How To Get My Twists To Hang Straight?

Determined22

I've been twisting for a while, and they are getting longer, but they don't hang straight. The twists coil up :ohwell:

My twist routine: I deep condition, wash & condition again all in 8 sections to prevent shrinkage. I apply Qhemet's Detangling Ghee & then blow-dry on low heat until about 80-90% dry. Then I twist & wear the twists for several days before I take them down for a twistout.

I tried banding my twists but that doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get my twists to not coil or am I going to have to just live with it?

i think you may have to live with it. in my experience, the way your twists hang depends on your hair texture and thickness.

based on your explanation, it seems that your hair is mostly dry when you are twisting. when your hair is twisted while completely dry, there offers more potential for your twists to lay/hang straight.

also, twisting your hair with "wet" products can result in twists curling up.

i twist with oil when i want to give my hair the most opportunity to hang straight after twisting.

Yeah, thats my question too. I thought my hair just wasnt quite long enough to get that hang time i'm looking for, oh well.

i had the same problem and then I tried coiling the hair on itself whilst twisting, it really really helps. You twist each strand backwards before twisting it round if you know what i mean

My twists took my shape of my hair..they spiralled right up..I thought it was because the twists weren't tight enough..

I think my terms are a little off here, but I'm gonna pipe in anyway lol. My main style is a twist out. However, I do two-strand flat twists. Basically cornrows, only separating the hair in two sections instead of three so they "twist" together. I let my hair dry about 85-90%, then I apply my leave in and oil then go ahead and do 5 two-strand flat twists. On the end I put a magnetic roller and let it dry over night and untwist in the morning. It just looks like I have naturally beach wavy hair! I hope that helps.

For me I wet my hair in the shower and ran some KCCC through my hair. The water weighs down the hair and the KCCC sets the twists that way so they don't frizz. I did this every morning
Here it is on 3 different sets of twists
IMG_0737-vi.jpg

IMG_0796-vi.jpg

IMG_0811-vi.jpg

^^I sorta do the same. Only I twist on dry and then immediately CW and then I let my twists drip-dry. The weight of the water makes them hang straight. Once completely dry, I spray the ends with S Curl (my new venture of trying to take better care of my ends. For the last 7 years, I have just worn bare hair when in twists. I will be back with some pics of the difference CWing then drip-drying makes.

BTW, I have fine 4B hair with hardly any weight. CWing causes shrinkage, which I don't mind at all because it seems to compact my hair and give it weight so it hangs and returns to place if I move my head.

TwistsBeforeandAfter-vi.jpg

When my hair was shorter, the drip dry would still give me hang-time:

Twistsshrunkenafterawash-vi.jpg

Here's a close-up:

My4ABPenSprings-vi.jpg

This is a more recent pic of my hair drip drying:

Dripdryingtwists-vi.jpg

I don't have a recent photo of the hair dry after the previous pic because my hair is at an awkward length so I usually put it up, but here is an old pic of my dry twists after drip-drying. I wasn't using any product in my hair during this time so this is my bare hair:

TwistsSeptember42008-vi.jpg

Seriously shrinkage isn't the debil. Methinks it makes twists actually look nicer.

Last edited:
Back