i am joining the draw string pony crew today...

FineChyna

after seeing how many members swear by using the "baggy" system with the draw string pony i went to the store and got me a pony. its really curly and puffy and was only $6.

at first i was hesitant because when i took it out the bag it looked dry as hay and it looked like a small puff. but after stretching the hair out, oiling it and putting some shine serum on it, it looks great

one thing i noticed is that my natural hair is longer, thicker than the fake puff but i guess that is ok for now. i wanted a bigger one but the store only had one type. i have been eyeing this hair piece every since i saw how cute beyonce's was during her austin power's stage.

i haven't worn a phony pony in YEARS. from the time i was 13-16 i had one cause my hair was breaking off badly and i was too embarrassed to wear my natural hair. it wasn't a drawstring though, but it did bring back memories of when i wouldn't be caught dead without that fake piece of hair-even when i was sick and had a doc appointment that fake hair was on my head. it was like a life perserver to me, although everyone knew it was fake...lol

anyway that is my hair adventure today :)

Can u please tell me how to use a drawstring pony? I'm used to wearing one with a clip, but my ends were not happy. :ohwell:

my drawstring has a clip and the string

when i tried it i braided my ends up, pushed the clip in and pulled the string tightly and then tucked the string inside the netting. maybe i am missing a step as well?

DDtexlaxd said:
Can u please tell me how to use a drawstring pony? I'm used to wearing one with a clip, but my ends were not happy. :ohwell:

I usually wear the ponies with the two combs and drawstring. First, I baggie my own hair. Then, I pull in the drawstring until there is *just* enogh of an opening to put my baggie in before placing it in my hair to avoid damage. I gently push the combs into the baggie right beneath the no-damage cloth hair band I use to secure my hair. After this, I really don’t need to tighten the phony pony tail much, but I pull the drawstring, wrap it around the base of the pony tail, and sure the ends of the string with bobby pins underneath the hair (usually 2 bobby pins are enough). If I wear a longer pony and want a slightly differnt look, I take a thick strand of the hair from the back and wrap it around the base of the ponytail. I’ve had a lot of practice, but this method creates no damage, and I can dance, play, and even swim in my ponies. :grin:

To protect your edges from damage from pulling here a little trick: do not put your own hair into too tight of a pony tail initially. It will feel lose, but once you put on the phony pony, it will pull in your hair a little more and will be firm, but not be tight at all (no pulling!). ;) HTH!

Back