Humidity and dryness!

Bronxcutie

I was at my HS reunion BBQ for about five hours yesterday. When I came home, my hair was dry like straw! I'm in NYC,and we are in the midst of a heat wave. Can humidity dry out the hair? What do you ladies recommend? While I'm typing this, I am on the train heading to a Yankees game! I guess more dryness ahead! I did put on some NTM leave in and some Jane Carter Nourish & Shine.

The Effects of Humidity on Dry Hair

Women with dry hair detest the summer because it brings along warm and humid conditions. Those conditions can wreck havoc on those with dry hair; however, there are ways to prevent that damage.
  1. Split Ends Humidity causes an increase in split ends because it actually dries out the hair, leaving it malnourished. The ends and edges split when they don't receive enough nutrients.
  2. Dryness Humidity adds more moisture to the air and can actually make dry hair look and feel even more dry. This is caused by the swelling of the hair follicles as more moisture enters the hair.
  3. Frizziness Frizziness is a condition that causes the hair to look frizzy as the hairs split. The increase of moisture in the hair causes this to happen.
  4. Damage Humidity causes more general damage to dry hair as well. As the hairs tear and split, they look brittle, dry and dirty.
  5. Prevention/Solution The best way to reduce the effects of humidity on dry hair is by using specific products for dry hair, including hair serums and leave-in conditioners. Reducing the amount of electrical products the person uses, such as curling irons and hair dryers, is also recommended.

Taken from:
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5014404_effects-humidity-dry-hair.html

I suggest you use products with glycerin, like S Curl. They work well in humid conditions.

Great post, Americka! Bronxcutie, what is your regimen? I combat dryness by deep conditioning with heat every week, and I have been keeping the frizz away with Sabino.

Make sure your hair is always well moisturized so the humidity can't cause your strands to swell/damage....Maybe think about investing in some cute hats/head scarfs for when you're outside because the SUN is also a killa.

Thanks ladies! I deep condition weekly and usually pin curl ny hair. On really humid days, I put my hair in a bun. I'm at the game now and my hair is out and isn't dry like it was yesterday. I am under the overhang so I'm not in the sun. I use heat once a week with my InStyler Rotating Iron.

Back