I did someone’s hair

Purtygurly

I’m becoming a hair stylist
smile.gif

I did my mom’s hair last night. I think that I did a better job than her stylist. She gets her hair pressed. First her stylist washes her hair, deep conditions (not all the time with heat) with humecto, blowdries with pressing cream, then HOT (sizzle sizzle) combs it straight, the HOT curls it. When my mom’s hair is finished it looks like a greasy mess...
frown.gif
Her hair is damaged too, some parts are bone straight even when wet, some are BURNED OFF, her hair breaks A LOT! And she doesn’t even need a hard press like that, she doesn’t know it, but she has 3b/c hair.

Anyway, I couldn’t do her hair exactly the way I liked because she had certain requests.

This is what I did. I shampooed with a clarifying/neutralizing shampoo. I had to lather 3 times with that because she hasn’t washed her hair in over a month, and she puts grease in it every day. Then I lathered up with a gentle shampoo.

Then I put nexxus emergencee in her hair with a heating cap for 15 minutes. I rinsed it out and put keracare humecto with some oil for 45 minutes. I blow dried her hair (She requested it) I let it air dry a bit before, but it was like I had to “sneak” to do that. I put in leave in conditioner (razac and keracare), wgo and ultra sheen’s pressing cream.

I let her hair dry a lil’ bit whle I lightly oiled her scalp with wgo. Then I blowdried her hair on high (she requested, I tried to reason with her...), but it only took a short time since her hair was almost dry anyway. then I pressed her hair. For every section I used a little pressing cream (her stylist used way too much) and wgo on each section. The comb didn’t sizzle at all or smoke very much. If it smoked, I would not comb with it, until it cooled down some. I concentrated on the new growth and just briefly pulled it through the ends since the ends are so damaged that they are straight, at least I think they are damaged.

When I finished she wanted me to go through the ends with the comb very hot (she insisted). So I did it as briefly as I could. Her hair looked the same after I did that, I guess it’s just a habit that she has about getting a really hot comb. She wouldn’t let me curl it, she doesn’t like magnetic rollers. She put her foam rollers in.

Her hair is damaged, so it didn’t have that much swing or bounce especially in the back, but she was shaking it anyway. I know that I did a good job and did the least amount of damage to her hair that I could
smile.gif
Her hair wasn’t an oil slick and didn’t smell burned either. I didn't burn her once either.

I have some questions though. When I was washing her hair, it smelled nasty. I lathered up four times and the nasty “burnt” smell was in her hair until I blowdried it. Why is that?

And are the bone straight parts bone straight because of heat damage like I think?

Do you think I did the right stuff to her hair?

Sorry if the post is long, but I realized that I love to do people's hair and help them to keep it in good condition. I wish that my mom would let me do everything my way, but I can't argue with her forever cause it's her hair... I'm all excited though
drunk.gif

Whenever someone's hair is burned with a curling iron/pressing comb that smell stays. I don't know why though. The bone straight parts are because of damage. Some ladies here have experienced that and there are a few posts about trying to get the curl back. I think you did the right stuff( as much as you could). I do my mom's hair too and she is the same way, she likes a lot of bad stuff and I have to sneak in the good stuff.

You may want to insist on her getting a trim. She also shouldn't go so long without her hair being washed. That may have contributed to the smell you mentioned. She also needs deep conditoning every 1-2 weeks to help her with damage. The fact that she likes the comb very very hot
confused.gif
(maybe too hot for 3b/c type) and hot combs often? also contributes to the damage. Is all that oil necessary for her hair? Is it very thick? Sounds like you should continue styling her hair so that you can keep on eye on it
smile.gif

Well, she wouldn't let me trim her hair, she won't get her hair done very week. She hot combs at the most every two weeks, but has gone for almost two months before. All she does is puts grease on it every night and put on foam rollers.

I'll admit, I didn't know exactly how much oil to put in her hair (I have mostly 4a/b) but when I saw her natural curls I did put less that I would put in my own hair. When her hair was done you could run your hand through it and it wouldn't be greasy... so I guess it wasn't too much. And I only used a tiny amount of oil (like half a drop) and pressing cream right before I pressed it.

My mom's almost 50 and is set in her ways with her hair. I don't want to argue with her or anything, I just advise her and if she doesn't listen I let her go on doing whatever she wants, because that way we're both not aggitated and we're happy
smile.gif

Back