How to do highlights on natural hair at home??

Marceline

Hi everyone! I have hair that's shoulder length at its longest layer when straightened, which ends up being a smallish fro in its natural state. I would like to start wearing my fro at work again, but I feel like it needs some color.

I'd like to do a dark brown with light brown highlights, but I don't know the best way to do this. Should I apply the color while my hair is straightened? Or should I do it on my shrunken hair? I don't know whether to highlight individual clumps, or what.

Also, does anyone have pictures of their highlighted hair to share? I'd like to do this tomorrow, so any advice is greatly appreciated!!

leslieerin82 said:
Hi everyone! I have hair that's shoulder length at its longest layer when straightened, which ends up being a smallish fro in its natural state. I would like to start wearing my fro at work again, but I feel like it needs some color.

I'd like to do a dark brown with light brown highlights, but I don't know the best way to do this. Should I apply the color while my hair is straightened? Or should I do it on my shrunken hair? I don't know whether to highlight individual clumps, or what.

Also, does anyone have pictures of their highlighted hair to share? I'd like to do this tomorrow, so any advice is greatly appreciated!!

leslieerin82

I don't have highlights but i dyed my hair auburn in different spots all over my head in random spots. In its natural state. I didn't feel like the color came out do i went over it in another color and I have up. Still didn't come out to me and this is how it looks today.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Attachments

• image-504882768.jpg
    image-504882768.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1089093770.jpg
    image-1089093770.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Wow that's really pretty! I can't wait til I can get it in a high ponytail. I think that's the look I'm going for, dying it in clumps. I don't know how it would come out looking if I do it while straightened.

Thanks pookaloo83 !

leslieerin82 said:
Wow that's really pretty! I can't wait til I can get it in a high ponytail. I think that's the look I'm going for, dying it in clumps. I don't know how it would come out looking if I do it while straightened.

Thanks pookalo83!

leslieerin82 this is my haut straightened. I really can't see the color at all. Well just a tad.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Attachments

• image-2669333451.jpg
    image-2669333451.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2220143059.jpg
    image-2220143059.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 51
pookaloo83, I can see the color more in the first straight picture, but what I really like is how the color seems to have made your curls pop a bit more. That's the effect I'm going for. And if it looks nice straight too, that'll just be a bonus! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Back