How to keep braids in?

inthestars

How long can I keep braids? It's taken me so long to do these that I don't want to have to do them again for three months or so.

Yep, after 2 months you might get excess buildup and knotting at the root when you take them out. An alternative might be starting to redo sections after 6 weeks, since you do it yourself, and gradually redoing your head over a couple weeks.

I've kept my braids/kinky twist in as long as 6 months with no problems. You should get your edges touched-up (redone) every few weeks and rinse your hair and scalp every other day to avoid build up. You should wash with a mild shampoo to avoid build up once per week. Don't scrub - this will make the braids look frizzy. You should also where a satin bonet or scarf EVERY NIGHT.

You may not want to go 6 months if your hair grows fast- the braids will end up looking kinda tacky - but you could certainly stretch it to 3-4 months.

I've kept my braids/kinky twist in as long as 6 months with no problems. You should get your edges touched-up (redone) every few weeks and rinse your hair and scalp every other day to avoid build up. You should wash with a mild shampoo to avoid build up once per week. Don't scrub - this will make the braids look frizzy. You should also where a satin bonet or scarf EVERY NIGHT.

You may not want to go 6 months if your hair grows fast- the braids will end up looking kinda tacky - but you could certainly stretch it to 3-4 months.

I had my braids done the 1st week of December and I still have them in. I retouched the edges myself for fear of product build-up. I did the retouch around 9 weeks. However, I don't put much stuff on my braids. I'll admit, that I'm not so good at washing once per week in the winter b/c they take entirely toooo long to dry. I plan on getting my hair rebraided around March 17 or so b4 I go to Paris, just so that it's still pretty new.

Back