I don't know what to do with my hair

Selene

I don\'t know what to do with my hair

Sigh...I don't know what to do with my thick relaxed hair. I currently have a bob, the front reaches to my collar bone and the back reaches to my collar. I need something quick I can do without devoting too much time and money to (like weaving). I shift between wanting to grow it out naturally, wanting to cut it short and wanting to grow it out long and relaxed. This psorasis is driving me nuts. Soon as I wash my hair, its flaked up again. I am wearing a bun now, but that's not the most flattering hair style because I have a big head and a round face. I just don't know what to do with it.....it has been growing, but I can see with the new job, I don't have time to devote to wash, wrapping, and flat ironing every 3 days.

Re: I don\'t know what to do with my hair

Have you considered getting braids? They're are so cute styles that you may like. The Human Hair Braids, the ones with the loose ends comes in a variety of colors, textures, etc. maybe you can try those for awhile.

Try washing it less. I wear my hair curly to prevent it from looking so drab. This is particularly helpful in the summer when a washing doesn't last as long.

A weave doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming. If you know someone who can cornrow they may do it for free or cheap. A natural looking weave would probably be the most low maintenance. Be careful when choosing the hair though as that can make or break your style.

Also, the shake and go style is very low maintenance and you can wash/ rinse your hair everyday if you want. Good luck and HTH!

Chanteuse, I just did the weave thing and I've come to the conclusion that every time I braid my hair my psorasis will flare up. No matter what I put on my scalp it itches and itches. When you say shake and go are you referring to a braid out? I may try that.....

Pretty Brown---I don't think I can get away with braids in the law office setting. None of the other attorneys here have them. And if I get braids, then I have to deal with the scalp flare up again (which only gets better after I take the brais out) :-(

Am I doomed to just have either a cute long style covered with flakes from the psorasis or will I have to suffer the bun and wet hair (from the constant washing) to keep it from being flakey. The dermatologist gave me some topical ointment for the scalp, but the only thing that seems to really work is steroid shots. (Which I am not in the mood to do, I can't afford the weight gain).

Actually I meant when you wash your hair, scrunch some product in it (conditioner/moisturizer) and it dries curly. However the braidout is another good alternative.

Hmm, you've got me thinking here. What about the instant weaves? Kind of like a partial wig but the front of your hair is left out. You could wrap the part of your hair that is covered (if cornrows wont work for you) and wash as often as needed.

Blaxalrose,

I work in a courthouse although I'm not an attorney I do work in Administration and I thought of the Human Hair Braids because they are small and you can wear them in an updo or even a bun.

I see though that your main problem is your scalp. Sorry you're going through this. I can't think of any other suggestion. It seems like you'd be able to rinse your scalp at least as often as needed with these braids without having to do much to your hair afterwards.

Hope you find a solution soon.
smile.gif

I have psorasis as well and there is hope. My friend recommended that I go to the local health food store and seek natural treatments. I was skeptical at first but I was so SICK and TIRED of the huge ugly flakes I was willing to try anything.

They were extremely helpful. Per their advice, I added flax seed oil and evening primrose oils to my vitamin intake. I cut way back on the dairy products. Most of all I stopped applying oils, creams, etc to my scalp. When I moisturize now I only put it on my hair.

Also, try adding tea tree oil to your shampoo. If you have a health food or natural foods store around go and ask them to show you what you could use for natural remedies. I can't use the over the counter or prescribed medications for it because they are way to strong and drying.

Back