I can't afford Aveda DR...

ShiShiPooPoo

and it's driving me crazy. I went to the Aveda store yesterday and just choked. I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on two haircare products. I wanted the shampoo and the intensive treatment and asked for a sample. I was told no of course. I felt the shampoo and it felt so silky as well as the condish and treatment. Oh well, maybe I'll check ebay or something...:(

Ebay has some graet Aveda deals. Don't dismay, there's a line of aromatherapy products similar to Aveda called Aura. I used to buy this a while ago. Their product line may not be as extensive as Aveda's but the quality is the same, and it's easier on the wallet. Also check out Origins haircare line too. They are along the same line as Aveda and not too pricey. Aura can be found at Sally's and Origins can be found in most major department stores in the cosmetics department and some malls have Origins stores. HTH

I can empathise on not wanting to spend that kind of money on hair products. However, my rule of thumb is this: Do I have products on hand that work for what I am looking for in that new product? If I am honest with myself the answer is usually yes, and I can keep moving. Definitely keeps the PJ monster at bay. ;)

So, what are you looking for the Aveda products to do that you're missing?

Lusa said:
I can empathise on not wanting to spend that kind of money on hair products. However, my rule of thumb is this: Do I have products on hand that work for what I am looking for in that new product? If I am honest with myself the answer is usually yes, and I can keep moving. Definitely keeps the PJ monster at bay. ;)

You know I found myself doing this lately and it really works!!

Also if there is an Aveda institute near you, maybe you could have a student wash your hair every other week or so and ask if they will use the DR line. I think you can get a student wash for under 20 bucks.

Lusa said:

I am looking for that silky, moisture and strength combo. I actually love my silicon mix and that is actually a lot cheaper. I think that I am wanting this as a new addition for after the relaxer I will be getting at the end of this month after my 16week stretch. Just to feel like I am giving my hair the best of the best...I guess.

tnorenberg said:
Ebay has some graet Aveda deals. Don't dismay, there's a line of aromatherapy products similar to Aveda called Aura. I used to buy this a while ago. Their product line may not be as extensive as Aveda's but the quality is the same, and it's easier on the wallet. Also check out Origins haircare line too. They are along the same line as Aveda and not too pricey. Aura can be found at Sally's and Origins can be found in most major department stores in the cosmetics department and some malls have Origins stores. HTH

Origins???.....they have a hair line and its similar to aveda???? do tell!
i get a discount with them:lick:

SmartAlek said:
Also if there is an Aveda institute near you, maybe you could have a student wash your hair every other week or so and ask if they will use the DR line. I think you can get a student wash for under 20 bucks.

Never thought of that...There is one in my city but I heard it is very hard to get in. At least that way I could try it.

I have been hearing the raves about this brand lately. Thank goodness I'm not a PJ.:grin: But I am curious about the product costs. What would you have spent if you purchased both products?

honeybadgirl said:
Origins???.....they have a hair line and its similar to aveda???? do tell!
i get a discount with them:lick:

I see this line at Macy's. I purchased the "Knot Free" set, but never used it. I ended up selling it on Ebay because I did not like the peach smell of it once I got home. Smelled fine in the store :confused:
But, anyway, they had lots of hair products there to choose from.

Xavier said:
I have been hearing the raves about this brand lately. Thank goodness I'm not a PJ.:grin: But I am curious about the product costs. What would you have spent if you purchased both products?

For the two products it would have been about 50 dollars. The shampoo size was OK (8oz.) but the intensive was only 4.2oz?? I just can't justify it and I can justify a lot.

I actually used to use Origins when I was natural. I used that Knot Free. It was really good. I liked it a lot.

ShiShiPooPoo said:
and it's driving me crazy. I went to the Aveda store yesterday and just choked. I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on two haircare products. I wanted the shampoo and the intensive treatment and asked for a sample. I was told no of course. I felt the shampoo and it felt so silky as well as the condish and treatment. Oh well, maybe I'll check ebay or something...:(

I feel your pain ShiShiPooPoo, I was in Aveda today molesting the products!! I want so many things. I ended up walking out with only the facial cleanser, because I needed it. As for the hair products, like Lusa said, did I really need the hair products? No. So I kept it moving.

this is what I'm having a problem with is the size of the product for the cost. I don't mind spending the money but the sizes have to be bigger. So I just sit here and wait. Maybe the desire will go away. If not, it will have to be after I use most of what I have.

I used to get extra concerned about Aveda Prices but I got over because of how much I loved the products. Now I will not buy it because I am afraid of getting hooked on something only to have it snatched from under me. Like Elixer. One of the better and more affordable products. :mad: I will eventually mosey in and demand samples, I always get them, and I may buy whatever it is they say is comparble to Elixer but I know it will not be. :ohwell:

I'm getting :mad: all over again.

