I Can't Get With Natural Products

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I have been using natural products for the last few months in an effort to be more healthy. They were quite more expensive.(keraveda) My hair looks and feels just ok and smells nice. So I ran out and wanted to use up products in my stash which are salon quality. My hair feels AMAZING. My hair looks and feels better and also lasts longer in a style. Why is this so? Maybe I need to try some different natural brands? Although, my current products are working so well I don't want to go back to the natural products. I also do not have any allergies or medical conditions.

I'm with you, the only thing i like truly from natural products is shea moisture masks.

I'm traveling and using whatever is in family member's bathrooms right now. I did a wash and go yesterday after just shampooing with matrix biolage and using some Paul Mitchell foam. My hair looked great-sew in with curly hair.

I tried again today since I'm at a different relatives place with shea moisture shampoo/conditioner/curling foam. My hair doesn't look half as good and feels so dry.

I'm finishing my natural stash and just waiting on BOGO for liters of Paul Mitchell, redken, and matrix biolage at hair cuttery when I get my ends trimmed.

I'm the same way. I have some natural products that I use and love but my hair craves CHI products, so that's what my leave-ins pretty much consists of. My hair has been much easier to care for now that I mix salon products with natural products.

I'm the opposite - salon products never fully moisturize my hair, and they make it feel rough and stiff. I didn't know what true moisture was until I used my first natural/handmade product. Still, I'm a firm believer of a person doing what's best for themselves. So, stick with your salon products, especially since they've been working for you. Leave the natural ones alone unless you want to side step into PJ Curiosity Land once in a while.

Natural products just sat on my hair. Aloe and ACV didn't work. Nothing really penetrated my hair. Salon products are designed to work from the inside out. Plus, my strands can't handle much product, so I wash my hair frequently. Natural products don't really work well for my daughter either. I think I'm done buying them for her too.

I used "natural" products for years and failed to retain much hair. Out of curiousity I started experimenting with Dominican products which led to salon products and wowee! I didn't know what I was missing, especially in the conditioner department. Silicone is bae. :2inlove: For wash n go's, my hair prefers "natural" (let's face it, they have chemicals, too) gels, but there is definitely a solidified place in my regimen for salon products.

I used "natural" products for years and failed to retain much hair. Out of curiousity I started experimenting with Dominican products which led to salon products and wowee! I didn't know what I was missing, especially in the conditioner department. Silicone is bae. :2inlove: For wash n go's, my hair prefers "natural" (let's face it, they have chemicals, too) gels, but there is definitely a solidified place in my regimen for salon products.

I wonder if silicone would help my fine hair not to tangle. But I'm just not ready to throw off my regimen yet, which requires no use of sulfate shampoos.

On a side not, when will you be changing your avi again? (Just asking. :smile:)

When I went natural the first time I was using nothing but natural products, my hair stayed dry, brittle, and tangled, I think that's why I ended up being a product junkie. I keep buying natural because I wanted to support a black owned company. But, my hair hated the products.

I ended up switching to salon brands, Redken, Joico, and It's a 10. My hair stays moisturized, tangle free, and manageable. When I was using natural products it would take 4 hours to do my hair. Using salon products in takes 45 minutes.

ETA -

Products Used:
Shampoo: Redken All Soft
Conditioner: Joico Moisture Recovery Balm
Leave-Ins: Oyin Juices and Berries, Redken One United, It's A 10 Daily Conditioner

The only natural product I use now is Oyin Juices and Berries spray. I applied that as my first leave-in and then the One United and It's A 10 after it.

These products make make buttery soft for the whole week.

Last edited:
I wonder if silicone would help my fine hair not to tangle. But I'm just not ready to throw off my regimen yet, which requires no use of sulfate shampoos.

On a side not, when will you be changing your avi again? (Just asking. :smile:)
Water soluable 'cones don't require sulfates. A lot of new research has come out. Even ol' curly girl herself, Lorraine Massey, has incorporated 'cones in her products without adding sulfates to her cleansers. I still co-wash without any issues, but I like the feel of shampoos, too. I clarify once a month. My hair is doing so much better. And yes, silicones are excellent for knocking out those tangles.

