I AM VERY WORRIED EVERYBODY

ineedmoney

my niece is about to come to my high school next year and she plans to take swimming for her pe credit. her hair is some where between 3/4, coarse and damaged. chlorine is what destroyed my hair in elementry school and i don't want the same to happen to her, especially after she gets all this growth form her braids. my plan was once my hair was under control to help her out. any suggestions

The first thing that comes to mind is Aubrey Organics Swimmers Conditioner. Now, I've never used it but Jade21 recc'd it to me some time ago, I haven't got round to it yet. I value her recs highly as every one of them have worked quite well. She's well respected for her advice too. Its a v.moisturizing conditioner meant specifically for hair exposed to pool and sea water. Check
http://www.aubrey-organics.com/product1.cfm?product_id=078&cat=6&subcat=20

and read up on it. Even though I don't swim I can see why it would work well since its for hair that's very dried out from water.

I'd also suggest definitely have your niece get used to conditioner only washes, and even better, using distilled water as a final rinse. This is incase the water she washes with is hard which'll just un-do any care your trying to instill. Her hair needs all the care it can and distilled water helps soften hair beautifully. Just have her keep a .5 litre bottle in her bag or something and get used to pouring it all over at the end. Do this every time she rinses. Skip shampoos every time as they'll dry out the hair (unless there's a super duper moisturizing one out there).

I'd suggest that on the days off/when she has more time. Def. have her do a good deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Something thats potent. Have her leave it on for a good 30 mins before rinsing out. Also pre oil treatment for her ends would help alot.

I know a lot of young ladies don't like them(I didn't)... but she could condition her hair heavily and wear a swimming cap. Point out to her that the Olympic swimmers wear one. It'll keep her hair out of her eyes... Also tell her it will help her concentrate more on her swimming(she won't have to worry about her hair).

Thanks BRH, for the info. about the Aubrey's Swimmers Conditioner!! I'm definitely going to get some for my daughter since she will be swimming at camp this summer!!
smile.gif

Carolyn Gray swims a lot. You may want to check out her updates. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on 'helpful updates and new information".

Her new book is supposed to have a regime for frequent swimmers...

Lindy,

Cool. Let me know if you like the conditioner. I haven't yet tried it myself but its there in the back of my mind
grin.gif

Also def. have her wear the swim cap!!

Back