how soon can i get corrective color

bellezanegra826

hello all. today i decided that i wanted to dye my hair brown. i used l'oreal hi color for dark hair to try to take my hair from black to coolest brown. wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll guess what? its still black, with the red streaks that were in it before. Now i know that i can't get the color i want at home so how soon can i go to a salon and get corrective color? I know that after a perm you are supposed to wait at least two weeks to do color but is there a specific time after color that you are supposed to wait? also is there a such thing as too many protein treatments if you are using serious moisturizers? I just did an aphogee protein treatment last night and i was thinking that i would do another treatment between now and my corrective color. is it possible that my hair is cursed to stay this gosh awful color? do any of you have a difficult time taking your 1b hair to a light brown?

hello all. today i decided that i wanted to dye my hair brown. i used l'oreal hi color for dark hair to try to take my hair from black to coolest brown. wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll guess what? its still black, with the red streaks that were in it before. Now i know that i can't get the color i want at home so how soon can i go to a salon and get corrective color? I know that after a perm you are supposed to wait at least two weeks to do color but is there a specific time after color that you are supposed to wait? also is there a such thing as too many protein treatments if you are using serious moisturizers? I just did an aphogee protein treatment last night and i was thinking that i would do another treatment between now and my corrective color. is it possible that my hair is cursed to stay this gosh awful color? do any of you have a difficult time taking your 1b hair to a light brown?

Yeah there is such thing as too much even if you use a moisturizing balancing conditioner afterwards. The only time frequent use is reccomended is when your hair is shedding uncontrollably usually due to overprocessing.

Just keep your hair moisturized and keep it as healthy as possible.

You won't have a difficult time its just that its a light damage. If possible could you please show me the brown you are trying to achieve. Do you already have some color in your hair b/c you said you have red streaks. If you have any kind of color in your hair its (depending on how dark the color is) you can't go lighter unless you bleach it sometimes we say decolorize to make the customer feel more at ease.

Its really hard for people with dark hair like you and myself to get to a significantly lighter shade w/o a high lift color or bleaching and toning.
Honestly what I would reccomend is to try ligth to medium highlights. YOu don't have to color your whole head that color to get the effect. If you don't feel its enough ask for more highlights.

In my personal opinion when you're going from light to dark I would first start with highlights. There is a lot of damage even if your hair is in good condition and its better to do just a few pieces as opposed to the whole head.

If you go to a salon make sure you have referrals from satisfied customers. When it comes to color or any other high revenue service people will pretend they know what they are doing even if they dont and SOME that do know what they are doing will perform the service to benefit their wallet even if its not in your best interest.

Yeah there is such thing as too much even if you use a moisturizing balancing conditioner afterwards. The only time frequent use is reccomended is when your hair is shedding uncontrollably usually due to overprocessing.

Just keep your hair moisturized and keep it as healthy as possible.

You won't have a difficult time its just that its a light damage. If possible could you please show me the brown you are trying to achieve. Do you already have some color in your hair b/c you said you have red streaks. If you have any kind of color in your hair its (depending on how dark the color is) you can't go lighter unless you bleach it sometimes we say decolorize to make the customer feel more at ease.

Its really hard for people with dark hair like you and myself to get to a significantly lighter shade w/o a high lift color or bleaching and toning.
Honestly what I would reccomend is to try ligth to medium highlights. YOu don't have to color your whole head that color to get the effect. If you don't feel its enough ask for more highlights.

In my personal opinion when you're going from light to dark I would first start with highlights. There is a lot of damage even if your hair is in good condition and its better to do just a few pieces as opposed to the whole head.

