How soon after relaxer do you shampoo?

jcdlox

Is there any harm in shampooing right after a relaxer? Sometimes my hair is so flat after my relaxer (stylist usually flat irons it) that I wash it the same day or next day to get body back into it. Does it help the relaxer "last" longer to wait several days?

Relaxers are permanent no matter how many times/soon you wash. You are fine washing the next day. I usually would wait 2 weeks so my style could last.

I've always thought that was a myth. I say go ahead and shampoo .. the only thing I've ever heard you really shouldn't do directly after is a hard protein treatment (ex: aphogee 2 step)

4-10 days depending on how I feel. I shampoo sooner rather than later because I hate that after relaxer limpness combined with the very straight blow drying and flat ironing my hairdresser does. You can wash your hair at anytime, the relaxer is a permanent chemical changed designed to break down the bonds which gets rid of the original texture of the hair. You cannot get rid of a relaxer, by washing your hair, that's a myth. The only way you can is by cutting your hair. Wash your hair whenever you want. :yep:

Last edited:
Have you tried any other styles besides flat-ironing? Maybe you should try a different style if you really don't like the results you are getting...flat hair.

I do not wash my hair for 4 days after I've relaxed.

I do not do this to make the "style" last, but for chemistry based reasons.

You could ask your stylist to rollerset after the relaxer instead of flatironing - because you do want more body.

Have you tried any other styles besides flat-ironing? Maybe you should try a different style if you really don't like the results you are getting...flat hair.

Agreed, usually my hair gets straight when my hairdresser only uses the blow dryer. Now I tell her to skip the flat ironing step. It eliminates the extra heat and once she adds a shine spritz or serum, it looks like my hair is freshly flat ironed. My hair isn't as limp as a result so maybe you can do that.

Last edited:
Agreed, usually my hair gets straight when my hairdresser only uses the blow dryer. Now I tell her to skip the flat ironing step. It eliminates the extra heat and once she adds a shine spritz or serum, it looks like my hair is freshly flat ironed. My hair isn't as limp as a result so maybe you can do that.

Yeah, right now I'm just going to get my touch-ups and not really focused on styling so I haven't bothered to ask her to do it differently. That's a good suggestion though.

thank ladies!

I shampoo the same day.

Since I started doing my own relaxers, I don't have limp hair on relaxer day anymore.

Back