How to make the updo bun in my siggy.

Starian

A few people have asked me, so here are the instructions. It's really very easy. This was the first time I tried this style and I was very surprised at how well it turned out.

Things you'll need:
1.Rollers(I used my carusos to get the curls, but I think magnetic would be fine, too. Just make sure the rollers are small enough to create curls, and not loose waves.)
2.Long elastic headband (Like a regular elastic ponytail holder but the loonnnnnng ones. Not the wide bandanna like headbands.)
3.Bobbypins (I suppose the little hairpins are fine, but I use the long ones that people use on their rollers.)

How to:
1. Rollerset your hair. It doesn't have to be even, just make sure you use enough rollers to make curls, not a body wave. I used Caruso for this part and I slept in them overnight, which for all practical purposes is a big no-no because foam rollers are very drying. If you have Carusos, you can leave them in as long as it takes to make the curls. For magnetic roller users, I suggest you use a spray before you roll to make the curl last a bit longer. Maybe like a setting lotion.

2.After your hair is dry and the curls are formed, lightly run your hands through the roots, than put the long elastic headband on, being careful not to ruffle the curls too much.

3. Once the headband is placed take the curls and pin them upward randomly until you have an updo. Make sure to use enough bobby pins that all you hair is secured. You generally have to use quite a few because the curls aren't held up by anything except the pins.

4.Voila! Quick, easy, pretty updo.

See ya'll? I told you it was easy. :)

Thanks Starian. Whenever you have time, would you mind adding a pic of the head band you use. Also, the next time you do this updo, can you take a pic of the front. Or maybe you can just explain. Do you see the head band in the front? Thanks so much!

Sure, here ya go. This is headband that I use. They're relatively cheap...like 2 bucks for a pack of 5 or something like that. Just like an elastic ponytail holder, but looonnnger. :P
http://public.fotki.com/Starian2003/products/picture_124.html
And yeah, you can see the headband in the front, but it doesn't...hm, how do you word it...jump out at you because it's so thin and plain. They sell the kind with like jewels or other embellishments on it if you want a bit more decoration. But they come in all colors.

The front looks like your hair is pulled back, but you can tell you have an updo. The next time I try this style, I'll be sure to take a pic of the front.:)

imani97 said:
Thanks Starian. Whenever you have time, would you mind adding a pic of the head band you use. Also, the next time you do this updo, can you take a pic of the front. Or maybe you can just explain. Do you see the head band in the front? Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Thanks Starian! Its so pretty and feminine. I can't wait to try it. I'm hair styling challenged but you made this simple.

Starian said:
Sure, here ya go. This is headband that I use. They're relatively cheap...like 2 bucks for a pack of 5 or something like that. Just like an elastic ponytail holder, but looonnnger. :P
http://public.fotki.com/Starian2003/products/picture_124.html
And yeah, you can see the headband in the front, but it doesn't...hm, how do you word it...jump out at you because it's so thin and plain. They sell the kind with like jewels or other embellishments on it if you want a bit more decoration. But they come in all colors.

The front looks like your hair is pulled back, but you can tell you have an updo. The next time I try this style, I'll be sure to take a pic of the front.:)

Thank you so much! I hope to work on this 'do so that I can go back to protective styling. Heck, if I can even get my buns to look like yours I'd be happy! :lol:

Thanks Starian. That's a bit like how I did the bantu knot updo in my album. Only I slept in bantu knots and I didn't use a long elastic.

Thanks Starian. Now are you using any pins to keep the head band from rolling backwards...b/c it looks like you have it pretty far back on you head...hope that make sense..Maybe I need a looser band then the one I currently have. I def want to try this b/c it will give me the illusion of fuller hair :-)

senimoni said:
Thanks Starian. Now are you using any pins to keep the head band from rolling backwards...b/c it looks like you have it pretty far back on you head...hope that make sense..Maybe I need a looser band then the one I currently have. I def want to try this b/c it will give me the illusion of fuller hair :-)

No, the headband isn't secured by any pins. I probably shouldve though, it tends to slide back. That's prolly what you're seeing, :lol: .

Back