I do not think Stretching is for me! AT ALL!!!!!

luvmesumhair

This is my first time stretching and I am having a difficult time!

I washed yesterday and it seemed like my new growth is getting really out of control the longer I go.! This will be my third month. It is very difficult to untangle my hair. Needles to say that a lot of hair came out again while combing it in the shower. I even let the softening condish stay on at least 15 min. I am supposed to be getting a touch up on the 29th of July and was told to try and untangle the new growth before doing a t/u. I litterly try not to comb my hair AT ALL since I have been stretching. I am scard my hair will come out. I had a bad experience in the beginning when A LOT hair came out after combing it in the shower with what I thought to be a good softening condish. I am even thinking twice about doing a textlax because my hair is out of control. If I cannot control three months of new growth, how will I be able to control three types of hair? Permed, text and new growth?????

Are some of you experienceing the same thing? How many times did you try it before giving up? After giving up, how long do you stretch now and with good progress?

Should I try again after my t/u??:look:

luvmesumhair said:
This is my first time stretching and I am having a difficult time!

I washed yesterday and it seemed like my new growth is getting really out of control the longer I go.! This will be my third month. It is very difficult to untangle my hair. Needles to say that a lot of hair came out again while combing it in the shower. I even let the softening condish stay on at least 15 min. I am supposed to be getting a touch up on the 29th of July and was told to try and untangle the new growth before doing a t/u. I litterly try not to comb my hair AT ALL since I have been stretching. I am scard my hair will come out. I had a bad experience in the beginning when A LOT hair came out after combing it in the shower with what I thought to be a good softening condish. I am even thinking twice about doing a textlax because my hair is out of control. If I cannot control three months of new growth, how will I be able to control three types of hair? Permed, text and new growth?????

Are some of you experienceing the same thing? How many times did you try it before giving up? After giving up, how long do you stretch now and with good progress?

Should I try again after my t/u??:look:

Keep in mind that you are stretching because its supposed to be healthier for the hair... IMO, whats happening to your hair right now is unhealthy.. the excess shedding/breakage, matting, tangles etc. I would suggest you throroughly detangle your hair and deep condition one last time and then go ahead and get a touch up.

If you dont have the technique down for dealing with the two textures just yet, try extending your stretch one week at a time. This way it'll get easier as you go along.

I'll be honest with you, sometimes we try to do EVERYTHING right with our hair from jump.. and its just too drastic. I remember the same thing happening to me when i decided to extend my stretch from 8 weeks to 12 right off bat... it wasn;t good at all. I ended up cutting my hair because it was sooo damaged because i didn't have the technique down. Then i texlaxed like you're considering, and ended up cutting my hair because of that too. You MUST find out what is healthy for your hair and whats going to help it thrive.

Now I can go 12 weeks easy, as its become the "norm" for my hair.. I DO NOT get any additional breakage or shedding during this time either.. its whats comfortable for me now. but YOU need to find right detangling products and technique to get there and you will.

I've stretched for 3 mos. It only works if I'm 100% committed to washing with CON, deep conditioning and then putting my hair in a bun. No styling, no wearing down, no unnecessary manipulation. I get my hair relaxed every 8 weeks or as soon as I have around half an inch of new growth or more. Sometimes I'll stretch 2 1/2 months but usually in Winter. Otherwise I loose too much hair to make it worth it :(

I know your pain after 12 weeks I feel like there is no point to stretching but then I know that I can go the long mile with braids. It has taken me a long time to get it together but I am hoping with this stretch I will have great results.

Funny. I just read in another thread to stretch a little at a time too. I used to wait 4 to 5 weeks now I am going to wait 8 to 9 and take it from there. My problem is after the washing and deep cond. Afterwards it is no problem because I wear it in protective styles and do not comb my hair in between washes. I wash every three days too.

No. I do not think I am going to texlax until I get the hang of it.

KathyMay said:
I know your pain after 12 weeks I feel like there is no point to stretching but then I know that I can go the long mile with braids. It has taken me a long time to get it together but I am hoping with this stretch I will have great results.

Exactly! I feel like I will be pulling out the hair I am trying to grow and thicken up:lol: it is crazy. And Braids...forget about it. I do not trust anyone braiding my hair because I ALWAYS get the one who braids too d&^M tight and my edges and like WOW:eek:

KathyMay said:

Braids are the answer for me, as well. I am astonished at how my hair feels when I take my braids down to have them redone. My hair feels so soft. So, my regimen includes braids or braid-outs after 4-6 weeks post. I tried ponytails; but after 8-9 weeks post, they don't look as good as i'd like them to.

i felt the same way when i was transitioning, well really in one area of my head, the crown. that was a monster!!!:eek: :mad:
i didnt think i would make it and didnt want to even think about putting a comb in it but i made it:grin:
everything is not for everybody and if you cant deal with it properly or its not dealing with you properly, then get your t.u. theres no need to torture yourself and your hair.
put some amla oil on your scalp and see if that helps with softening up the roots/new growth.