HoneyDew said:
I see this line at Macy's. I purchased the "Knot Free" set, but never used it. I ended up selling it on Ebay because I did not like the peach smell of it once I got home. Smelled fine in the store :confused:
But, anyway, they had lots of hair products there to choose from.

i'll go to the origins store and check it out. are they any reviews on their products though?:)

ShiShiPooPoo said:
For the two products it would have been about 50 dollars. The shampoo size was OK (8oz.) but the intensive was only 4.2oz?? I just can't justify it and I can justify a lot.

I actually used to use Origins when I was natural. I used that Knot Free. It was really good. I liked it a lot.

Outrageous:eek:

Now if it was a 16oz bottle (and up) then I could see paying that much but that is too much money girl. 4.2 oz is that even enough for two conditioning treatments:confused:

I was riding the aveda bandwagon hard.. I have the whole set of the DR but after I tried Phyto Organics by Nexxus I think it is much better than the DR line and it is cheaper. Once my Aveda DR runs out I will not be repurchasing.

Here is my truth: The amount of money I spent on trying different products and not using them anymore or giving them away equates to the amount I spend on Aveda if not significantly less. So its more than worth it to me to spend the money on something I love and KNOW will work is worth it to me. Now as far as the size is concerned: People need to remember that Aveda products are severly concentrated so it doesnt take much to get the lasting effects. I have the same shampoo, treatment, & conditioner since february and I wash 2xs per week.

Try it, and if you dont like it the return policy is awesome.

seymone said:
I was riding the aveda bandwagon hard.. I have the whole set of the DR but after I tried Phyto Organics by Nexxus I think it is much better than the DR line and it is cheaper. Once my Aveda DR runs out I will not be repurchasing.

A guy stopped me in Target while I was scoping out hair products, and he was going down the list of hair products. I forget what he is exact job title is but he basically has worked behind the scenes. He started to tell me about the unnecessary chemicals in these products. So I asked for a list of "good products" and he told me to purchase the Nexxus Organics line (which I can't find anywhere), another line called S something (sorry forgot the name). He didn't think Aveda was a good product. Kind of like how people think of starbucks ~ but I still want to try the Aveda line.

Cholet112 said:
Here is my truth: The amount of money I spent on trying different products and not using them anymore or giving them away equates to the amount I spend on Aveda if not significantly less. So its more than worth it to me to spend the money on something I love and KNOW will work is worth it to me. Now as far as the size is concerned: People need to remember that Aveda products are severly concentrated so it doesnt take much to get the lasting effects. I have the same shampoo, treatment, & conditioner since february and I wash 2xs per week.

Someone else (or maybe you) mentioned this before, and I think it's true. The amount of bandwagons I jump on just to wind up selling it or (mostly) giving away, I can see it amounting to or being less than what I would spend on Aveda.

Cholet112 said:

i totally cosign with this. i cant even remember when i bought my products from aveda. it was cold i do remember that and i'm not even a quarter finished the poo(liter size)!!!

imstush said:
A guy stopped me in Target while I was scoping out hair products, and he was going down the list of hair products. I forget what he is exact job title is but he basically has worked behind the scenes. He started to tell me about the unnecessary chemicals in these products. So I asked for a list of "good products" and he told me to purchase the Nexxus Organics line (which I can't find anywhere), another line called S something (sorry forgot the name). He didn't think Aveda was a good product. Kind of like how people think of starbucks ~ but I still want to try the Aveda line.

Someone else (or maybe you) mentioned this before, and I think it's true. The amount of bandwagons I jump on just to wind up selling it or (mostly) giving away, I can see it amounting to or being less than what I would spend on Aveda.

JC Penny Salon

i have thick hair and the 4.2 oz lasts - i still have it!!
unlike cheap products you do not need alot.

Xavier said:
Outrageous:eek:

Now if it was a 16oz bottle (and up) then I could see paying that much but that is too much money girl. 4.2 oz is that even enough for two conditioning treatments:confused:

Lusa said:

I do that too and it helps curb the pj a lot. I find that I ask myself that question over and over again when I come to this site:lol: .

Cholet112 said:

This is true.

Pokahontas said:
I do that too and it helps curb the pj a lot. I find that I ask myself that question over and over again when I come to this site:lol: .

I have to do it when I go to the store!! Something will catch my eye and I have to just think about all the crap I have lined up in my closet!

OP: I'm surprised that they wouldn't give you samples, someone else here on the board received samples of the DR. :confused: What's up with that?

I'm shocked too that they told you "no" when you asked for samples, the Aveda salon I went to was more than happy to give me a generous (2 treatments) of their DR. Were they especially busy or something?

Back