If you go to a salon make sure you have referrals from satisfied customers. When it comes to color or any other high revenue service people will pretend they know what they are doing even if they dont and SOME that do know what they are doing will perform the service to benefit their wallet even if its not in your best interest.

thank you for the detailed response. The name of the color i was going for was l'oreal hicolor coolest brown. My roots, which have no color or perm did lift but it seemed as though the rest of my hair just grabbed color instead of lost it. i tried the hilight thing before but they used bleach and i had some serious breakage as in almost all of the hilights broke off. i was told to get the hilights to lighten my hair instead of trying to lighten all of my hair. i guess if highlights didn't work the first time then i'll never have the color i want b/c i know what bleach will do to my hair. i guess this is a dumb question but is there such a thing as light bleach? is it possible that the bleach they used was too strong or was left on for too long? do you have to use bleach to make hilights?

thank you for the detailed response. The name of the color i was going for was l'oreal hicolor coolest brown. My roots, which have no color or perm did lift but it seemed as though the rest of my hair just grabbed color instead of lost it. i tried the hilight thing before but they used bleach and i had some serious breakage as in almost all of the hilights broke off. i was told to get the hilights to lighten my hair instead of trying to lighten all of my hair. i guess if highlights didn't work the first time then i'll never have the color i want b/c i know what bleach will do to my hair. i guess this is a dumb question but is there such a thing as light bleach? is it possible that the bleach they used was too strong or was left on for too long? do you have to use bleach to make hilights?

It might be that the preson didn't know what they were doing. Make sure you get good referals or go to a salon that is color only. Just get an in depth consultation and be honest even if it means they won't do your color. Tell them all the chemicals you've had on and bring the box color so they can see. Trust me if you had problems with it breaking with just the highlights imagine if it had been your whole head.

You have hot roots right? Which basically means the hair at your root is lighter than the rest of your hair.

yes you can control how fast the bleach lifts by using different volume of developer 10,20,30, and 40 volume. 10 works slowest which in my opinion is best just to make sure it doesn't over process 40 volume will make it work the fastest ususally only good if you are doing cap highlights b/c you are putting bleach on all the hair at the same time instead of with highlights where the bleach sits longer where you first put it. From 10 to 40 it just gets faster.

You can highlight with either color or bleach either way when you're going from a level 1 or 2 darkest brown. The only thing is when you use color and your hair is that dark you can only go about 3 shades lighter. If you want to go even lighter you HAVE to use bleach and then tone it with a semi-permanent color. If you have relaxer in your hair you have to be especially careful. Its ususally not reccomended to use bleach on relaxed hair but some do anyways some with good results (if the stylist is very careful) and some with bad if it overprocesses and or the client's hair wasn't in the best condition here is the section on relaxed hair.

But Like I said I think you can probably achieve the color with a 30 or 40 volume developer and a color that is just a tad bit lighter than what you want since your hair is dark. And when you use 10,20,30,40 volume developer with COLOR it DOES NOT work the same as with bleach. The volume when using color depends on how many LEVELS you want to ligthen 10= 1 20=2 30=3 40=4 if your hair is a natural level 4 or lighter. But if you hair is level 1,2,3 10 wont' do a thing 20=1 level 30=2 40=3

Can you show me on here. .
http://www.clairolpro.com/main.jsp?nav=studio/colortheory/pigment&file=m_pigment.html
the color you were trying to get?

If you're interested in color read this. It gives good basics for even novices on how color works if you have any questions just reply or pm me for clarification b/c some terms can be confusing. (its clairol professional but these fundamentals are true with ANY professional color brand).

http://www.clairolpro.com/main.jsp?nav=studio/colortheory&file=colortheory.html

Last edited:
It might be that the preson didn't know what they were doing. Make sure you get good referals or go to a salon that is color only. Just get an in depth consultation and be honest even if it means they won't do your color. Tell them all the chemicals you've had on and bring the box color so they can see. Trust me if you had problems with it breaking with just the highlights imagine if it had been your whole head.

You have hot roots right? Which basically means the hair at your root is lighter than the rest of your hair.

yes you can control how fast the bleach lifts by using different volume of developer 10,20,30, and 40 volume. 10 works slowest which in my opinion is best just to make sure it doesn't over process 40 volume will make it work the fastest ususally only good if you are doing cap highlights b/c you are putting bleach on all the hair at the same time instead of with highlights where the bleach sits longer where you first put it. From 10 to 40 it just gets faster.

