How to help my mum....

fairyhairy

Ok Ladies need some tips on how to help my mum improve her hair without coming over all sanctimonious - little things that she can easily incorporate into her daily routine that won't be a chore.

She has relaxed hair which is breaking at the edges and ends that are rapidly thinning. She also has a lot of grey which she dyes regularly with Bigen:ohwell:

At her age she can't be bothered and its such a shame. She hates having braids done but does wear a wig but doesn't take care of them.

I would love to help her improve her hair health without her feeling pressured

any help would be most appreciated :yep:

Moisture is quite a good start, how is she with moisturising her hair? If her hair is not getting enough moisture it will simply break off and won't retain. Perhaps offer to rub some castor oil into her edges and apply some moisturiser to her hair. Although I appreciate you won't be around to do it all the time, but perhaps when she sees how better her hair looks and feels it will give her some encouragement to do it herself.

You could get her one of those spray moisturisers which are no effort to use at all really, but will hopefully keep the hair hydrated.

Then you can move onto things like DC's

Perhaps offer to rub some castor oil into her edges and apply some moisturiser to her hair.
You could get her one of those spray moisturisers which are no effort to use at all really, but will hopefully keep the hair hydrated.

Then you can move onto things like DC's

that's actually a really good idea - she works all the time really early till about 10pm so we hardly see each other - i think head massages with castor when she gets in could be a good start.

I have gone natural and do all manner of things to my hair that she just wouldn't have the patience for :look:

what would be a good spray moisturiser?

Regular hot oil treatments when she washes her hair would help her hair retain
moisture. I've been oil rinsing and my hair feels stronger, softer.

Here is the thread about it: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...-discussion/150965-dont-sleep-oil-rinses.html

All she would have to do is add one step to her hair washing routine.

I'm natural and I use EVOO. It may be too heavy an oil for relaxed hair but there are
plenty of relaxed heads in the thread using lighter oil.

I know how you feel. My mom has issues with her hair mostly due to medications, I
believe. I feel bad sometimes for having healthier, thicker hair and not being able to
help her with hers.

Good luck.. You're a good daughter :yep:

that's actually a really good idea - she works all the time really early till about 10pm so we hardly see each other - i think head massages with castor when she gets in could be a good start.

I have gone natural and do all manner of things to my hair that she just wouldn't have the patience for :look:

what would be a good spray moisturiser?

Taliah Waajid protective mist bodyfier is supposed to be good, although admittedly I've never used it.
There are of raves about S Curl on this board, as it keeps the whole strand nicely moisturised for long periods.
I quite like Ojon Revitalising Mist, it's fairly light so it doesn't weigh the hair down, but it keeps my hair nicely moisturised. Its great when I'm wearing buns, I just spray my hair a couple of times in the day and my hair is always soft when I take the bun down. However it's expensive, and it doesn't last long. :nono:

^^^^ Yes, Cream Tee is right about S Curl. I have found that it works best when
sealed with an oil. Again, she's relaxed so it would have to be a light oil so her hair
won't be weighed down.

S Curl No Drip Activator Moisturizer.

Thanks ladies
Keep the responses coming, if I could get her into a weekly regime that would be most beneficial - Kiki don't feel bad but know what you mean you get to point in your life where you want to protect and look after your parents :\

Scalp massages sound GREAT. It would help her relax, stimulate growth and give some bonding time:) I use 1/2 aloe vera gel 1/2 oil with a light emulsifier. The aloe vera gel moisturizes the scalp and reduces the oiliness of the concoction. I wish I was closer to my mom to help her even more.

For example
3oz AVG
3oz OIL (JBCO or Jojoba)
0.2-0.3oz Emulsifying wax (actually it isnt wax it is a combination of fatty alcohols: cetyl alcohol and stearyl alcohol)

Exactly! (dontchu make me cry)
:bighug:

it's only naturally honestly - the times i've cried over my family sometimes you want to walk away but stay strong we need them as much as they need us

tonight i'm going to sit her down and give her a nice scalp massage for sure :)

Awww, I bet she'll enjoy that. With the work hours she keeps, she just might fall
asleep on you. It's very relaxing. Just don't want you to be upset if you're not able
to do a thorough job :yep:

lol will manage what i can... baby steps for now if I can convince her to let me do her hair weekly then at least it's a start

I am having the same issues with my mother. Her hair is rather thin and damaged. Everytime I visit home, I try to leave my mom little bottles or samples of products I use and slowly but surely she uses them. I started working her on skin, encouraging her to use witch hazel as a toner (she has adult acne). It has dramatically changed her skin! I also just left her little spray bottles of S-curl and turned down the temperature on her flat iron. I think small changes work well with time.

I think also seeing a healthy head full of hair also encourges them to be more open to your suggestions. It shows you are obviously doing something right. Also the little things truly matter (like the scalp massage). I color her greys when I am home and she appreciates it :)

This is such a sweet thread! Good luck! keep those tips coming! :)

Back