How to fight humidity?????

Leslie_C

So I finally did a successful rollerset and wrap. It came out so nice looking. I washed w/ Nexxus Therappe and Conditioned w/ Keracare Humecto(in the tub....Im now in love w/ this stuff). Then I used a small amount of Salerm all over and then a handful of Elasta QP foaming setting lotion all over. Then I rollerset using large and medium rollers, spraying each section w/ water bc it was drying already.

Well I was very pleased w/ the results after I sat under the dryer for an hour and then wrapped and applied a little IC Hair Polish. My hair was very soft with a nice sheen and it had body and movement. Well that lasted for all of 10 minutes when I woke up this morning because all I did was take the dog outside to go pee, and when I came back in my hair looked limp and flat w/out any bend/wave to the ends left at all!!! argggghhhh!!!!!!

I live in FL so its very humid here, plus it was damp out bc it rained all last night. But I need a way to help my hair hold up to the humidity. I worked so hard to make it look nice and the minute it hits the humidity its over! Id hate to see what it looks like after working out if all I did was walk outside and that ruined it! Please help! I need something to make it hold and to fight frizz.....

Should I be using more setting lotion (I want my hair to still be touchable soft,not hard)? use the hair polish on wet hair too??? what would help my hairstyle hold up???

We need to best friend on the real. I tried to be cute on campus today and wear my hair down straight. I gave it five minutes before I had a a straight fluff and puff.

Giving you a hug

I feel your pain on the humidity thing. The only way I have been able to stop the frizziness and poof my hair goes through is to use marcel curl wax for my roller set. Others I know have recommended an anti-humectant, I have not tried it yet but plan to.

I live in Atlanta and the only way I know to really win the humidity battle (aside from using 'cones) is to wear protective styles or cover-up. When I'm trying to perserve my style, especially if it's "fresh" I either bun up to keep ends from frizzing, or I wear a scarf to block the moisture.

cincybrownsugar said:
I feel your pain on the humidity thing. The only way I have been able to stop the frizziness and poof my hair goes through is to use marcel curl wax for my roller set. Others I know have recommended an anti-humectant, I have not tried it yet but plan to.

cincy, do you use the curlwax once the hair is dried and set?

I was in Florida in Feb. and had pressed my hair on a cool. humid day. It held together pretty well but I used products with a lot of silicone in them. I used a creme straightener, a serum plus I used Aveda Anti-humectant when I was done pressing. I think the Aveda helped a lot. I'm looking forward to going down there in the summer, I'm really gonna put this stuff to the test...lol.

bajanplums1 said:
cincy, do you use the curlwax once the hair is dried and set?

Bajan, I add it to my hair before rolling it. I usually apply my leave in all over, and then as I roll my hair I apply the curl wax. One time I was in a hurry and I only applied my leave in, it was not pretty. I got to my destination thinking my hair looked fine and then I went into the bathroom and saw it :eek: All night I was puzzled about why my hair had frizzed up, and then it hit me, I forgot my curl wax. Never made that mistake again.

nurseN98 said:
I was in Florida in Feb. and had pressed my hair on a cool. humid day. It held together pretty well but I used products with a lot of silicone in them. I used a creme straightener, a serum plus I used Aveda Anti-humectant when I was done pressing. I think the Aveda helped a lot. I'm looking forward to going down there in the summer, I'm really gonna put this stuff to the test...lol.

Well the funny thing is when Ive gotten my hair done at the salon (flat ironed w/ marcel iron and wrapped and she used keracare silk n seal)...it lasted for a full week if I wrapped it at night. I think the intense heat really sealed the cuticle to where it didnt puff out. It looked really good. But Im trying not to use a lot of direct heat so I wanted to start rollersetting and wrapping only and skipping the flat ironing. It doesnt get as sleek looking but I like it bc it has more body and its less damaging. the only thing is trying to figure out how to keep it from frizzing and puffing up and falling flat when I go outside.

