I cut two inches of hair off....

InsertCleverNameHere

And it still looks like I need to cut another two. My ends are horrible and I don't know how they got that way since I rarely wear them out. *sigh* I guess I'm in the same place I was last year...

You guys think my hair might benefit from being worn out everyday rather than covered? I just don't understand how my ends got this bad. I didn't realize til I pressed my hair...

I bet it's not so much that they've been covered too much, but rather how they've been manipulated to stay covered (i.e.- too much twisting to get into a bun, etc). Also, straight, flat-ironed hair can be deceiving. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I would try a rollerset. Just make sure that your hair is set tightly enough so that your ends are still not out as much. And make sure your ends are coated pretty well with oil before rolling.

I'm sorry to hear about your ends. What has been your usual hair-tine? What products are you using? Are you natural or relaxed? Sorry for all the questions.

Sorry to hear this RealLuv. I too wonder how your hair could have gotten bad if it's been protected. What's your usual routine and style?

I think my ends kinda suffered when I kept my hair in a bun. I have started doing rollersets every 2 weeks. My ends are doing much better! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I usually use the baggie method. I will wash my hair add vaseline, cover with baggie and then cover with wig or phonytail. Maybe I need to trim more often...

Den 1 said: not allowing the length of my plaits to dry, before covering with the baggie cause my ends to break a little, i suppose my hair is more fragile when wet.

She posted this in anther thread. Hair mistakes

I think my ends are definitely taking a beating since I've been bunning so much. But for me I'm not upset because I know I'll be getting rid of them at some point anyway when I'm done transitioning. I think part of my problem is that rather than doing a true bun, I've been doing the lazy elastic/scrunchie bun. That is rather than wrap my hair around the scrunchie, I wrap the scrunchie around my hair. I think it is rough on my endst.

I think that if you twist your bun really tight on a regular basis, that this may be the culprit to your ends thinning out. Or, could it be the styling products that makes it "appear" to be thin?

Hmmm...I will have to try the baggie method dry...my hair is always wet when I put it up.

Its not really thin ends but ends that feel frazzled, parched and are split.

i am sorry to hear this...my hair is dry when i use the baggie method.....and maybe that can make a difference... your hair will definitely grow back.... /images/graemlins/up.gif

Hey Real Love,

Depending on when you started really nurturing your hair, your ends could be hair that was damaged before you started taking great care of your hair. I noticed that you registered for the site about a year ago. If before that time, you were doing lots of heat styling and damaging things to your hair, then that hair is still on your head and is most likely irreparable. (sp?) If that is the time that you started taking good care of your hair, then let's say you've acquired 6 inches of growth over the course of the year. If your hair is longer than 6 inches currently, then the ends indeed would be hair that you had on your head before you started caring for it really well. That's probably the issue assuming all that I said above about when you started your healthy hair regimen is correct.

This is my third name in here so I actually first started taking the advice here about 2 years ago (December of 2002 was when I started lurking and registered under my first name that February. BUT, I still think you could be right. My hair wasn't short at the time I joined but I had just burnt a chunk out of it and damaged it really bad. I'm not sure exactly how long a strand of my hair is but I would guess about 14 inches, maybe a couple inches shorter and longer in different areas???? So that may very well be the case.

Since I started the baggie method my ends are stronger and I have no split ends and it's been smoother and less frizzy /images/graemlins/smile.gif Try doing it dry before cutting it. Or maybe it's damage from before???

I was going to suggest the baggie method but I see you are already doing that. I would suggest trying castor oil instead of vasaline for your ends. Vaseline eventually stopped working for my hair but Worlds of Curls Activator or castor oil did better.

I also put my bun in a baggie while damp not really wet AND I don't really wear a baggie during the day unless I'm wearing a phony bun. Maybe you can try the baggie only at night. HTH

[ QUOTE ]
This is my third name in here so I actually first started taking the advice here about 2 years ago (December of 2002 was when I started lurking and registered under my first name that February. BUT, I still think you could be right. My hair wasn't short at the time I joined but I had just burnt a chunk out of it and damaged it really bad. I'm not sure exactly how long a strand of my hair is but I would guess about 14 inches, maybe a couple inches shorter and longer in different areas???? So that may very well be the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, okay--then I can see why you'd be feeling frustrated about it. With two years of excellent care, your hair should be in excellent condition currently. My ends are not the most wonderful and I get them trimmed about every other retouch (5 months). I attribute my ends to the no-lye that I used to have. I've been with a lye relaxer for 3 1/2 years now. I still have about 4 inches on the ends of hair that was relaxed with the no-lye. I am gradually getting rid of those ends. Did you ever have a no-lye relaxer?

Real: That's ok. I've had to cut my hair twice (2 inches or more) within the last 9 months. Initially, I was upset about it but I started to notice how much healthier it looked. It's growing at a better rate now. You'll grow to respect those cuts because you'll notice some positive changes in your hair. Good luck!

I switch from vaseline to ORS carrot oil. My ends are wonder. The vaseline was a bit drying for me. Maybe you should find another moisturing creme instead of the vaseline.

[ QUOTE ]
I switch from vaseline to ORS carrot oil. My ends are wonder. The vaseline was a bit drying for me. Maybe you should find another moisturing creme instead of the vaseline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never use that vaseline anymore, it eventually dried out and broke my ends a little, so i always use moisturiser, seal with oil and let the hair ends completely dry soft then add more oil to the baggie, my hair is defintely much better like this.

Back