I Didn't Know Emu Oil was sooo Beneficial!!!

well i used it for like 2 weeks (only stopped cus it ran out) i really liked the results... nice soft hair and my roots really likd i t too. im gunna buy some more

i ordered mine from the website FromNatureWithLove.com. I use it mainly after i wash my hair so that the Emu Oil can 'trap' and absorb the moisture into my scalp. I dont distribute it to the ends. I havent found that my hair growth rate has accelerated however my scalp is always moisturized and the new growth that comes in is so soft.

I like the fact that the Emu oil can absorb water into the hair and scalp. I'm going to try it as soon as I can. :D

Last edited:
My Emu Oil doesnt smell funny. On the FromNatureWithLove website, i believe there is an 'Unrefined' and 'refined'. They have a lot of information about its benefits as well. I have the Unrefined.

I'm experimenting w/ EMU oil right now. I mixed it with the ORS temple balm, MTG, peppermint oil, and MN to see if it would help deliver these items to the hair follicle better. (surprisingly, there is no MTG smell) I need my edges to thicken up.

winterinatl said:
Does the animal have to die to get the oil? :(
Yes, I had the same question. It's basically the birds' fat so it has to die to get it. But, I still I love me some emu oil. I use it in all my lotion and oil concoctions.

I thought they used the birds for other purposes as well? I hope they arent just going around killing birds for the sake of oil :confused:

atlien11 said:
I thought they used the birds for other purposes as well? I hope they arent just going around killing birds for the sake of oil :confused:

Its therapuetic and cosmetic uses are relatively recent. It's primary use is for meat, eggs, skin (to make leather), and feathers.

ETA: They farm the birds for said uses, so they aren't huntin' 'em down in the wild or anything.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that information Sareca. I kept having those images of whoever posted those racoons being skinned alive and hoping they werent doing that to these poor birds. (for those of you who didnt see it, this wont make sense).

atlien11 said:

When I first heard of Emu oil I didn't even know it came from a bird. Then when I found out, I also hoped they weren't killing the birds just for beauty products :eek:. But I've since learned that as Sareca mentioned, they're primarily used for their meat and skin.

Emu Oil, a food by-product, is obtained from the fat of the Emu. When the emu is processed for its healthy red meat, the fat is then refined into oil. It is an all natural substance. Emus aren't killed just for the oil. Emus are farmed mostly for its meat(which you can buy at about $20/pound). Other parts of the bird are used for other products including clothing.

chocolatesis said:
I came across this article while doing a search for oils that can penetrate the hair. Since Emu Oil can penetrate the skin and hair, it has so many uses. The article says that it's been proven to stimulate both hair and skin growth! Has anyone been using it for a long period of time?

http://www.explorepub.com/articles/emu.html

What an article !!!! Who knew this much about Emu? I also appreciate this article because it gives us a 'buyer-beware' alert. Here it is:

Cautions

As with any product which is galloping from obscurity to explosive use, we would be remiss if we didn't say "buyer beware" before we closed this article.
Emu oil was approved by the FDA for use in July of 1992, and the least we can ask is that it be pure and correctly processed.

Both anecdotal evidence and research suggest that it does all the marvelous things that have been discussed in this article. To accomplish this healing, the oil you purchase must be processed properly.

You should ask the seller of the oil the following questions:
  • Is the oil free from contamination by hormones which can be generated if the bird is processed inhumanely, and is the oil free from blood and meat residues from improper handling?
  • Has the oil been processed in such a way that trans fatty acids are not produced? These come into being when any oil is processed at too high a heat and are the cause of many health related problems because they are non-natural and not usable by the human body.
  • Is the product completely free of solvent extractors used in processing? And is the company processing the oil willing to certify that this is so? The best oils whether from emus or vegetable oils are made without solvent processing because this method of processing heats the oil to temperatures that of necessity produce the unwanted trans fatty acids mentioned above, besides leaving non-edible solvent residues in the finished product.
  • Has the oil been refined by use of degummers (to remove stickiness from the oil) or a corrosive base material such as sodium hydroxide used to remove phospholipids and other protein like substances which can cloud the oil? These steps are not desirable because the degummers also remove calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, chlorophyll, lecithin and other phospholipids which enable the oil to penetrate the skin.
  • Have synthetic anti-oxidants or preservatives been added to the oil? Correctly processed emu oil free from blood or body residues is naturally bacteriostatic and these steps are not needed.
  • Do they have a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet which gives the description, properties, health hazard information and safe handling information) available? And do they have research and test data on file to support the contents of their MSDS?
"Chocolatesis" thank you for sharing this with us. Now we know a whole lot more, thanks to you. :)

I bought some and it smelled SO BAD that I dumped it outside - the ENTIRE brand new bottle! It had a very PUNGENT "chicken fat" smell, like a chicken was just squeezed to death and all the grease strained into a bottle!!!!! The smell made me SICK!

:barf: :barf::barf: :barf:

NoNapNique said:
I bought some and it smelled SO BAD that I dumped it outside - the ENTIRE brand new bottle! It had a very PUNGENT "chicken fat" smell, like a chicken was just squeezed to death and all the grease strained into a bottle!!!!! The smell made me SICK!

:barf: :barf::barf: :barf:
LOL. Very descriptive!!:lol: My emu oil didnt smell, thank God because i paid too much for the shipping on it. The better question is...where the heck do they sell EMU Bird Meat?? Ive never seen this in any store. Weird.

Last edited:
I've never seen emu meat in the grocery stores, but I've seen it on some restaurant menus and there are a few super gourmet grocery stores that will order it for you, but I don't don't think that emu meat is an easy find in the United States. I think the meat is much more popular in Australia

Back