I am sooooo afraid of getting my hair done at the salon next week!!!

HoneyDew

I don't know how to get over my phobia. I really want to find someone to do my relaxers for me.

Today I made an appointment to get a wash, treatment and style next Saturday at the Ulta Salon. I think that is a good may to check the person out before I let them put chemicals in my hair.

They seem very professional and the salon manager (a Becky, BTW) really knew here stuff about relaxed hair. I want her to do my hair!!

But she made an appointment for me to see some other lady but I think I need to go back up there and meet her and let her see my hair and everything.

Knowing me, I will cancel the appointment eventually. :look: What the heck is wrong with me!!?!?!

Anyone else with similar fears? Anyone got over that fear? Help a sista out!

you are not alone in fears...

My mom just informed me that she can no longer do my at home relaxers because of allergy reasons..:perplexed

now where does that leave me? I am not keen on going back to a salon either..honestly I just may have to break down and do a self relaxer and I am not thrilled about that either since I hadn't done one on myself since highschool x amount of years ago:lol:

I feel you on this, trust me I am so afraid of leting someone put checmicals in my hair now that I understand the seriousness of a relaxer that I am contemplating not getting them anymore! I know some of the ladies on this board actually self rerlax, but I will not even do this.

But I think its a good thing not to let just anyone in your head, I mean some of these so called hair professionals don't even know how to rinse all of the relaxer out of your head especially in the neck area. I know there are some good ones out there, but I don't want to have to sit through all of the horrible ones to find out.

@Honeydew:

It's a good idea to do a consultation with the stylist she assigned to you, that way you can gauge whether or not you feel comfortable letting her at your tresses. My motto: Take no chances/risks with my hurr! :look:

If you can help it, skip a trim or trim yourself before/after. That's unless you really really trust her. I don't wanna read later how she cut off all your progress.:perplexed

wheezy807 said:
If you can help it, skip a trim or trim yourself before/after. That's unless you really really trust her. I don't wanna read later how she cut off all your progress.:perplexed

same here..:(

HoneyDew said:
I don't know how to get over my phobia. I really want to find someone to do my relaxers for me.

Today I made an appointment to get a wash, treatment and style next Saturday at the Ulta Salon. I think that is a good may to check the person out before I let them put chemicals in my hair.

They seem very professional and the salon manager (a Becky, BTW) really knew here stuff about relaxed hair. I want her to do my hair!!

But she made an appointment for me to see some other lady but I think I need to go back up there and meet her and let her see my hair and everything.

Knowing me, I will cancel the appointment eventually. :look: What the heck is wrong with me!!?!?!

Anyone else with similar fears? Anyone got over that fear? Help a sista out!

Don't go. Don't do it. You know how they like to cut. Sorry but I can see your post after the cut already. I wish you lived near me.

Honeydew
I you really obliged to go, go with a good friend or a brother who cares about you and who will check all the things the stylist will do to your hair!
I'll go with my brother who loves my hair and don't like to see scissors near it!

Honeydew - you are not alone in your fears. I've made and cancelled so many appointments that it's not even funny.

But you are a hair smart and savvy sistah. Going for a shampoo, condish and styling is a good first step. Ask lots of questions along the way - to let them know that you are concerned about your hair and what she (stylist) is doing. Also pay attention to the other stylists - take special note of the atmosphere and vibes that you get from the other customers.

Don't forget to let us know how things go. We got your back girlie ;) ;)

I say go for it HD mainly because you are not getting any chemical services. When you arrive be sure to CLEARLY BUT FIRMLY let the stylist know what you want done.

Be VERY specific that you do not want a trim/cut of any type. I think you will be fine. If things head south don't be afraid to walk out.

I have learned from this board that you don't have to be afraid to tell them what you want done.

wheezy807 said:

that is the part that I am scared of actually. They always want to "trim" you up!! :eek:

The only black woman that was there today when I made my appointment had hard gelled up hair with a phony pony on. :look:

I know many ladies use phony ponyies as protective styles, but that gelled up front section of hers scared me.

I did not want to be rude and say "Is she the one that is going to do my hair?"

I just really want someone to relax my hair straighter because I can only texlax it myself. maybe I need to just stay comfortable with my texlax. :perplexed

HoneyDew said:
that is the part that I am scared of actually. They always want to "trim" you up!! :eek:

The only black woman that was there today when I made my appointment had hard gelled up hair with a phony pony on. :look:

I know many ladies use phony ponyies as protective styles, but that gelled up front section of hers scared me.

