How short is too short, to start stretching relaxers?

How short is too short to start stretching your relaxer?

• Total voters

betty-boo

Hello I'm having a dilemma. After losing all my progress at the end of last year (APL down the drain - literally, because of lack of protein), I've been slowly growing my hair back from the grave.

I've become used to stretching but I'm starting to think now that trying to stretch really short hair (just beyond a twa) is not a good idea and could hamper my progress. I'm 18 weeks post, but it doesn't look like it - I think some of the relaxed ends I grew this year have already dropped off :eek:

My philosophy is this - because the ratio of relaxed hair to new growth is equal (e.g. 1inch new growth to 1 inch relaxed ends), that this might be more dangerous than having 1 inch new growth to 10 inch relaxed ends?

I don't know - maybe it doesn't make a difference. But its so hard stretching at this length.:nono:

Can you help me with this by voting and giving some rationale why you voted this way?

Love ya!

I think as long as you are caring for the line between the relaxed and the natural hair, and you aren't shedding profusely, then there shouldn't be a time limit on stretching and length.

I voted for ear length because I think that's where I am now and I can't stretch past 8 weeks. In fact, I only made it to 7 last time. I'm trying for 8 this cycle (4b with fine strands).

I think as long as you are caring for the line between the relaxed and the natural hair, and you aren't shedding profusely, then there shouldn't be a time limit on stretching and length.

Thanks Tarheelgurl! I'm trying to do this - I rollerset only once a week and it stays in the same french roll all week. I try to do protein treatments too when I wash. I can't say I'm shedding profusely - maybe it's alright, I don't know. I pray I haven't lost my previous progress!

I voted for ear length because I think that's where I am now and I can't stretch past 8 weeks. In fact, I only made it to 7 last time. I'm trying for 8 this cycle (4b with fine strands).

Thanks yardgirl! I'm 4b too with fine strands, but have a lot of them. It is such a slippery road, stretching with fine strands. I may just cave in...

Look at the first picture in my siggy.....I stretched for 13 weeks with that length. I stretch now. During my stretch, I deep condition a lot and do a lot of protective styles (flexirod sets, wigs, etc.). It isn't easy but is do-able.:yep:

Look at the first picture in my siggy.....I stretched for 13 weeks with that length. I stretch now. During my stretch, I deep condition a lot and do a lot of protective styles (flexirod sets, wigs, etc.). It isn't easy but is do-able.:yep:

Thanks Shasha! That is really encouraging! How often do you deep condition during this time? I only DC once a week. I don't know if this is good...

i think it all depends on the hair,
for some i recommend not to stretch at all but some with very short hair will do just fine, it all depends on the diff in texture and if it looks good or not IMO.
some people have very course hair so when the straight and curly hair meets it jus looks very umm... weird, whereas some can straighten it and look like they have a 4 week old relaxer
personally my stretches never look good and thats why im half wigging during my transition. my hair jus gets tooo big, and plus i cant put my hair in a decent pony to even make it look good, so dats a no no for me

Thanks Shasha! That is really encouraging! How often do you deep condition during this time? I only DC once a week. I don't know if this is good...

Once I hit about 8 weeks post, I DC at least 2 times a week. If I try to be slick and go one time a week, my hair rebels. I alternate between my protein and moisture DCs with each wash and make sure to apply it directly to my ng.

i think it all depends on the hair,
for some i recommend not to stretch at all but some with very short hair will do just fine, it all depends on the diff in texture and if it looks good or not IMO.
some people have very course hair so when the straight and curly hair meets it jus looks very umm... weird, whereas some can straighten it and look like they have a 4 week old relaxer
personally my stretches never look good and thats why im half wigging during my transition. my hair jus gets tooo big, and plus i cant put my hair in a decent pony to even make it look good, so dats a no no for me

Yes this is a good point. Some areas of my hair look okay with the stretching but my word, some other parts are just simply crazy and stick out!!!!! So much so, that I have to tame it with lots of products in order for it to look presentable. With long hair, you can just put it in a ponytail and forget it. It's so tricky with short hair.

Thanks yardgirl! I'm 4b too with fine strands, but have a lot of them. It is such a slippery road, stretching with fine strands. I may just cave in...

Oh I think your hair is thicker than mine based on what I see in your fotki. It's not relaxed straight though so it's probably hard to judge.

I will be at a 10 week stretch when I do my relaxer on Saturday (9-19) and my hair is shorter than yours. I think it depends on how well you care for your hair during your stretch.

Thanks Coffee and Yardgirl! But my hair is nothing like my fotki anymore - I've lost all of that and have to start again :blush:
I have some new pictures of what my hair is currently like, but I haven't uploaded them yet (I'll feel better about doing this when I have some good progress pics in Dec :yep:).
My hair is very very short. It was a TWA at the beginning of the year and is just a little longer at the moment. I think if I can do it, I'll try and make 20 weeks and relax then. Wow this is tough

Back