How would YOU tweek my regimen. No Growth

summerof1990

I've been trying to grow my hair out and its not growing period.
Funny thing is I cut it and it grows back QUICK but to the SAME length and STAY. Why is this? Sometimes i wonder why God made it so hard to and troublesome for me to grow my HAIR

I hope u can help.

Shampoo. I shampoo once a week, but I'm thinking about cutting back on shampooing. I usually shampoo with Aphogee or Garlic Shampoo from Nutrine

Cowash- I just started cowashing like every other day I found out my hair likes it and its not as dry as it used to be. I cowash with Herbal Essence "Self Targeting Conditioner" from the Hydralicious line

Deep Condition- Deep condition with the same conditioner which is HE Conditioner but leave it on longer for over 2hours

Leave In's-Olive oil and I just started using Aloe Vera Juice Aloe Gel and Castor Oil.

Styling- I don't even comb my ends and I wear it up in a tucked in ponytail no pins included.

Going to Bed Style- Two twist then moisturize with aloe vera juice and castor oil on the ends and put to little clips on the ends to keep my ends up. (No, I don't put the clips directly on my ends.) I tweeked my regimen around March and started twisting my hair before bed rather than wrapping. ALOT LESS BREAKAGE!

I mean i don't see what im doing wrong to not see growth.Do you? I'm 21 no health problems been trying to grow it out for 2 years. I'm armpit length.

Don't fret OP, LHCF will get to the bottom of your hair issues.

What I see missing from your reggie is a real DC. One that says it is a deep conditioner on the label, and also missing, is protein. Once you get your moisture/protein balance correct your hair will be much healthier.

Check out the sticky posted by Sistaslick on the subject in this forum.

I agree with frizzy.

Also, I would suggest taking a picture of your hair and scalp on a month to month basis to try and pinpoint the issue. Perhaps you are a less than average grower (meaning you grow at a pace of less than 0.50" a month) or your hair practices aren't helping you.

I also see that you are armpit length...you may want to check out the threads about growth after APL. A few found it that it took some time to grow out from APL to MBL.

Don't fret OP, LHCF will get to the bottom of your hair issues.

What I see missing from your reggie is a real DC. One that says it is a deep conditioner on the label, and also missing, is protein. Once you get your moisture/protein balance correct your hair will be much healthier.

Check out the sticky posted by Sistaslick on the subject in this forum.

I really appreciate that we all take the time out to help each other here.

But does the chi keratin mist count as protein. I also use the QP breakage serum when i saw severe breakage it calmed it but my hair wasn't growing at all so i discontinued. And thats for clearing up that deep conditioning mistake i was making I use to DC but i dont find the DPR11 in my beauty salon anymore i loved that stuff.

Thanks again missy.

Based on what my hair likes:

I would check manipulation, especially if co-washing often, since you say twisting overnight has helped (I avoid tools altogether and it has benefited my hair). I would make sure I use a soft elastic without metallic parts when making the ponytail.

I would definitely introduce a thicker/richer conditioner (or something like a cholesterol) to deep conditioion, and a strengthening one with protein, since there is a lot of frequent water and moisture in your regimen.

And I would check if my leave in is enough. If it doesn't feel like it, then I would try your conditioner as a leave in. i.e: my hair prefers conditioner as a leave in to frequent cowashing.

Happy hair growing!

Detox
Work out
Drink 64oz + of water
Take a multi vitamin
Eat more protein
That should give you a push.
HHG

YES working out is good i only do it 3-4 times a week like walking on the treadmill. That doesn't count not intense enough.

Water. I only drink 3 bottles of bottled water a day. I know thats not enough is it.

Multi Vitamin it is. I will start taking those. I use to take walmart biotin and msm..didn't do anything.

I'm a proteinaholic.

Thank you! i will follow this and see where it takes me

I agree with frizzy.

Also, I would suggest taking a picture of your hair and scalp on a month to month basis to try and pinpoint the issue. Perhaps you are a less than average grower (meaning you grow at a pace of less than 0.50" a month) or your hair practices aren't helping you.

I also see that you are armpit length...you may want to check out the threads about growth after APL. A few found it that it took some time to grow out from APL to MBL.

I doubt that I'm a slow grower i went to get my hair cut and my hair was barely touching my shoulders after she cut it. i did this is in March and i can say i grew it all back before June. But as soon as i get to APL its like seeing a 99% download trying to make it to 100% lol. I really want to know why it takes this long for other women too.But Thank sweety.

Are you relaxed or natural?

I'm natural. For me, what helped the most was completely leaving my hair alone. I wear my hair in a protective style 99% of the time and only manipulate my hair once a week. I use no more than three different products in a month. I wash my hair biweekly (or less sometimes). My hair stays moisturized because I seal my ends without pulling on them. And I have seen so little breakage it's almost scary. HTH

I really appreciate that we all take the time out to help each other here.