Stretching isnt easy and like mentioned before you have to really take the time out to do it. When I am 3mos post and on I do not use a comb to detangle. Not even a shower comb w/ a whole bunch of conditioner on my head. That is just asking for trouble w/ my hair. The only time I comb is when I am rollersetting and I really just smooth out the ends and not even touch the NG. I detangle dry hair only w/ a lot of oil and my fingers. I never comb out tangles cause you take out more hair then necessary. Thats where time and patience comes in. I make sure I have nothing to do when it comes time to detangle because i have a lot of NG and I pull apart each strand to make sure I dont pull a big glob out. HTH

I agree you have to stretch a little at a time. I used to relax every 5 weeks religiously. By slowly increasing my stretch I've been able to go as long as 5 months without relaxing. I do weave during my strethes, but I know I could do it without weaving if I really wanted to since I am able to rollerset my hair all the way through my stretch.

You definitely have to protective style during your stretch. If you want to wear your hair out, you should find styles that try to blend the 2 textures like a braidout.

When you detangle let a slippery conditioner sit in your hair for an hour, pantene is wonderful for conditioners with tons of slip. Then slowly slowly detangle with a shower comb while letting standing under the shower water, your hair should feel like silk if you do it this way. Get a good detangler for when you get out of the shower if you plan to rollerset. I like Paul Mitchell's detangler in the spray bottle. Loreal also has a good one for kids that works well too. S-curl does wonders on new growth.

HTH

Maybe you should start with a shorter stretching period (like 8 weeks) and try to work your way up to a longer duration. My first stretch (~10 weeks) went very well. I wore a bun everyday b/c the NG was too thick and unmanageable (prior to LHCF i used to relax every 4-5 weeks). are you using a wide tooth comb? I didn't comb my hair in the shower, only afterwards when i was about to condition (and seal with oil). no more than an inch of hair was combed at one time. Also, try not to comb down the entire strand in one big stroke. comb the NG then slowly comb over the line of demarcation, then the relaxed strands.

finewine83 said:
Maybe you should start with a shorter stretching period (like 8 weeks) and try to work your way up to a longer duration. My first stretch (~10 weeks) went very well. I wore a bun everyday b/c the NG was too thick and unmanageable (prior to LHCF i used to relax every 4-5 weeks). are you using a wide tooth comb? I didn't comb my hair in the shower, only afterwards when i was about to condition (and seal with oil). no more than an inch of hair was combed at one time. Also, try not to comb down the entire strand in one big stroke. comb the NG then slowly comb over the line of demarcation, then the relaxed strands.

Thanks finewine. I am going to try my next stretch in increments.

bablou00 said:
Stretching isnt easy and like mentioned before you have to really take the time out to do it. When I am 3mos post and on I do not use a comb to detangle. Not even a shower comb w/ a whole bunch of conditioner on my head. That is just asking for trouble w/ my hair. The only time I comb is when I am rollersetting and I really just smooth out the ends and not even touch the NG. I detangle dry hair only w/ a lot of oil and my fingers. I never comb out tangles cause you take out more hair then necessary. Thats where time and patience comes in. I make sure I have nothing to do when it comes time to detangle because i have a lot of NG and I pull apart each strand to make sure I dont pull a big glob out. HTH

So you do not comb your new growth at all? what happens when you are ready for a t/u? Are you able to get good results and no hair comes out?

RabiaElaine said:
I agree you have to stretch a little at a time. I used to relax every 5 weeks religiously. By slowly increasing my stretch I've been able to go as long as 5 months without relaxing. I do weave during my strethes, but I know I could do it without weaving if I really wanted to since I am able to rollerset my hair all the way through my stretch.

You definitely have to protective style during your stretch. If you want to wear your hair out, you should find styles that try to blend the 2 textures like a braidout.

When you detangle let a slippery conditioner sit in your hair for an hour, pantene is wonderful for conditioners with tons of slip. Then slowly slowly detangle with a shower comb while letting standing under the shower water, your hair should feel like silk if you do it this way. Get a good detangler for when you get out of the shower if you plan to rollerset. I like Paul Mitchell's detangler in the spray bottle. Loreal also has a good one for kids that works well too. S-curl does wonders on new growth.

HTH

Hey Rebia, I forgot to get Pantene Con you were telling me about. I am going to get it for my next wash. TThank you.

honeybadgirl said:
i felt the same way when i was transitioning, well really in one area of my head, the crown. that was a monster!!!:eek: :mad:
i didnt think i would make it and didnt want to even think about putting a comb in it but i made it:grin:
everything is not for everybody and if you cant deal with it properly or its not dealing with you properly, then get your t.u. theres no need to torture yourself and your hair.
put some amla oil on your scalp and see if that helps with softening up the roots/new growth.

Thanks Honeybadgirl.

Girl, I feel you. But like the other ladies said when it comes to stretching you have do to a little at a time. My last stretch I went 14 wks. I almost threw the towel in at 12 wks. I was able to do a hot oil treatment with a mixture of oils and this helped tremendously. It allowed me to comb through the hair prior to pooing. Stretching is for the health of the hair so if it seems to be doing more harm than good, I would go ahead and relax. Good Luck!

bablou00 said:
The only time I comb is when I am rollersetting and I really just smooth out the ends and not even touch the NG. I never comb out tangles cause you take out more hair then necessary. HTH

Bab, so you do not comb through your ng. I would think that it would start locking up and matting. Girl shed some light on this.

janeemat said:
Bab, so you do not comb through your ng. I would think that it would start locking up and matting. Girl shed some light on this.

I asked her the same thing! My thoughts exactly!

Back