I don't know...

TonicaG

TonicaG
Ladies,

Maybe it's just me, but I discovered this weekend while attempting to put my hair in a ballet bun, I was breaking the ends of my hair. I thought I was doing good by putting it in a "protective style" but I was doing more harm than good. The trick is to put the Good Day Hair Pin/Bobby Pin in position to secure the hair but as I'm inserting the hair, I can hear the hair popping. When I remove the pin, I experience the same thing.

Last week I wore spirals the entire week. Not one problem at all, no breakage, NUTHIN!!!

I guess in essence what I'm saying is, just because the hair is "up", it isn't necessarily a protective style. Does anyone feel what a sistah is saying?...

I didn't have problems with hair breakage with my buns although some of the ladies here have. I'm sure it's how the buns are made and secured that makes a difference. I've never tried a ballet bun, just kept it simple with a loosely, braided bun pinned under with a Good Hair Day pin like you used. You're right though, just because it's an updo doesn't automatically mean no breakage. It's how we safely create our updos.

I feel the same way, I'm always scared to place my hair in a ponytail b/c of the stress on the hair under the band (even though I've used ouchless bands soaked in olive oil). I've experience a little breakage (not much)when I take it down.

So I've started putting extra moisturizer (Cantu & coconut oil) in the area where the band will be. I'm giving it a few days to see if this helps.

If it takes alot of manipulation (pulling, tugging, twisting) to get your hair up, then it can be damaging.

my hair always suffers less damage when i wear it down. pulling it back, is too much tension and manipulation. i feel exactly what you are saying...

Back