How to Combat the DRYNESS!!!!

Lucky's Mom

Hello ladies!
I hope this helps someone.

I have noticed that many of us try to finds natural alternatives to moisturize our locks....

I just wanted to let you know that I have tried many products and often wondered "why does my hair feel DRIER?" - and I have noticed this most immediatetly after my switch to organic - or pure products........ I don't really use commercial products - so I find this immediate response is actually helpful...........

1. Aloe vera Gel..... some ladies have complained that Aloe vera gel is drying..... most times, it is not - if it is PURE.

Most of the Aloe Gels out there contain the following drying ingredient:

Diethanolamine (DEA), Triethanolamine (TEA) — Often used in cosmetics as emulsifiers and/or foaming agents. They can cause allergic reactions, eye irritation and dryness of hair and skin. DEA and TEA are "amines" (ammonia compounds) and can form cancer-causing nitrosamines when they come in contact with nitrates. Toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time.

I found that FOTE (Fruit of the Earth)100% Aloe Vera Gel did leave my hair dry (I used this about a year ago, to twist my hair, when my hubby and I went away for the weekend) - here are the ingredients:
Aloe Vera Gel, Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer 940, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea

AHH-HAA! not 100%!! What we thought was helpful - could be our reasons for snarls and snaps!!! TEA is the 2nd ingredient.....Remember, the 1st five ingredients do matter in many formulations!

ALTERNATIVES???
Try pure aloe vera juice or gel - you can find that in Whole food or herbal stores. you can also purchase pure Aloe for www.fromnaturewithlove.com aloe vera, not the ALOE moist GEL....

I only use PURE aloe vera in all of my homemade stuff..... - and citric acid ( preserved )it is full of what is really good four our hair and what the High priced stuff has. It stays in the fridge - like most of my stuff ......

Many other gels, and products contain TEA, like Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel with Sparkle Lites:

Purified Water Aqua , Glycerin , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , Aloe Vera Gel , Dimethicone Copolyol , Tocopherol Acetate , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Polysorbate-20 , Benzopehonoe-4 , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Disodiium EDTA , Fragrance

This is the 4th ingredient, and possibly the dryness could be Combatted with other oils, but I am not sure......

I am sharing all of this to say - Sometimes - you might be doing more harm than good.... So read your labels!!!!

Lastly - I know that many of us are too busy to make stuff in our kitchens, and constantly read labels, but I think this aggressive research can help us get to GREAT healthy hair lengths!!!

This is very helpful, thank you. I just ordered from Walgreens Smooth 'N Shine Polishing Curl Activator Gel, for Extra Dry Hair, it has Triethanolamine in it but it's far down the list.
Water Aqua , Glycerin , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hyaluronic Acid , Panthenol , Oleth-20 , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , Benzophenone-4 , Disodiium EDTA , DMDM Hydantoin , Fragrance Parfum , Ext. Violet 2 CI 60730

Thanks for this information! I've used aloe vera gel a few times and didn't like the way it made my hair feel. I'm going to try pure aloe vera juice, and hopefully I'll see a difference.

Samantha,

You recommended this to me sometime ago and I have had tremendous moisturizing results with all natural aloe vera. There is a big difference between it and the "other" stuff.

Back