How Your Brain Falls In Love

Thanks for sharing! I love learning about the science behind love and attraction.

I'm curious about how testosterone levels influence a man's level of interest in commitment at different ages. We talk a lot about the struggles of women dating past a certain age, and I'm starting to wonder if we've been wrong about the optimal commitment age for men. I would often hear that no man is ready to settle down in his twenties, but it seems like most men do settle down around 25-28-- not necessarily marry, but identify their long-term partner. I'd be interested in knowing if there is a sweet spot in that age range to where the testosterone levels aren't so out of control that the man wants to chase every woman in sight, but also they are still high enough to where the man desires the company of a woman. It does feel like as men get older, their desire to commit right away declines. They aren't as wrapped up in women and they are a little more level-headed. In fact, I've heard from multiple men that when they were younger, they were obsessed with women. As they got older, they still desired physical intimacy, but weren't as obsessed with the idea of commitment.

Grandma got it right. I have always lived this principle. If love and commitment has not been established nothing physical or emotional is going to happen involving me. The thought will literally never cross my mind as an option without those prerequisites being met first.

Back