You can highlight with either color or bleach either way when you're going from a level 1 or 2 darkest brown. The only thing is when you use color and your hair is that dark you can only go about 3 shades lighter. If you want to go even lighter you HAVE to use bleach and then tone it with a semi-permanent color. If you have relaxer in your hair you have to be especially careful. Its ususally not reccomended to use bleach on relaxed hair but some do anyways some with good results (if the stylist is very careful) and some with bad if it overprocesses and or the client's hair wasn't in the best condition here is the section on relaxed hair.

But Like I said I think you can probably achieve the color with a 30 or 40 volume developer and a color that is just a tad bit lighter than what you want since your hair is dark. And when you use 10,20,30,40 volume developer with COLOR it DOES NOT work the same as with bleach. The volume when using color depends on how many LEVELS you want to ligthen 10= 1 20=2 30=3 40=4 if your hair is a natural level 4 or lighter. But if you hair is level 1,2,3 10 wont' do a thing 20=1 level 30=2 40=3

Can you show me on here. .
http://www.clairolpro.com/main.jsp?nav=studio/colortheory/pigment&file=m_pigment.html
the color you were trying to get?

If you're interested in color read this. It gives good basics for even novices on how color works if you have any questions just reply or pm me for clarification b/c some terms can be confusing. (its clairol professional but these fundamentals are true with ANY professional color brand).

http://www.clairolpro.com/main.jsp?nav=studio/colortheory&file=colortheory.html

thank you again for being so thorough with your replies. I wanted to be a number 4 light brown according to that chart. I used a 20 developer b/c the makers of the color said to only use that on relaxed hair. is it possible that my roots lifted to the color that i wanted because they are healthier than the rest of my hair? if you use a low developer you said that the processing time is slow so does that mean that you have to leave the color on your hair longer to achieve the results that you want or do you still have to limit yourself to the times suggested?

thank you again for being so thorough with your replies. I wanted to be a number 4 light brown according to that chart. I used a 20 developer b/c the makers of the color said to only use that on relaxed hair. is it possible that my roots lifted to the color that i wanted because they are healthier than the rest of my hair? if you use a low developer you said that the processing time is slow so does that mean that you have to leave the color on your hair longer to achieve the results that you want or do you still have to limit yourself to the times suggested?

Thats the only problem with relaxed hair you don't want to go too light because your hair will be really dry and can lead to breakage. If you want to you can but I would highly reccomend highlights vs the whole head color.

Your roots lifted probably because you have no color on them. I believe you said you have color on your hair. Color does not lift color. So if the artificial color on your hair is darker than the color you are trying to change it to you are not going to achieve the color unless you bleach and then tone it which i DO NOT reccomend b/c you will have no hair left. Again the reason your roots lifted is b/c there is no color on them. If you had color on your roots nothing would've happened just like the rest of your hair.

No the processing time is not slow that is only with bleach. With bleach the developer used which determine how fast it comes up. The higher the developer the faster it lightens ONLY WITH BLEACH.

Now with color the the volume determines how many LEVELS you want to lighten. Because when you go darker you only need 10 volume b/c its DEPOSIT only going darker. When you go lighter you lift to different levels. If your NATURAL hair is a level 4-10 (looking at the color chart)

10 volume =1 level of lift
20 volume =2 levels of lift
30 volume =3 levels of lift
40 volume =4 levels of lift.

But if your natural hair color is a level 1-3

10 volume won't do a thing (if you're going lighter)
20 volume = 1 level
30 volume = 2 levels
40 volume = 3 levels

Anything past 4 levels of lift (wouldn't reccomend) you would have to bleach and tone.

Since you only want about 2 levels of lift you should be fine. The only thing is I can't determine what should be done about your midshaft and ends. If you have color on them you are either going to have to bleach the midshaft/ends and tone to match the roots ( would not reccomend) or you're going to have to let the haircolor grow out.

See this is something you could've done on your own if you had no haircolor on your hair. But since you had color on your midshaft and ends it wouldn't lift. So yes this is a corrective color.

You should go around and ask for referrals (everyone is NOT good at color and analyzing color problems) for a good colorits. Like I said if you can go to a color only salon b/c they only do color.

Back