How soon before flat ironing do you apply heat protection? Is 24hrs to long?

curlytwirly06

So I apologize in advance for constantly riddling this forum with questions on flat ironing, I'm a newb and don't want to damage my hair. :lol:

So I am not going to use a blow dryer but let my hair dry overnight instead in braids and then take them apart in pm the next day for the blown out effect. I am going to flat iron after all of that. I was told that my hair should not be wet at all when the iron touches it so I wanted to apply my liquid heat protectant and my serum before braiding. My question is, is this to long to wait after applying a heat protectant to flat iron? Will the time I take to get to flat ironing it render the heat protection useless? When is the best time to apply heat protectant if your not blowdrying? Sorry if I sound dumb but I really am clueless about these things. Thanks again!

curlytwirly06
Your flatiron isn't going to be smooth or have swing due to the drying in braids. Blow drying wouldn't hurt your hair in fact if you did a through blowdry you would use a lower temp when flatironing. You can do it the way you intend, but I suspect your results will be lackluster. You won't heat damage your hair, just don't do 50-11 passes. Protectants have cones & stay on the hurr so you'll be fine.

^^^^what she said. Blow drying you're hair on cool is perfectly fine. When I flat iron I apply heat protectant right before I use the flat iron. Applying heat protectant the night before isn't the best option because your hair will soak most of it up, but that's up to you.

You can also use a spray after it dries in addition to the serum you put on while wet if you wait overnight before flat ironing.

The CHI heat protecting spray requires it be applied to dry hair immediately before heat.

curlytwirly06
Your flatiron isn't going to be smooth or have swing due to the drying in braids. Blow drying wouldn't hurt your hair in fact if you did a through blowdry you would use a lower temp when flatironing. You can do it the way you intend, but I suspect your results will be lackluster. You won't heat damage your hair, just don't do 50-11 passes. Protectants have cones & stay on the hurr so you'll be fine.

Okay, someone told me due to being very fine haired and 3a-3c texture I could just air dry and not put more heat in my head. But I see what your saying about blowdrying on cool. I plan to flat iron on 300-325 btw.

^^^^what she said. Blow drying you're hair on cool is perfectly fine. When I flat iron I apply heat protectant right before I use the flat iron. Applying heat protectant the night before isn't the best option because your hair will soak most of it up, but that's up to you.

Oh, okay... So your hair can be a bit damp when the flat iron? I was told that your hair should be BONE dry. I am using a serum and a spray if that matters...

You can also use a spray after it dries in addition to the serum you put on while wet if you wait overnight before flat ironing.

The CHI heat protecting spray requires it be applied to dry hair immediately before heat.

Thanks!

One more question, I am spacing my process out over a week (pre-pooing through deep conditioning, braiding air drying etc.) That wont effect me negatively, right? I dont have the time to do it all in one night or even two days... just the way my schedule is right now.

@curlytwirly06

I agree. Apply heat protectant, then blow dry on cool to medium on the highest fan setting. Your hair will be fine. See this thread regarding how to obtain flowing results. Moisturized hair is the key.

Spacing it out over a week is not a good idea. Your hair wont be clean and adding heat to dirty hair is asking for breakage and setback. I wouldn't wait longer than a day

Back