How soon after a relaxer can I Surge??

• Thread starter Thread starter HairObsessed
  • Start date Start date
H

HairObsessed

Do you all resume surging the day of your relaxer. I think sometimes protein may cause my hair to revert a little right after a relaxer. I get my relaxer tomorrow. What do you all think??

Hmm, I am not sure about protein causing relaxed hair to revert, from what I understand in previous posts relaxed hair does not revert, because the chemicals straighten it. I would think it would be okay.

Yes it can! If you use a strong protein treatment too soon after your relaxer, the disulfide bonds can and will return to there original position and this is reversion. The same can happen if you wash your hair too soon after you get a relaxer or use a sulfur product.

I always wash my hair the day after I relax. I do this to get rid of all the styling products they use and have never had my hair revert. I Surged the next day also and my hair looks just like it did when I got back from the salon but softer coz I put all my yummy good stuff in it.

Debyjay,
I think I may try your wash the day after routine. I hate the hairspay and dry feeling I get the day after a relaxer even if my stylist does do a deep conditioner

I'd say immediately. I started about a week after relaxing (only because that's when I heard about Surge) and it was fine. I don't think the protein is strong enough to revert the hair.

I use Aphogee the exact same day as my relaxer and never have I had a problem with this. And that stuff is pretty concentrated. I always wash my hair the next day as well, again never been a problem either. I can't see how water and a regular shampoo can revert the hair. The relaxer breaks down the bonds in my hair so how can the protein reverse what is supposed to be a permanent proceedure?

Back