I am so nervous about straightening! I want to but I am scared....

Honey-Dip

My hair hasn't had any heat on it since Nov 08 and I BC'd December 08. I want to straighten my hair for 4th of July and for a length check. I have a new FHI that was a gift to myself for Christmas and the CHI-product kit for straightening.....What's a girl to do? Advice?

Last edited:
id say get your hair as "naturally straight" (esp the ends) as possible before you flatiron. that way you only have to use one pass of heat instead of 3 or more to get it straight with the flatirons. to get it "naturally straight" try to rollerset the hair. Banktu Knot set the hair (results in my siggy of a bantu knot set and flatiron) or you can band the hair. all these help elongate and stretch the hair while wet and setting it straight without having to blow dry. they all work for me. also don't forget to use a heat protectant. HTH a lil bit!

also i'm natural and my hair gets straight using these methods. I'm sure others will chime in!

I agree with BoingBoing! Get that hair as straight as possible through twisting, bantu knots, braids, rollersetting, etc.

My hair gets the straightest when I do big twists. Is you hair long enough to put in 4 large twists?

Your hair is in its most healthiest state that it can be in, You straightening it once in a blue will not harm any, especially if you take the proper precautions, as in heat protecting and a really good moisturizaing DC prior.

Be careful. Your hair is super-cute and if it doesn't kink-up after straightening, that would be devastating.

Make sure the appliance isn't super hot.

Thanks for the advice ladies. IF I do it, I will put it in bantu knots first to stretch it. I will mos def use a great heat protectant and a really good moisturizaing DC prior.

Should I bantu knot my hair wet, or blow dry it then bantu knot it for a while and then flat iron it?

Go for it! I've had my hair straightened 3 times now that I've been natural...each time the stylist used and FHI iron...and i've had no heat damage or problems with reversion. i agree w/ others to make sure you DC and also have a good heat protectant. i was so nervous as well the first time but so far so good! post pics :)

I understand how you feel. I get nervous too about straightening my hair. I advise you to use the lowest heat setting you can, and still get your hair straight. Too much heat can = hair not going back curly.

Also, use a good heat protectant. I personally like Beyond the Zone Turn Up the Heat. It works well to protect the hair from heat (and it doesn't make that sizzle sound when you run your flat iron over your hair--like some heat protectants do).

Should I bantu knot my hair wet, or blow dry it then bantu knot it for a while and then flat iron it?

No the key is to not have to use excessive heat prior to flat-ironing. Bantu on light damp hair. For each section blot/ring out excess water of each Bantu and apply your moisturizer. Do not blow dry first. If your hair holds water I suggest you set in front of a fan or spray the heat protectant on your Bantus and sit under a nice warm hooded dryer.

The flat-iron should only be the hot thing you use on your hair. Minimum direct heat for minimum heat damage is what we are going for. *wink*

Back