Spring is a great time to review this important topic - thanks Leslie C! :up:

I too feel your pain. This has happened to me too many times in the past. What has been working so far, is to apply some Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade to my hair after applying the leave-in. Then I do a rollerset. The Aveda seals in the moisture but doesn't allow as much outside moisture to effect the hair. I apply a little more after my hair is styled. It isn't 100% but it does work. The trick is to apply while hair is wet, after the leave-in as I mentioned, then again after hair is dry and styled.

I have had success doing a rollerset in this way, then braiding my hair for a braidout - that way if some humidity does happen, my braidout works with the weather. I had to travel not long ago, to several humid states and my braidout held up for 5 days, without much reverting (got compliments too). I made sure I had my umbrella and satin scarf - also very important.

I've used this Aveda product before I found LHCF on my already dried (blowdried) and heat styled hair, got on a plane to a very humid location and got off the plane with a cute afro! I didn't even know it until I went to the restroom at the airport! :lol: BTW, I wore that afro for a week on my vacation and got compliments on it! So I'm saying, the Aveda Anti-Humectant works best for me to seal in the wet, moisturized hair (use after any other oils may use), and again after my hair is dry and styled. Daily applications after that.

Last edited:
cincybrownsugar said:
Bajan, I add it to my hair before rolling it. I usually apply my leave in all over, and then as I roll my hair I apply the curl wax. One time I was in a hurry and I only applied my leave in, it was not pretty. I got to my destination thinking my hair looked fine and then I went into the bathroom and saw it :eek: All night I was puzzled about why my hair had frizzed up, and then it hit me, I forgot my curl wax. Never made that mistake again.
Maybe I'll try this curl wax. Does Sally's carry it?

Isis said:
Maybe I'll try this curl wax. Does Sally's carry it?

yeah me too, Aveda is a little out of my budget right now! but when I graduate and get my nursing license in the fall its all good! lol :)

Im thinking maybe dudleys creme press may be similar? Do u know any other cheaper alternatives? didnt someone once mention a generic antiumectant pomade that is comparable?

Also, about how much product do u apply to your hair while wet and then when dry?

cincybrownsugar said:

Thanks! The elastaqp curl wax worked wonders for me when i used a curling iron, but i will try this method. I guess the heat from the hood dryer should do it right??

I am so very glad I found this thread.

Just got back from Miami... my first time setting foot out of the midwest (where there is little to NO humidity) and my poor strands were hollerin' the entire time! :( And what's more..I knew once I hopped my behind in that water it was oh-vee (as in OVER!).

Is there such a thing as bone straight in Miami? I'm transferring there in a few months and I am dying for some info. I hear ceramic irons make a difference.. any truth to that?

Leslie_C said:
yeah me too, Aveda is a little out of my budget right now! but when I graduate and get my nursing license in the fall its all good! lol :)

Im thinking maybe dudleys creme press may be similar? Do u know any other cheaper alternatives? didnt someone once mention a generic antiumectant pomade that is comparable?

Also, about how much product do u apply to your hair while wet and then when dry?

If you're asking about Aveda, I don't put too much on my wet hair, just enough to seal in the moisture. Too much seems to weigh it down and I want to keep my hair swinging. When dry, I use a little also on each section of my hair, rubbing some between my hands and running them through my hair.

The only thing that helped me from frizz and reversion was that Matrix Sleek.look Iron smoother. But it is loaded with alcohol. I hear Paul Mitchell has a similar product but again alcohol city. I think a thick serum might help.

Erika Kane said:

Is there such a thing as bone straight in Miami? I'm transferring there in a few months and I am dying for some info. I hear ceramic irons make a difference.. any truth to that?

Sure, as in a bone straight WEAVE!! :lol:
I'm from Miami & no matter what I did I got frizz...
If you find out the secret that was held from me for all those years, please share!!