Now about my avi...:lachen: It's here to stay for a while. What? You don't like dem toes? lol

Water soluable 'cones don't require sulfates. A lot of new research has come out. Even ol' curly girl herself, Lorraine Massey, has incorporated 'cones in her products without adding sulfates to her cleansers. I still co-wash without any issues, but I like the feel of shampoos, too. I clarify once a month. My hair is doing so much better. And yes, silicones are excellent for knocking out those tangles.

Now about my avi...:lachen: It's here to stay for a while. What? You don't like dem toes? lol

I get a gag reflex every time, chica! LOL!

And thanks for the info about the silicones! Tangling is working against my length goals, so I may REALLY need to try them. Do you recommend a serum for ends that requires no sulfate shampoo for removal? Thanks in advance.

I get a gag reflex every time, chica! LOL!

And thanks for the info about the silicones! Tangling is working against my length goals, so I may REALLY need to try them. Do you recommend a serum for ends that requires no sulfate shampoo for removal? Thanks in advance.
Sorry about your gag reflex, but those toes give me life! LOL Guess I'm weird.

I don't think a serum would hurt. I usually use one after straightening my hair, but I've been known to add a little to my length for shine during my wash n' go's. I say try it. If you don't like it, you can always wash it out.

I'm glad I'm not alone. Because of the SheaMoisture controversy, I'm in the market for new products for my 4c natural hair. I used Cream of Nature when I was relaxed so I decided to try it now that I'm natural. I purchased Cream of Nature, Sulfate Free, Argan Oil shampoo and wow, it left my hair amazing. It smelled wonderful. It did not strip my hair, my hair didn't feel hard, I did not experience excessive shedding and it was relatively easy to detangle.
So my new lineup of products will be:
Cream of Nature Sulfate Free Shampoo with Argan Oil
Cantu Hair or Eden Body Works Coconut Shea Butter or True Intense Treatment Masques
True Nourshing Leave in Conditioner or As I Am leave-in Conditioner
Jamaican Castor Oil/Cold pressed Castor Oil
Ohemet Biologics Heavy Cream and seal with my shea butter mixture.
I recently purchased the Ohemet and haven't use it yet but I hope it is as moisturizing as some viewers say it is:afro:

My hair is good with both. But now that I think of it, most of my products are natural lol. KCCC, CR Curlmaker, Devacurl Decadence no poo, CV shampoo bars, CR butter. The only 2 non natural are my Tresemme Botanique and Aphogee products.

I love eco gel for its price and my wng look great but when compared to my natural gels I definitely get more moisture and softness.

I have given up on natural products. My hair is in terrible shape. And after I get it cut off, (It's APL, but I think I'm going to tell them to cut off all of the damaged hair, about 5 inches) I'm going back to all Aestelance with some MJ dc's thrown in. I may try treluxe leave in and moisture cream. Nothing, I mean nothing natural has helped my ultra dry hair and single strand knots., As I've said before, my hair needs science not oils and butters in a jar. I may give Ouidad a try too.

Last edited:
I'm the opposite - salon products never fully moisturize my hair, and they make it feel rough and stiff. I didn't know what true moisture was until I used my first natural/handmade product. Still, I'm a firm believer of a person doing what's best for themselves. So, stick with your salon products, especially since they've been working for you. Leave the natural ones alone unless you want to side step into PJ Curiosity Land once in a while.
Same here! Even my relaxed hair loved more natural products. It started with the older giovanni leave in, i'd go through liters of that stuff, Elucence moisture balance, Kenra (cone free), and the original KBB products. That stuff would have even my relaxed hair feeling amazingggggg. I never liked Mizani, etc. My hair likes the cone free products packed with goodies in them.

Ehhhh.....

So, my hair loves natural products, but some otg brands my hair likes too. Paul Mitchell shampoo one, I don't use, but I still have a liter in my closet. When all else fails, it works. For a regular rinse out, the detangler works extremely well. For clarifying, redken cleansing cream is a must. Nexxus works well for me too.

When I use heat, I can only use stuff with cones and keracare or chi.

Protein, it's all about how lazy I am that I use natural over OTG brands.

Otherwise, for everything else, i can only use natural products. Deep conditioners with cones (even water soluble) leave my hair either breaking or with build up. Silicon mix breaks my hair and tgin leaves build up.

Interesting enough, if I stick with Nexxus humectress, I can wash 1-2x weekly, use it and only need to deep condition once a month.

Back