I am through with Phony Ponies!

neenzmj

I've purchased my last phony pony. I shudder to think how much money I've wasted only to get it home and realize the color is slightly off, it looks too fake or it looks to big and full on my head (and they always seem to look so cute on everyone else.) I've come to the conclusion that I'll just have to find other creative things to do with my hair (especially after a workout). Maybe I'll spend my money on cute hair accessories, but for sure it won't be another ponytail that ends up in the trash. :nono:

I've purchased my last phony pony. I shudder to think how much money I've wasted only to get it home and realize the color is slightly off, it looks too fake or it looks to big and full on my head (and they always seem to look so cute on everyone else.) I've come to the conclusion that I'll just have to find other creative things to do with my hair (especially after a workout). Maybe I'll spend my money on cute hair accessories, but for sure it won't be another ponytail that ends up in the trash. :nono:

Whenever I buy a wig or hairpiece I take it to my stylist and he cuts it down or thins it out to match my hair's density and cut to fit my face. I never wear my wigs or phony ponies straight "out the bag." I do this always, plus I use human hair, never synthetic. This would probably help you like them better. :yep:

i brought a phonie ponie once, and could havejust walked my money straight to the trash and thrown it away. It hurt to put in and looked big for my big head as well.... The pp had a good ideas though....

Whenever I buy a wig or hairpiece I take it to my stylist and he cuts it down or thins it out to match my hair's density and cut to fit my face. I never wear my wigs or phony ponies straight "out the bag." I do this always, plus I use human hair, never synthetic. This would probably help you like them better. :yep:

I never thought of that. I haven't been to a stylist in a couple of years -- the closest I've come is the local Supercuts!

I never thought of that. I haven't been to a stylist in a couple of years -- the closest I've come is the local Supercuts!

Try it! Find yourself a stylist who knows how to do good cuts and they would be happy to do that for you. I get lots and lots of compliments and people who don't KNOW me like friends and family, never know that I have a wig or hairpiece on. Most people are shocked when I tell them and that's because most of their experiences with people who wear wigs, are that the wigs and pieces LOOK wiggy!
:yep:

Try it! Find yourself a stylist who knows how to do good cuts and they would be happy to do that for you. I get lots and lots of compliments and people who don't KNOW me like friends and family, never know that I have a wig or hairpiece on. Most people are shocked when I tell them and that's because most of their experiences with people who wear wigs, are that the wigs and pieces LOOK wiggy!
:yep:

I am going to try this! I would love to wear a piece because the heat down here is killing every 'do I come up with. I brought a pony, the color matched and everything.....I put it on and asked my hubby what he thought and he busted out :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: The only words he could get out btw laughs was "Baby it's just not you!" I didn't think I looked that funny :mad: and my daughter said it was cute...but she is 13 :rofl:

I am going to try this! I would love to wear a piece because the heat down here is killing every 'do I come up with. I brought a pony, the color matched and everything.....I put it on and asked my hubby what he thought and he busted out :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: The only words he could get out btw laughs was "Baby it's just not you!" I didn't think I looked that funny :mad: and my daughter said it was cute...but she is 13 :rofl:

Finesse, I'm laughing as I read this only because I know just what you're talking about. My hubby has never laughed outright, but his face said it all. :ohwell:

I wouldn't even agree that they look good on other people. They are way too big and bulky at the top. I have sworn them off for good. Now I just use this donut thing and I'm starting to get sick of that too. I can't wait for my hair to get long enough where I don't have to do these additions.

ITA I have wasted a lot of money on phoney ponies to realize the very same thing. I think they look good on other people but not on me. I do have a phoney bun that I am slightly satisfied with but that is it. I was going to invest in a UPA clip but that is just to much money to gamble with knowing i won't like the end result.

ITA I have wasted a lot of money on phoney ponies to realize the very same thing. I think they look good on other people but not on me. I do have a phoney bun that I am slightly satisfied with but that is it. I was going to invest in a UPA clip but that is just to much money to gamble with knowing i won't like the end result.