I use John Frieda anti-humectant spray from the Friss-Ease line.
This spray works very well. Letting my hair down on a rainy day is no longer an issue for me. My hair stays silky and soft all day.. minus the frizz. No wonder why this product is said to be purchased every 16 seconds in the England.. It also works as a holding spray for long lasting curls or sleek look. A must have.
HTH.

blakalycious said:
I use John Frieda anti-humectant spray from the Friss-Ease line.
This spray works very well. Letting my hair down on a rainy day is no longer an issue for me. My hair stays silky and soft all day.. minus the frizz. No wonder why this product is said to be purchased every 16 seconds in the England.. It also works as a holding spray for long lasting curls or sleek look. A must have.
HTH.
This sounds good blakalycious. Thanks for the tip. :up:

Ashee said:
Sure, as in a bone straight WEAVE!! :lol:
I'm from Miami & no matter what I did I got frizz...
If you find out the secret that was held from me for all those years, please share!!

Girl, I am DETERMINED! I got entirely too much hair to go with the wash-n-go!!

Erika Kane said:
Girl, I am DETERMINED! I got entirely too much hair to go with the wash-n-go!!

How about the bantu knots at night with lots of moisture & then letting the loose when ready to go outside... Moisturize the ends & embrace the curls! :)
Other than that I say give the John Frieda Anti-Humectant a try...
Or the Maxiglide or Chi irons...
They are supposed to be known for locking in the moisture also with heat... :look:
I'm going to pick up the JFAH today & try it out...

How does humidity affects our hair???

Water is a natural component in the chemical makeup of hair. Some is
actually boned within the hair protein and some is simply absorbed by the
hair. Ordinarily, elevated humidity causes the hair shaft to swell. In dry
conditions, it shrinks. When subjected to very dry conditions -- low
humidity and/or excessive blow-drying -- the hair can lose water essential
to its structural strength. The result is brittle hair and the "frizzies."

Here's an article entitled "Humidity-Proof Your Hair":

Spring showers bring spring flowers -- and bad hair days! Seasonal rains and temperature changes can cause humidity to rise, which means frizz and flatness for most women's hair. But you can beat the humidity! Here's how:

If humidity makes your hair flat...
First, switch to a shampoo and conditioner made for fine hair. They won't leave a heavy residue, which can weigh hair down when made damp from the moisture in the air. Next, find a spray-on volumizer. Apply to damp roots, and blow dry with your head flipped upside down to maximize lift at the roots. Next, apply your usual styling product (try mousse, which gives hold but is light), and style as you normally would. Finish by applying a mist of flexible-hold hairspray.

Mid-Day Fix: If your hair goes lank halfway through the day, apply a bit of hairspray to the roots. Hold hair up straight with a brush while the spray dries. Then gently brush off your face and slip on a headband.

If humidity makes your hair frizzy...
Begin by applying a dropperful of silicone hair serum to soaking wet hair. Use more if your hair is long or thick. Next, blot hair with a towel to remove excess moisture (Don't rub!). Now apply a smoothing balm or strong-hold gel to strands from roots to ends. Comb through. Style as you normally would. When hair is dry, rub a bit of smoothing hair cream over ends and other areas that tend to frizz.

Mid-Day Fix: When your hair fuzzes up during the day, smooth a little hand lotion over the frizzy areas. Go sparingly, or you'll wind up with a greasy look. --Lisa Kovalovich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HOPE THAT HELPS!!! ;)

Poohbear said:
How does humidity affects our hair???
Mid-Day Fix: When your hair fuzzes up during the day, smooth a little hand lotion over the frizzy areas. Go sparingly, or you'll wind up with a greasy look. --Lisa Kovalovich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HOPE THAT HELPS!!! ;)

Hand lotion?? As in the type for your hands? In your hair?? :eek:

Poohbear said:
I thought that was weird too. Maybe hair lotion would be the substitute for that. ;)

Aww man... Maybe I should try this out on a wig with human hair first... :lol:

Back