I Am So Sick Of You Tuber Sponsored Reviews

vevster

Taylor Anne from MAD Curls even went as far as to say Not Sponsosored on an Instagram video holding the bottle of a product sent to her for review.

THEN I realize the products have silicones! I’m going to try and return them for credit at Sally’s.

Hmmm but what's the difference between a sponsored ad and a review based on a request?

On another note, maybe you could try silicones? They might work for you. A lot of people here on LHCF love them in their hair.
Now that bothers me when someone asks a tuber to do a review on a certain product. Like they want you to go out, spend your own money, set up your filming equipment, etc to see if it is something they would buy for themselves? That’s crazy! Lol I think it is cool when viewers send you product gifts to try.

Hmmm but what's the difference between a sponsored ad and a review based on a request?

On another note, maybe you could try silicones? They might work for you. A lot of people here on LHCF love them in their hair.

Bloggers/vloggers doing sponsored ads are being compensated monetarily for the review plus get the product free. For review requests or "provided for review" usually means that they were given free product but aren't paid for the review. Youtubers and instagramers are really bad about disclosing both.

I have tried silicones.

FCC does require disclosures for payment. I remember a year or two ago they were popping up in the majority of the videos I like watching.

I also remember Naptural85 making a video about her uneasiness and the flack she was getting from her collaboration/sponsorship/commercials with/for Shea Moisture. And I honestly felt angry and offended on her behalf. Like how dare anyone try to shame her for providing for her family or make her feel bad for expanding her options!

My thing is this: How much weight does anyone put into a YouTube product review to begin with? Is that weight much different from a typical commercial? You can’t touch their hair and haven’t seen it in person. And everyone’s hair is different, so if 99% of a YouTuber’s suggestions would work for you, there’s still 1% that won’t. And maybe that 1% is the unlucky percentage that you purchased. So now the YouTuber is a liar?
Same reasoning with a still ad, a la FaceBook/Instagram etc

On the flip side, it’s been proven that a majority of popular vloggers/bloggers/SM mavens are popular because of their looks, charm, personality, production quality etc, something nebulous. At most, because of hair CARE practices, not because of hair PRODUCTS.

If you really like that person or their content, why would anyone be against them increasing their coins? A lot of the same people complaining about sponsored videos and paid ads are the same ones who have ad blockers, skip the ads altogether, don’t support their side hustles (merchandise/appearances etc), or won’t AT THE LEAST subscribe.
It’s plain as day that the more popular you are, the more your energy/investment into your content is like a job. And why wouldn’t you be compensated (somewhat) more appropriately for the quality of work you do?

I think that if more fans actually SUPPORTED these content creators, the less pressure/accountability they would feel to sponsorships.*Kanye shrug*

At the end of the day, to even question whether the sponsorship makes a difference on the review is to question the integrity of that creator altogether. It’s self-evident what products are the favorites because they’re the go-tos in videos and posts. You see those products in January. Then again in March, May, December... the following year, for years on end etc. You also see them on repeat in Empties videos and end of the year Favorites/seasonal Favorites videos.

People who were itching to try something NEW, do so because they want to try something new. If you wanted to try something that’s likelier to WORK, or something new-to-you, why not try products that show longevity with the blogger/vlogger you’ve chosen?

Idk. I’m sorry for the rant. It’s over. No offense intended to OP at all. I’m just hella annoyed by this myopic perspective.

ETA: what content creators have over a typical commercial is the amount of detail they go into over the product. Even if they personally dislike it, they can still describe a product’s attributes and one of their followers may love it. (A great example of this is Melshary Arias on Youtube. She cracks me up when she calls stuff “crap in a bottle.” But she still describes the product’s critical attributes and a few times the stuff that was crap for her actually worked for me.) At the end of the day, I myself (and most persnickety consumers) research the beejees out of a product before purchase and oftentimes the ingredients list itself makes or breaks a sale, regardless of any review/commercial/recommendation.

Last edited:
FCC does require disclosures for payment. I remember a year or two ago they were popping up in the majority of the videos I like watching.

I also remember Naptural85 making a video about her uneasiness and the flack she was getting from her collaboration/sponsorship/commercials with/for Shea Moisture. And I honestly felt angry and offended on her behalf. Like how dare anyone try to shame her for providing for her family or make her feel bad for expanding her options!

My thing is this: How much weight does anyone put into a YouTube product review to begin with? Is that weight much different from a typical commercial? You can’t touch their hair and haven’t seen it in person. And everyone’s hair is different, so if 99% of a YouTuber’s suggestions would work for you, there’s still 1% that won’t. And maybe that 1% is the unlucky percentage that you purchased. So now the YouTuber is a liar?
Same reasoning with a still ad, a la FaceBook/Instagram etc

On the flip side, it’s been proven that a majority of popular vloggers/bloggers/SM mavens are popular because of their looks, charm, personality, production quality etc, something nebulous. At most, because of hair CARE practices, not because of hair PRODUCTS.

If you really like that person or their content, why would anyone be against them increasing their coins? A lot of the same people complaining about sponsored videos and paid ads are the same ones who have ad blockers, skip the ads altogether, don’t support their side hustles (merchandise/appearances etc), or won’t AT THE LEAST subscribe.
It’s plain as day that the more popular you are, the more your energy/investment into your content is like a job. And why wouldn’t you be compensated (somewhat) more appropriately for the quality of work you do?

I think that if more fans actually SUPPORTED these content creators, the less pressure/accountability they would feel to sponsorships.*Kanye shrug*

At the end of the day, to even question whether the sponsorship makes a difference on the review is to question the integrity of that creator altogether. It’s self-evident what products are the favorites because they’re the go-tos in videos and posts. You see those products in January. Then again in March, May, December... the following year, for years on end etc. You also see them on repeat in Empties videos and end of the year Favorites/seasonal Favorites videos.

People who were itching to try something NEW, do so because they want to try something new. If you wanted to try something that’s likelier to WORK, or something new-to-you, why not try products that show longevity with the blogger/vlogger you’ve chosen?

Idk. I’m sorry for the rant. It’s over. No offense intended to OP at all. I’m just hella annoyed by this myopic perspective.

ETA: what content creators have over a typical commercial is the amount of detail they go into over the product. Even if they personally dislike it, they can still describe a product’s attributes and one of their followers may love it. (A great example of this is Melshary Arias on Youtube. She cracks me up when she calls stuff “crap in a bottle.” But she still describes the product’s critical attributes and a few times the stuff that was crap for her actually worked for me.) At the end of the day, I myself (and most persnickety consumers) research the beejees out of a product before purchase and oftentimes the ingredients list itself makes or breaks a sale, regardless of any review/commercial/recommendation.
I watch toy reviews and those are heavily sponsored, but they are helpful. I wish I could have found a more honest review about a laptop I purchased...

Back