I don't know what to do with my hair. AT ALL! Help! Open to anything.

RavenMaven

Alright. I'm in high school, graduating soon, and my mom finally gave me free rights to my hair. I can do anything to it, as long as I don't chop it all off. So the FIRST thing I wanted to do was GO NATURAL. My last relaxer (Mizani Regular) was for my debutante ball which was on the 20th of December '08.

I would just ask my mom, but she just chopped all of her hair off and doesn't really know what she's doing herself.

I have no idea what to do with my hair. Everyone has always told me that I had "good hair" when I was a baby. My 2b/c hair is most likely the result of Native American ancestry...blah blah. Anyways. I don't really have a set shampoo and conditioner or anything. I almost never wash my hair. If I do, I wait like two or three weeks. I know it sounds gross. But I like my hair to lay flat, and if I wash it often, it gets really poofy and I get that old Oprah Winfrey look.

When I do wash my hair, I just use whatever is around... I always put Hot Six Oil in with the shampoo when I wash, and I do one conditioner in the shower, and I condition again with the rinse-out conditioner, but I don't rinse it out... I wrap my hair with the conditioner in it and just go to bed with the shower cap on so that I can get my hair moisturized all night.

I used to use MTG and BT back in Oct/Nov '08, but that got boring. I got results, though. It left a nice sheen on my hair. I also used Lenzi's Request. I think that stuff worked pretty well on my edges.

Oh Yeah, sometimes when I wash my hair and then dry it with a blowdryer (i don't do that often anymore) I get dry ends and I can't really tell if those are split ends, or just dry ends. But my friends always tell me that I barely have any split ends.

Braids--is an option, but I would have to save up my money because it's expensive up here to get a good hairstyle. Almost 200 bucks!

So I basically don't have any hair products that are a staple...just the Hot Six Oil, and that stuff has been working pretty well. I just know there has to be something better.

So I'm asking for some recommendations on a regimen (teach me how to wash my hair and what do I do after?)transitioning tips, etc.

Right now I am wearing full wigs as a protective style. My sig pic is a wig, so don't go by that. My hair looks exactly like the wig but just shoulder length.

Thanks in advance for the help!

if your hair is type 2 why is it relaxed...i'm guessing that wasn't your decision...

your regimen sounds fine with all the conditioning you got going on...but product names would still be helpful. do you moisturize daily? if so, what do you use?

I am not an expect but I remember hearing that a lot of ppl say that Co-washing helps a lot with the transition and getting a good moisturizer for the hair.. Good luck with your transition

Welcome to LHCF!

I'm not good with giving advise. But first thing first. I had to read your post over a couple of times (reading comprehension was never my thing).

To start off, I would recommend taking babysteps. Since you mentioned you had a relaxer and you wish to go natural. May I ask, what is your goals in regards to haircare.

I would highly recommend reading alot of the threads. So you can be basically be educated on proper hair care.

Favorite Stickies

In regards to washing your hair. Just keep it very simple. Since your going natural. A simple non-sulfate shampoo. A good moisturizer conditinor. A leave-in and your favorite hair oil/butter. Conditioners/Leave-ins and Oils are always subject to change because people always want to find out whats works best for them.

Best of luck to you

Welcome newbie! Time to get your study on. All the info you need is here, but you're gonna have to work for it sweety, so hit up that favorite stickies thread.

I will say this though, the most important thing I've learned on this site is that every head of hair is different and you will have to tailor your regimen to fit you.

Thanks for your input guys. I have tried looking for things on the site, but I just have no clue where to start, what to look for, etc.

Back