I toyed with that idea, too, but my hair has grown long enough that now I'm asking "what's the point?" My goal in getting a phony pony was to have something I could quickly throw on when I wanted to change up my look from a curly ponytail (my own hair) to a straight or loose curl ponytail (the phony pony.) I think I've finally gotten to a point where I'm liking my own curly ponytail, but it would still be nice to have some additional options. Maybe I just want to have my cake and eat it too!

neenzmj, are you talking about that phony pony you were going to purchase from hair sisters? I'm sorry that didn't work. It looked really cute on the website picture too.

neenzmj, are you talking about that phony pony you were going to purchase from hair sisters? I'm sorry that didn't work. It looked really cute on the website picture too.

Well, yes. I think that was the final straw. Maybe I didn't give it a fighting chance because I really didn't have my hair properly prepped to wear it, but from what I could tell it just didn't look right -- the color was slightly off and I actually like my own curly ponytail better than I did the phony pony -- I just wasn't crazy about it on me, but it got really good reviews on Hairsisters' site. I may actually try it on (the right way) for a final decision, but as of right now -- it's going right on back to Hairsisters!

Well, yes. I think that was the final straw. Maybe I didn't give it a fighting chance because I really didn't have my hair properly prepped to wear it, but from what I could tell it just didn't look right -- the color was slightly off and I actually like my own curly ponytail better than I did the phony pony -- I just wasn't crazy about it on me, but it got really good reviews on Hairsisters' site. I may actually try it on (the right way) for a final decision, but as of right now -- it's going right on back to Hairsisters!

Yeah, I hate when that happens, doesn't look as great as the picture. But, at least you have beautiful hair that you can pull into a pony which is a better alternative. :yep::yep:

I'm sorry, I hope I don't offend anyone, ...but every phony ponytail I have ever seen on a woman, looks just like what it is, a big fake pony tail dangling from one's head. They just don't look real at all. My sister used to wear one, and she was standing next to me, and I had my real hair in a high ponytail. Our mom walked into the room and said to my sister..."wow I never realized how fake your ponytail looks until now. Standing next to your sis, it really shows how phony those things look compared to someone wearing their real hair in a ponytail!" After that my sis quit wearing fake ponytails forever.
OP,...I'm sure your real hair is way prettier than any fake ponytail.

I'm sorry, I hope I don't offend anyone, ...but every phony ponytail I have ever seen on a woman, looks just like what it is, a big fake pony tail dangling from one's head. They just don't look real at all. My sister used to wear one, and she was standing next to me, and I had my real hair in a high ponytail. Our mom walked into the room and said to my sister..."wow I never realized how fake your ponytail looks until now. Standing next to your sis, it really shows how phony those things look compared to someone wearing their real hair in a ponytail!" After that my sis quit wearing fake ponytails forever.
OP,...I'm sure your real hair is way prettier than any fake ponytail.

No offense taken here. :nono: Truth be told, I also don't do well with anything "extra" in my hair. The times I've have worn phony ponies to work, I'd be so glad to get it out of my head by the end of the day that I wouldn't know what to do. A few times I couldn't take it and just took it out of my head and slung it on my desk (hoping no one passed by my desk to see this pile of hair laying out!)

And like you, I've seen my fair share of those that just looked fake -- all shiny and "syntheticy." I don't frown on anyone who does wear them, I'm just coming to the realization that they aren't for me -- some $$$'s later.

My sister- in- law taught me to buy regular, track HH weave. cut long lengths, then twist & wrap it around my own hair. This way I can control the fullness. it looks more natural plus HH matches my hair perfectly. you may want to try that.

My sister- in- law taught me to buy regular, track HH weave. cut long lengths, then twist & wrap it around my own hair. This way I can control the fullness. it looks more natural plus HH matches my hair perfectly. you may want to try that.

I seemed to have been challenged with this method. I've tried it but never could get the hair pinned just right and the pins were always uncomfortable. Which type of pins did you use?

I seemed to have been challenged with this method. I've tried it but never could get the hair pinned just right and the pins were always uncomfortable. Which type of pins did you use?
Goody brand-so Secure. The pins are thick,strong & don't bend- its, black w/ round ends. It looks like this but straight. (on page 3 -the curved wrap pin)http://www.goody.com/Products/Styling Tools/Pins_and_Clips/Pins/Pins.aspx I get it at walmart or any local beauty supply store for $1.00. It usually has 12 or 18 pins on a strip. I use about 4-5 for ponys. I wrap the weave about 3 times before I pin. HTH :)

Last edited:
Back