I am about to have a heart attack - my hair keeps breaking!

tobisak1

Long story short - I took my cornrows out, and experienced some prety intense matting in the back of my head (interestingly, not in the front - more on that later). Now that my braids are out - every time I touch my hair several strands are coming out - and longer strands (like 6 inches) at that.

Last edited:
I'm sorry this is happening to you. Is it possible that the strands are shedded hair? Do you see a bulb on the top of the strand? If not, I would say to do a protein treatment and then deep condition your hair. Good luck.

tobisak1 said:
Long story short - I took my cornrows out, and experienced some prety intense matting in the back of my head (interestingly, not in the front - more on that later). Now that my braids are out - every time I touch my hair several strands are coming out - and longer strands (like 6 inches) at that. Some background - I have had weaves for the past year, but I didnt take care of my hair underneath, so naturally I expected breakage of this proportion. However, with the cornrows I just took out, I did a pretty good job of taking care of my hair - and the breakage seems even worse! As far as the matting in the back vs. the front: I noticed that the braids in the front were MUCH smaller in the front - maybe in washing I was able to dislodge more of the buildup? Anyway, I'm rambling - does anyone know of any products that will stop breakage immediately? I am about to have some kind of breakdown - and it's Christmas Eve. :(

JOICO K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor (but after using this, make sure you follow up with a really good moisturizing conditioner [it probably would be a good idea to deep condition]...followed by products that will add more moisture!)

Motions CPR Treatment Conditioner (stops breakage immediately and is a lot cheaper than the JOICO)

Inhale.....slowly. Exhale....slowly.
No breakdowns allowed on Christmas Eve!
I always find it helpful to read some old posts - and get comfort from the fact that (almost) ALL of us have been there. It's the old "misery loves company" syndrome, but those threads are often full of helpful ideas and sincere compassion.
xoxo,
Lin

Hey hon,
Are you relaxed? If so, I recommend that you deep condition your hair today and let it air dry in a bun. Run to the store and get some cute hair clippies. Next week, do a heavy protein treatment like aphogee when you have more time.

Back