How to measure type 4 hair...

naturalgurl

I'm quite new here so please forgive me if this is being repeated. How do you measure nappy hair? Is my true length when it's flat ironed (or "stretched") or is the real length while it's shrunk? I say I have shoulder length hair and it's about maybe an inch past the shoulders. I haven't flat ironed or straightened it in months so I have no idea how long it is straightened. I stretched a few tresses last night to see how far it would go and it looks like I could claim a solid APL but only if it were straightened. So what is my true length?

I think it depends on you.

Some people measure it flat-ironed, some people measure it wet & hanging, some people measure with twists, some people measure with braids - I think the most important thing is to be consistent....

Thanks! I see lots took a look/see:spinning:. I'm on a no heat personal challenge. I haven't used heat since November and want to keep that up for as long as possible so I guess I'll go with the afro hair length...

I flat-iron once or twice a year and I measure at that time, other than that, I'll just take a piece and stretch it, then I'll hold a measuring tape up to the length to see how many inches it is.

Back