I did not want to be rude and say "Is she the one that is going to do my hair?"

I just really want someone to relax my hair straighter because I can only texlax it myself. maybe I need to just stay comfortable with my texlax. :perplexed

texlaxing is not a bad thing. It seems to keep your hair stronger IMO..

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: LOL**at gelled up section and you wanting to say is she the one that is to do your hair!!!!

soun said:
Honeydew
I you really obliged to go, go with a good friend or a brother who cares about you and who will check all the things the stylist will do to your hair!
I'll go with my brother who loves my hair and don't like to see scissors near it!

Good idea!! My sister would be all over it for me!!

I say go for the wash and set, ask Becky if she actually does hair, if you can get her to do your wash and set. Interview the heck out of who ever is doing the touchup. Also, make it very clear that you are there for a tu and not a trim or cut.

I will be moving soon and I plan on keeping my hairdresser who will be 3+ hours away because I grew tired just thinking of breaking someone in.

InnerSoul said:
texlaxing is not a bad thing. It seems to keep your hair stronger IMO..

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: LOL**at gelled up section and you wanting to say is she the one that is to do your hair!!!!

:lol: :lol:

And she had no personality. When I walked over and asked if they did relaxers there, you would think she would have come to talk to me and check out my hair and everything. She just stood there and said nothing. :perplexed The store manager did all the talking.

Actually, when the manager made my appointment, I expressed my concern. She said honestly that since this salon is new she could not vouch for anyone there. She said they only try to hire high quality but she gave me the number of a girl named Trina in the Hunt Valley Ulta that she says she knows is all that.

HoneyDew said:

And she had no personality. When I walked over and asked if they did relaxers there, you would think she would have come to talk to me and check out my hair and everything. She just stood there and said nothing. :perplexed The store manager did all the talking.

Actually, when the manager made my appointment, I expressed my concern. She said honestly that since this salon is new she could not vouch for anyone there. She said they only try to hire high quality but she gave me the number of a girl named Trina in the Hunt Valley Ulta that she says she knows is all that.

dang..they dont even know the work of their own employees? sounds like a warning flag to me...perhaps I would be calling that Trina... I just hope there is a good outcome to all of this if you decide to go with that salon.
keep us updated;)

Honeydew, I JUST went through this. I had been so anxious/ not sleeping well. I saw Ivy @ Salon Cielo(Pentagon) yesterday for the first time. She has stated that she is all about hair health and wants to hear from her clients, because they know their hair better than her. She believes in stretching relaxers and using products that you like. You can bring your own styling products, if you wish. I'm not sure about relaxers. I know she uses affirm and phyto. She looked at my ends and said I didn't need a trim and she doesn't force anything on anyone. She did a good job. I have no scalp discomfort today. We talked the whole time about all of the wrong stuff that my previous stylist did/told me. It was very affirming, to know that those feelings that something just doesn't sit well with us are to be trusted.

I was in a state of shock, that she affirmed the healthy practices said in LCHF and that I felt respected. I am still so hyped and relieved at the same time.

I was quoted the price of 95-100 for t/u and trim w/affirm lye
and I paid 100 and will not be charged for a trim on my next visit.

I hate that you are feeling how I felt, but I hope that you find the same comfort I am finding. I strongly suggest contacting Ivy.

Info from her business card:
Ivy Rector 703-415-0406

hours: m-f 9:30-7, t-12-9, th-11-7, f-11-7, sat-9-4:30 every other sat

HTH!

InnerSoul said:
dang..they dont even know the work of their own employees? sounds like a warning flag to me...perhaps I would be calling that Trina... I just hope there is a good outcome to all of this if you decide to go with that salon.
keep us updated;)

I just talked to her on the phone. I am going to stop in to see her today when I get off work. She sounded good on the phone. I know that is crazy, but it does matter to me how someone communicates with me. It just makes me feel comfortable.

Okay today is the 1st day open and she already has clients on the books. :eek: She told me she will be finishing up a client when I am scheduled to get in.

Last edited:
Wow! Ivy sounds great!!! I like that you can bring in your own products, too.

Evazhair said:
Honeydew, I JUST went through this. I had been so anxious/ not sleeping well. I saw Ivy @ Salon Cielo(Pentagon) yesterday for the first time. She has stated that she is all about hair health and wants to hear from her clients, because they know their hair better than her. She believes in stretching relaxers and using products that you like. You can bring your own styling products, if you wish. I'm not sure about relaxers. I know she uses affirm and phyto. She looked at my ends and said I didn't need a trim and she doesn't force anything on anyone. She did a good job. I have no scalp discomfort today. We talked the whole time about all of the wrong stuff that my previous stylist did/told me. It was very affirming, to know that those feelings that something just doesn't sit well with us are to be trusted.

