HUMIDITY!!!!

Chaya

Well the midwest is ALREADY getting hit with the humidity!!
MY hair is shot! It looks like an afro and I just did a rollerset last night!!

What do you do to combat the frizzies!! HELP!!!

i wish I could say...this was one of the reasons why I got a relaxer in the first place and one of the reasons why i stopped relaxing. I thought my relaxer would help tame it, but it didnt. Have you tried textured styles like straw sets and braidouts instead of the rollersetting? So if your hair does frizz up its not that noticable. Plus you dance a lot too right? IMO you can't win when it comes to humidity. I hope someone else has a solution.

I received some great help from the ladies on this board for humidity. I was told to use Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant pomade which I use on my damp hair to seal in moisture before I airdry. I also apply it daily on my hair. It isn't a 100% prevention but it really helps. It prevents outside moisture from getting to the hair. One of the key ingredients is castor oil. Plus I don't wear my hair straight anyway - either in a braid out or up in a bun. The trick is to work with the humidity, rather than against it. Braid outs work pretty well.

The only thing that has really worked to keep humidity at bay for me is serum (I use Fantasia IC Hair Polisher
up.gif
). I'm natural, and this really maintains my presses. It seems to lock out the moisture (which is why some people dislike it). As long as I clarify periodically, I don't experience any problems.

I just put some Hawaiian silky activator, lotion, and/or gel in it and hope for the best. It still poofs but it's pretty cute for a few hours.

Man Im telling you! This humidity hit me like a ton of bricks these past two days! For some reason I forgot where I lived! I forgot about all this humidity we get around here! Well I with I could try the whole braid out deal. Unfortunately I cant braid worth a d**n! As far as this whole dancing deal, I am going to have to confine that to the weekends so I can just wash it after a day of classes.

I do have the aveda anti humectant, I just have to bring it out the archives!

[ QUOTE ]
Mija said:
I just put some Hawaiian silky activator, lotion, and/or gel in it and hope for the best. It still poofs but it's pretty cute for a few hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my hair was TOO cute today! I was so excited about my new AUBREY GPB or whatever hair was soft,shiney and bouncey I thought I was a white girl, till I hit that humidty. Looked like a straight up slave!

sh- ya'll should see me after a nite of dancin- a huge afro and a greasy *** face. My hair looks like a deflated Foxy Brown wig!

Who's tryin to look like that everytime they go outside though? Ill just have to find another way!

lol...I dont think there is anything that can really prevent poofiness due to humidity 100%...every since i was younger I have just adapted my styles to the climate

I agree with the vote for Aveda Anti-Humectant. When I lived in a humid climate, I was using this all the time on my relaxed hair and I never had an issue with frizz. Sometimes my hair would go flat but it would never poof out.

ayanapooh checking in to say I HATE looking like Michael Jackson in the early days ever time I leave the house!
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif

afro.jpg

I have to recommend Matrix Sleek look....it works wonders for me and the NYC humidity ( #1 problem for me) shampoo is very moisturizing and the conditioner softens like crazy!!! Also Rusk Leave-in helps control frizzes. I'm 12 weeks this week and I had soooo little hair come out during the set I was shocked.....but also in the summer my hair would remain pretty smoothed out... Matrix has a whole line of stuff...a leave in which I used in the past ( I like it but I like Rusk better....for comb outs) maybe you could get samples( not sure where) to check it out first

But if all else fails...go for the curls/waves/texture.....

The Matrix sleek look whole line huh?

How about the Redken Smooth down line? Has anyone ever used that in humid weather? I have that line I just wasnt real impressed with the conditioner/shampoo ( although the heat glide is a staple!)so I never used it again. However, if it will combat the frizzies I am more than welcomed to it!

It is like the humidity just kicked in 120% all of a sudden! It is been double bad hair days for me because I just took my braids out after 9.5 weeks, and my hair is trying to re-adjust. Hats and scarfs have been my best friends!

Ccd - thanks for sharing about these products. I'm always open to success stories with humidity and hair. Can you share your hair type also?

oh you are very welcome....humidity is the death of me ...my hair just soaks it up.......my hair type is 4a and thick . I highly rec the Matrix shamp and cond. (FYI they do have cones in them so if you/hair don't like them, then beware)....my hair really responds to silicones and it doesn't get dried out.

Like I said I've use the leave-in cream they have 2 stregths lite and extreme (I think its called)...that's a creamy but lite product, I prefer Rusk because it really detangles.....

Oh my hair loves cones! No problems with those here! I am so upset I have to use a new leave in though! I just found the PERFECT leave in for my hair. It provides so much slip and my hair turns out so great.
But you said RUSK has a good leave in that fight humidity huh? Well how about the MATRIX line? About those two strengths, which one do you like the best?
My hair is about 3c/4a and it loves the moisture, soaks it right up!

Reading these posts has made me appreciate my texurized hair even more so. Yes indeed! Bring on the humidity and bring on the rain!
smile.gif

I used the extreme leave-in but like I said it was just to light for me, in the sense that I had to use quite a bit to feel the difference, while Rusk just does it all fo me!! maybe you could take a look at the sham&con ...cause I really feel the difference after the sham, it just calms my hair down so well, then when the I use the con, its even better.....if you can get your hands on samples you could do that be4 you invest in full bottles...( just my humble suggestion)

I used to have a terrible problem with humidity. My hair must have made arrangements w/the atmosphere to serve as the offical moisture absorption unit. It would be HUGE.
shocked.gif
I went to Carabana one year and crimped my hair which was 16 or 17" at the time. Before I made it to the Canada my hair was shoulder length! Maddening!

Anyway, I started to condition my hair faithfully w/a heating cap. Each wash I sat for a minimum of 20 mins. I read on the Ouidad site that the swelling of the hair fibers had something to do w/sealing the cuticle and to get the proteins and lipids to adhere to curls you have to use heat. I don't how long it took, but it worked and now my hair doesn't react at all to humidity.

I think deep conditioning with heat is a good idea. I have not had any problem with poofiness and humidity in long time now. Even when I "used" to work out my ponytail would stay straight. Moisture is key!

Ok I got it!

I will start using heat with my deep conditioner which I had stopped doing so I would have more mobility when I had conditioner in my hair. I am on ebay as we speak looking for this rusk leave in! Thanks CCD!

That's interesting. I didn't know deep conditioning with a heat cap will help to keep hair reverting from humidity.

It seems to work and it didn't matter what sort of conditioner I used. I was using Bed Head Moisture Maniac when I started, switched to Nexxus (Humectress and Keraphix) and now I use Phyto and AO GPB. I do my nails while I wait & if all you have is 20 mins, that works. I also add more conditioner when I finish and let it sit for 10 mins. w/o heat. I saw that on the Ouidad site too, but I can't recall why it was recommended.
crazy.gif

Back