I did it!!! My Self Weave

MJ

I am soo psyched now!!!!

Stockingcapwig1_front4-vi.jpg

Stockingcapwig1_front-vi.jpg

Stockingcapwig1_back-vi.jpg

Guess what: It's a stocking cap weave :D :lol:

I didn't plan on doing this today. The hair is BSS hair that I have been using to practice sewing weave on my mannequinn head.

This is the second time I've actually done this, but the first time on my head. The first time (Nov. 2006) I did it on a styrofoam mannequin head, but it was too small for my head. There are some kinks to work work, particularly the closure. But I am VERY pleased with the result and motivated to continue practicing until I get it right. :grin:.

Last edited:
Qetesh said:
what is a stocking cap weave?

( i am weave dumb...?)

and BTW that looks GREAT on you.

It's when you glue tracks onto a stocking cap to create a wig. It is said that most of Mary J. Blige's styles are stocking cap weaves.

Congrats! It looks great. I experimented with stocking cap weaves for a little while before they came out with falls. I would worry too much about it slipping off! :eek:

WhipEffectz1 said:
Congrats! It looks great. I experimented with stocking cap weaves for a little while before they came out with falls. I would worry too much about it slipping off! :eek:

For this one, I actually used a wig cap, which is much tighter than the standard weave cap (I think). I also have my kinky twists underneath:grin:, so it wouldn't go anywhere. This is just the prototype though and I won't be wearing it anywere.

On a side note: I'm constantly amazed at how straight your hair gets. The versatility is amazing...

MJ can you explain how to do a closure I am so perplexed by it. Or if you have pics or a lonk to another post would be great?

That looks fantastic! Very nice proto-type indeed. How did you do the closure? I started a curly weave, but once I got to the crown I got stuck, it's now sitting in my bathroom closet collecting dust and I'd love to finish it.

MJ said:
For this one, I actually used a wig cap, which is much tighter than the standard weave cap (I think). I also have my kinky twists underneath:grin:, so it wouldn't go anywhere. This is just the prototype though and I won't be wearing it anywere.

On a side note: I'm constantly amazed at how straight your hair gets. The versatility is amazing...

Oh okay, my hair definitely holds better when I have a lot going on underneath. I
must add that those types of weave are excellent for the club and special occasions. Yea, I've found that my hair is very versatile which helps because I like to change stuff up. Take care!

Bluerhapzody said:
MJ can you explain how to do a closure I am so perplexed by it. Or if you have pics or a lonk to another post would be great?

See that's the thing, I don't know how to :look:. I have been seaching the web and BHM. Today, I even went to the BSS today during my lunch break and tried to figure this out by looking at the closing they did for one of the mannequinns stock cap weave. It didn't really help. If I could get someone to show me or to let me oberserve...

The best site I've found so far, is this one.

http://public.fotki.com/ThAbAdDeStBaBy3/how_to_folder/closing_a_sewn_in_weave/

I need to practice and practice some more... I'm confident I'll learn how to though. :)

Last edited:
u can buy a closure part and glue it on top,i had a weave,where my mother cut a piece off of a wig and sewn it on.....sounds ghetto but that was my favorite weave,lol

Relaxedhairchica22 said:
u can buy a closure part and glue it on top,i had a weave,where my mother cut a piece off of a wig and sewn it on.....sounds ghetto but that was my favorite weave,lol

Funny enuff, I had the very same idea this morning. I was standing in the bus, and sitting infront of me was woman with a wig on and I though why can't I just buy a wig and cut out the top.:grin:...

This weekend I plan on taking apart the one I made last night and reassemble it and keep doing so until I get everything right. If I still can't get the closure down pat, I'm going to buy a wig....:lol:

MJ said:
Funny enuff, I had the very same idea this morning. I was standing in the bus, and sitting infront of me was woman with a wig on and I though why can't I just buy a wig and cut out the top.:grin:...

This weekend I plan on taking apart the one I made last night and reassemble it and keep doing so until I get everything right. If I still can't get the closure down pat, I'm going to buy a wig....:lol:

this is exactly what my mother does....before she goes to the stylist to get her weave done, she buys a wig and cuts off the top to use as closure since the individual closure pieces they sell at beauty stores are too expensive:lol:

I have to try this....i was thinking of giving my hair a break from the braids and i went out yesterday and bought a wig...it just so happens that the comb in the wig started 2 give me a headache after 3 hrs...i went to the gift shop at the hospital, bought a pashmina and called it a day:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you :)

Update:

I went back to the BSS today and spent some time talking to one of the clerks and scrutinizing the display stocking cap weaves. I left with a pretty good idea of what I wanted and how I could accomplish it.

Tonight, after 3 hours of continuous practice, I've completed my first closure.:yay: :dance7::grin:

1stclosure2_gluein-vi.jpg

1stclosure_gluein-vi.jpg

1stclosurecloseup_gluein-vi.jpg

Last edited:
tiffers said:
That's one cute prototype! Did you cut it in that style?

I'd cut the bangs, but everything else wasn't. The layers are "natural" because I used only one length weave.

Back