How to avoid hairloss from quitting birth control?

Crystal22

I am currently on Aviane birth control (levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol 0.10 mg/0.02mg) This was also the birth control i used before i had my ds. My hair seems to be thinning in the back of my head. I didn't seem to experience severe postpartum shedding so i dont think it's been caused by that as this thinning seems to have been very gradual. It looks like the hair there is very fragile/miniature hairs vs. the crown and sides of my hair are much thicker. I think it's from the birth control but I previously had no problems with thinning hair taking this pill before I had my ds.

BUT I had significant hair loss when I stopped this pill for 6 months when my husband and I were first thinking of having a baby. I found out through research it was teleogen effuvium. I ended up going back on it for a few months to see if it would stop. It stalled the hair loss but I went back off and got pregnant within a few months and did sew ins the duration of my pregnancy. My hair grew back thicker. (Probably due to the pregnancy itself).

I say all this to say I'm at a point where my hair is "OK", aside from the thinning in the back middle area of my head. I would like to once again stop birth control to maybe try to conceive later this fall without losing all my hair again from coming off the birth control. I know it's the sudden drop in estrogen that causes this hair loss but i really can't afford to lose hair like i did the first time this happened to me.*(I really couldn't afford it then either but my hair was overall thicker and longer then it is now).

is there anything i can do to buffer the sudden drop in estrogen I'm about to experience from stopping this pill? I would also like to know what I should do to get my hormones regulated and working on their own again to get prepared for pregnancy by maybe October/November.

I am SO Sorry this post is so long and indepth. I've been doing alot of research and reading alot but I really unsure about just doing things on my own.....as i see the hormones are nothing to play with. Thanks so much for reading this

Get some Msm and try not to stress about it, because that will make it worse. I have had 4 kids so I know how hormones can affect shedding. I thought I was going to be bald after I had my oldest. I ended up taking garlic pills and using nioxin follicle boost on the thinned out spots. Within weeks my hair was back. I stopped using the follicle boost once I got new growth, because it was drying

Hi, I agree with the previous poster about reducing your stress level. Some of your questions should be directed to your OB/gyn about your hormonal imbalance.

Some things you can do to buffer the amount of hair loss you may experience is to make sure you're eating a healthy diet; plenty of fruits and veggies. Drink plenty of water and exercise. Do regular protein treatments and maintain a protein/ moisture balance. Take a MVI daily and check your iron levels. You may also need an iron supplement if your iron levels are low. Garlic supplements, JBCO, tea rinses, Ayurveda treatments , and PS can also deter some hair loss.

How old is your ds? If he's < 1yo , you still may be going through post-partum shedding. It can take up to year to get your hair back on track. Trust me, I'm a mother of 4 children as well and it can take some time to nurse your hair back to pre-pregnancy state.

Sending baby {{{vibes}}} your way :)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I'll be watching this thread closely I've been experiencing shedding with using depo which I've been on for almost a year and the left side of my hair is thinning out...bc of my high blood pressure I can only use progesterone based birth controls and I think that's the culprit

Back