HUGE Dilemma, Need Lots of Help.....please? I'm Desperate!

Sonye93

Hey guys, I hope lots of people will help me, I need tons of answers. AND YES, I DID DO A SEARCH FIRST :lol:.

Okay here's the problem, I just learned how to rollerset and I have been doing it now for 3 weeks, but I noticed that each time I did I'd have soooo much hair in the sink. I am currently 10 weeks post or so, I am stretching till 15 weeks. I am supposed to be retaining length but how can I do that when half my hair is in the sink?

Although I am new to rollersetting, I am pretty sure I am doing it the right way. My hair is fully detangled before I start the process. I detangle gently by the way. I just feel like I am going backwards now that I don't airdry anymore (school started- no time, and its getting colder).

My question is....Is there an alternative to rollersetting on hair with an abundance of new growth and still achieve straight hair WITHOUT SO MUCH HEAT? I m texlaxed by the way.

Please help, If I can't find and answer to this, I don't think I will be able to move further along my healthy hair journey (I have a loooong way to go).

What do you mean by a lot of hair? Like how many strands?

And are the hairs broken? (varying lengths, no white bulb) Or shed hairs? (white bulb)

What are you using to detangle? Personally, I feel that the rollersetting may be too much manipulation for your 10 week post hair. That line of demarcation is very fragile. You may want to find a different style during the end of your stretch.

What do you mean by a lot of hair? Like how many strands?

And are the hairs broken? (varying lengths, no white bulb) Or shed hairs? (white bulb)

Broken hairs and shed hairs. I only get broken hairs when rollersetting, usually during the week only shed hairs. Yes the hairs are varying in length. By a lot I mean uncountable, looks like I purposely sprinkled then all over the sink and floor.:perplexed

What are you using to detangle? Personally, I feel that the rollersetting may be too much manipulation for your 10 week post hair. That line of demarcation is very fragile. You may want to find a different style during the end of your stretch.

I detangle right after I deep condition with the conditioner in my hair still. I deep condition with ORS and honey. Yea, I know it's too much manipulation, but, do you have any alternatives, I like wearing my hair straight.

Me...I detangle with a wide tooth comb after I rinse the conditioner and have applied leave-ins because my hair has lots of slip. I sit under the drier for 30 min, then blowdry on medium heat. I then flat iron because that is the only thing that will straighten my new growth.

In the first picture of my siggy, I was 8 weeks post.

Broken hairs and shed hairs. I only get broken hairs when rollersetting, usually during the week only shed hairs. Yes the hairs are varying in length. By a lot I mean uncountable, looks like I purposely sprinkled then all over the sink and floor.:perplexed

You just started taking good care of your hair recently right? If so, the pre-lhcf hair may be so damaged that the manipulation from rollersetting is just too much for them.

Also, I know you said you were airdrying before now. Why not just style your hair in whatever way you used to style it and then sit under the dryer for a bit? That way you don't have to wait hours for it to airdry.

Yeah, this problem looks familiar :yep:....I'm texlaxed and rollerset weekly, even into my 15th week of stretching. For me, rollersetting is an excellent, low-manipulation way for your hair to look great, even during those latter weeks post touchup. To help eliminate excessive hair breakage, I do a few things:

1) Make sure ends are sufficiently moisturized
2) Detangle thoroughly but gently
3) Don't pull the roller too much as you roll toward the scalp
4) Don't use HOT setting on dryer...I use MEDIUM.
5) Never run a comb through dry hair; after removing rollers, fingerstyle.

Hope this helps...
icon7.gif

Last edited:
You just started taking good care of your hair recently right? If so, the pre-lhcf hair may be so damaged that the manipulation from rollersetting is just too much for them.

Also, I know you said you were airdrying before now. Why not just style your hair in whatever way you used to style it and then sit under the dryer for a bit? That way you don't have to wait hours for it to airdry.

Yea, I started in Jan/Feb of this year. I tried that method, but I still end up flat ironing the whole thing.

Me...I detangle with a wide tooth comb after I rinse the conditioner and have applied leave-ins because my hair has lots of slip. I sit under the drier for 30 min, then blowdry on medium heat. I then flat iron because that is the only thing that will straighten my new growth.

In the first picture of my siggy, I was 8 weeks post.

Wait, so you do this every week and you don't get breakage or heat damage?

Yeah, this problem looks familiar :yep:....I'm texlaxed and rollerset weekly, even into my 15th week of stretching. For me, rollersetting is an excellent, low-manipulation way for your hair to look great, even during those latter weeks post touchup. To help eliminate excessive hair breakage, I do a few things:

1) Make sure ends are sufficiently moisturized
2) Detangle thoroughly but gently
3) Don't pull the roller too much as you roll toward the scalp
4) Don't use HOT setting on dryer...I use MEDIUM.
5) Never run a comb through dry hair; after removing rollers, fingerstyle.

Hope this helps...
icon7.gif

Cool, next week I'll try these tips, Thanks!

Wait, so you do this every week and you don't get breakage or heat damage?

Heat damage?...Nope. Breakage? Very minimal. I'm sure I could retain more length if I didn't use heat every week but I am satisfied with my progress my hair has made since I joined this board 1 year ago. I DC EVERY week. I use a heat protectant, I blowdry on medium until my hair is 95% dry, and when I flat iron, I do 1 maybe 2 passes. None of that 5-10 passes on one section of hair.

Sonye, at what point are you seeing the hairs in the sink, after detangling or is it when you're combing and putting the rollers in?

If it's before you put the rollers have you checked your strands for protein and moisture balance?

When is the last time you clarified and did some sort of protein?

The only time I have broken hairs is either from a lack of protein or too much protein.

Heat damage?...Nope. Breakage? Very minimal. I'm sure I could retain more length if I didn't use heat every week but I am satisfied with my progress my hair has made since I joined this board 1 year ago. I DC EVERY week. I use a heat protectant, I blowdry on medium until my hair is 95% dry, and when I flat iron, I do 1 maybe 2 passes. None of that 5-10 passes on one section of hair.

Oh okay cool. Yea I don't do more than 2 passes neither.

Sonye, at what point are you seeing the hairs in the sink, after detangling or is it when you're combing and putting the rollers in?

If it's before you put the rollers have you checked your strands for protein and moisture balance?

When is the last time you clarified and did some sort of protein?

The only time I have broken hairs is either from a lack of protein or too much protein.

My protein and moisture balance is pretty much on point. And I see breakage when I am trying to smooth out my hair to put on the rollers and when I am taking them out. It's not the clips, I think it's the setting lotion. It's diluted but I guess it still makes my hair hard.

I purchased macherieamour's rollersetting DVD. I now see how I can improve my roller setting skills. Thanks a lot everyone.

Back