I was in a state of shock, that she affirmed the healthy practices said in LCHF and that I felt respected. I am still so hyped and relieved at the same time.

I was quoted the price of 95-100 for t/u and trim w/affirm lye
and I paid 100 and will not be charged for a trim on my next visit.

I hate that you are feeling how I felt, but I hope that you find the same comfort I am finding. I strongly suggest contacting Ivy.

Info from her business card:
Ivy Rector 703-415-0406

hours: m-f 9:30-7, t-12-9, th-11-7, f-11-7, sat-9-4:30 every other sat

HTH!

HoneyDew said:

Okay Miss Honeydew - now I'm concerned too. The manager had no personality, no knowledge of what anyone could do :eek: :eek:. What is she doing all day :mad: :mad: .

And the stylist should have been all up in your head and been telling (selling) you on what she could do. And, after seeing the jelled up pony, I think I'd be cancelling - Ya Know??:confused: :confused:

SunnyDelight said:
Okay Miss Honeydew - now I'm concerned too. The manager had no personality, no knowledge of what anyone could do :eek: :eek:. What is she doing all day :mad: :mad: .

And the stylist should have been all up in your head and been telling (selling) you on what she could do. And, after seeing the jelled up pony, I think I'd be cancelling - Ya Know??:confused: :confused:

Actually the Becky manager had a great personality. She knew all about relaxing and we talked about some of the strengthening treatments they do there.

She actually was only there to help out this weekend, and works out of a store in another city. When I told her about my concern. She said she understood and that she really liked this other girl in her store. I guess she did not hire any of the stylists at this particular location, but she commented that Ulta “only hires top quality” Yeah, that’s what they all say, right?

But, I am going to stop in an see the girl that I am scheduled with. She did make me feel better over the phone.

Just make sure you, HD, stay in control once you sit down in her chair. Ask questions about products and so forth. I hope it turns out well and post pics after it's done. Good luck.

Girl, I'm scared of the salon too. I had finally got the strength to make an appointment with a stylist recently for a relaxer.....and I chickened out. But I like the idea that you're only going in for a wash and style, very smart. I think I'm going to try going in for a wash and a rollerset at the JCPenny's salon I went to yesterday to buy some keracare products on sale....it was very nice and the people were friendly.

Good luck on your hair appointment, if you end up going :)

If ur just getting a wash n set to test her out I wouldnt be afraid just let her know u dont want a trim that u do it urself or u have someone else that does it ...if u like her service then maybe it will put u at ease to get the relaxer if u are tired of being texlaxed

I don't blame you, HoneyDew. I haven't bene to my stylist in @1 1/2 years & don't plan on going to one anytime soon...

I think you're going about it the right way though by meeting with the stylist before she does anything.

But that Ivy sounds good. How about consulting with 3 different stylists before you make your decision on who will actually style your hair?

You are SO not alone. I made appointments and canceled with about 3 stylists last year because of this very thing. I came to the realization that I'm just too particular about my hair so I learned to do everything myself. I was thinking the other day that I would mind getting a shampoo/DC/rollerset done at a salon, but I don't know any good stylists and I'm leary of testing the waters and regretting it.

I definitely think a consultation is in order with whomever you decide to go to. It's the best time to make your expectations clear. Consultations have saved me from some not-so-great stylists.

I know how you feel. After I "fired" my stylist in April I was so worried about where to go next and whether I should self-relax or transition. I was so scared of dealing with another pushy, stubborn stylist.

Last week I got a touch-up at a new salon. I had gone there once before just to check them out. I got a shampoo, DC, rollerset so that I could see how they handle my hair, how they treat me & other customers, and so that I could watch them do touch-ups on other customers.

Last week at my touch-up the stylist did not complain about my 14 weeks' worth of NG. Another stylist thoroughly rinsed out the relaxer, neutralized, and did my DC and rollerset. I brought my own products, and so did a lot of other customers.

No one even said the word "trim" to me. No one told me that my ends look bad. No one picked up a pair of shears. I was so relieved when I left that everything went well.

bgsix said:
Be VERY specific that you do not want a trim/cut of any type.

and there it is...

because a lot of them get a percentage on the amount of service they provide. The easiest, fastest thing to push on a customer is a trim... they may say you need it, but dammitman, they just want their percentage of that $15.

Back