But does the chi keratin mist count as protein. I also use the QP breakage serum when i saw severe breakage it calmed it but my hair wasn't growing at all so i discontinued. And thats for clearing up that deep conditioning mistake i was making I use to DC but i dont find the DPR11 in my beauty salon anymore i loved that stuff.

Thanks again missy.

Yes, but I hear that the CKM is a light protein, but it's protein none the less. I personally like to stay on the moisture side of things and do protein "treatments" occasionally as needed.

One of my favorite products is Mane 'n Tail original conditioner. It is moisture and protein in one bottle. I use it as a leave-in, as is straight out of the bottle, and as a base adding other stuff to do either a moisture/oil-laced weekly conditioner or a protein-laced deep conditioner.

How does your hair feel to the touch?

Yes, but I hear that the CKM is a light protein, but it's protein none the less. I personally like to stay on the moisture side of things and do protein "treatments" occasionally as needed.

One of my favorite products is Mane 'n Tail original conditioner. It is moisture and protein in one bottle. I use it as a leave-in, as is straight out of the bottle, and as a base adding other stuff to do either a moisture/oil-laced weekly conditioner or a protein-laced deep conditioner.

Its in the middle its not hard and its not silky smooth. Thats why i dont know if need moisture or protein.

there are various Chi Keratin Mist ingredients lists on the internet and in stores. Some no longer have keratin listed on the list.

Here is one list:
Rosewater, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Silk Amino Acids, Acetamide MEA and Lactamide MEA, Lauryl Pyrrolidone, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazoline and Methylisothiazolinone, Nettle, Chamomile Extract, Algae, Aloe Vera, Lavender Extract, Rosemary Extract, Parfum, FD&C Yellow 5, D&C Red 33, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Boron Nitride Powder.

another:
Water , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Quaternium-80 , Polysorbate 20 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Hydrolyzed Keratin , Panthenol , Phenoxyethanol , Caprylyl Glycol , Hexylene Glycol , Potassium Sorbate , Hydrolyzed Silk , Citric Acid , Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract , Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract , Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) , Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) , Salvia Sclarea (Clary) , Parfum (Fragrance) , Citronellol , Coumarin , Geraniol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Linalool , Silica , Alumina , Titanium Dioxide , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 40 (CI 16035)

and another:
Aqua/Water/Eau, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Silk Amino Acids, Acetamide Mea (And) Lactamide Mea, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, Lauryl Pyrrolidone, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone (And) Methylisothiazolinone, Nettle, Chamomile Extract, Algae, Aloe Vera, Lavender Extract, Rosemary Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), FD&C Yellow 5, D&C Red 33, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Boron Nitride Powder.

and yet another:
Aqua/Water/Eau, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Silk Amino Acids, Acetamide Mea (And) Lactamide Mea, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, Lauryl Pyrrolidone, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone (And) Methylisothiazolinone, Nettle, Chamomile Extract, Algae, Aloe Vera, Lavender Extract, Rosemary Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), FD&C Yellow 5, D&C Red 33, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Boron Nitride Powder. Aqua/Water/Eau, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Silk Amino Acids, Acetamide Mea (And) Lactamide Mea, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, Lauryl Pyrrolidone, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone (And) Methylisothiazolinone, Nettle, Chamomile Extract, Algae, Aloe Vera, Lavender Extract, Rosemary Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), FD&C Yellow 5, D&C Red 33, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Boron Nitride Powder.

Check your ingredients lists

Last edited:
Silk Amino Acid is a type of Silk protein but my Chi Keratin mist has different ingredients then that I also have Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein as well.

OP Yes please trim as needed. Check your ingredients on your products, if your getting breakage tweek it if not your hair growth might not be as fast, or your cutting faster then you can see the results.

ETA: I see you posted several recipes LOL I am the 3rd.

Last edited:
Healthier diet if possible - green smoothies into my diet - for the mornings with fruits and some sunflower seeds - works for me.

More exercise and more water drinking

Less shampooing, shampooing twice a month.

DC - alternating between protein and moisture DC.

I would finger comb the ends to prevent the shed hair from knotting and tying to the ends etc.

I'd use a creamy leave in, then seal..

step away from those type of shampoos. you need something more moisturizing or cowash and shampoo once a month.

you need a real dc, not a rinse out conditioner. one that is very thick and moisturizing

only use protein 4-8 weeks.

your hair just sounds like it is being robbed of moisture.

I agree with the suggestions to start using a real DC.

Also, I would suggest that you are possibly manipulating your hair too much. Although it may not seem like it, the nightly twisting and clamping of your hair may be too much manipulation for your strands.

You may want to consider wearing your hair in styles (at least sometimes) that allow you to avoid the daily manipulation.

HTH

Last edited:
Back