than ordering online and it's formaldehyde free so the investment may be worth it if you're worried about the formaldehyde in BKT - something to consider!. They offer all of the other products except for the treatment in larger bottles so maybe once they start offering larger bottles of the treatment I'll reconsider.

I know you don't like the results..but you look like you just step out the salon. Your hair does look good. I hope you find something for the breakage.

Thanks Princess! I loved the results! If you ever used Aphogee's Keratin Spray, it reminded me of how my hair feels after that but better. It's the longterm/repeated use of the product that I don't care for.

What shampoo did you use? I've read where you have to use a shampoos free of sodium, otherwise it strips the treatment and your hair goes back to it original state.

I used the shampoo that came with the kit per the directions.

Thanks a BILLION times.

@Auburn - are you still using yours?

Last edited:
Hothair and Rain - everything you both said is true. I don't have virgin hair. My hair is chemically treated (relaxed and texlaxed) and breaking like crazy (short hairs no bulb). It did make my hair smoother and I loved the immediate results, etc. but my main reason for trying it out was for my breakage. Overtime and with multiple applications, it probably will meet expectations but to have to continue using it between treatments and the size of the bottles and cost are what do not add up for me. I'd rather invest in BKT ($300) and have 10+ treatments that last 2-4 months than only 3 or 4 with Liquid Keratin for about the same price ($70 each) that only last 1 month. Granted I do prefer shopping in store than ordering online and it's formaldehyde free (the investment may be worth it if you're worried about the formaldehyde in BKT - something to consider)!. They offer all of the other products except for the treatment in larger bottles so maybe once they start offering larger bottles of the treatment I'll reconsider.

Thanks Princess! I loved the results! If you ever used Aphogee's Keratin Spray, it reminded me of how my hair feels after that but better. It's the longterm/repeated use of the product that I don't care for.

I used the shampoo that came with the kit per the directions.

@Auburn - are you still using yours?

The treatment is still in my hair it seems. I will use it again for manageability later this year probably.

Your hair does look like you stepped out of the salon. I do like the fact that this is formaldehyde free. Thanks for the honest review.

That's when my hair zapped right back to the afro/straight combo as if I had never used the treatment. You're suppose to continue to use the treatment on your hair throughout the 6 weeks that its suppose to last but if you are continuing to use the product then that means it is not lasting, you're just reapplying it. So, for me it's not worth the money to upkeep. Here are some of my pics:

BKT is most effective in straightening for relaxed hair so that's why the new growth reverted back so easily. It's most effective in porous hair. It's looked soft and silky, though.

BKT is most effective in straightening for relaxed hair so that's why the new growth reverted back so easily. It's most effective in porous hair. It's looked soft and silky, though.

Not BKT but the Liquid Keratin Treatment sold at Ulta and that "new growth" is actually what my texlaxed hair looks like :lachen:

I asked customer service whether or not you had to wash your hair within 48 hours and this was the response I got. I wish I had known this when I used it the first time. :wallbash: Just thought I'd share for anyone researching this product.

Thank you for your inquiry.

We are very excited about the recent launch of Liquid Keratin and are overwhelmed with the positive response and feedback we have been receiving. To answer your question, no you don't have to wash your hair after the 48 hours. We do recommend that you don't leave it in longer than 96 hours. Liquid Keratin is not a relaxer. For the initial application, you must use a flat iron for best results and wear your hair straight for 48 hours. After passing the flat iron, you will notice the difference in the texture of your hair. Liquid Keratin will loosen your curl and can tame unwanted frizz for up to 30 days with only one application. Liquid Keratin gives you the choice to wear your hair curly without frizz or wear your hair straight with very little styling or product required. The Liquid Keratin Aftercare products (shampoo, conditioner and leave in) are key in prolonging the process. They are specially formulated without Sodium Chloride. Sodium Chloride, which is in a lot of hair care products, will diminish the effects of the Liquid Keratin Treatment very quickly.

Sincerely,

Liquid Keratin Customer Service

There are instructions in the kit that tell you how long to leave your hair straightened before washing. How would this information have helped you u? Do you think it may have come out better or worse if you would have known? How are things now?

There are instructions in the kit that tell you how long to leave your hair straightened before washing. How would this information have helped you u? Do you think it may have come out better or worse if you would have known? How are things now?

I only used the treatment once and I had great results. What I didn't like was after the 48 hour wash my hair was like I had applied nothing at all (unlike BKT). I don't know if leaving it in longer would have changed this but if I had known I could have left it in my hair for up to 96 hours I think it would have been less stress on my hair having to do the process over again within 48 hours (blowdrying & flatironing - I prefer to wear my hair flatironed). I really liked my hair the first 48 and I could have enjoyed it a bit longer had I known this information. That's all really.

They claim with continued use your hair will improve and that may be so but at $70 a kit, continued use means a lot of money when there are other alternatives.

I may use this kit for the conditioning effects. Can anyone speak on that? I'm not looking to straighten.

IDK. Maybe other users will chime in on this. I loved how straight, smooth, and healthy my hair felt after the first treatment so I guess the conditioning effect is present. But after the 48 hour wash and reapplying it didn't seem to take the same way. From what I could gather, the product's effects don't really last 30 days because they recommend that you keep applying it during the 30 days. They've just given you 30 days worth of product. The difference is, unlike the first treatment, the following treatments do not have to be left on the hair for the 30 minutes or so that the first treatment requires. :ohwell: So if you don't mind using it continuously and you have other sodium chloride free products to maintain it, I would guess so :perplexed

Back