How Old is Your Flat Iron?

Miss*Tress

It could be a ploy to sell more, but then again, technology does evolve rapidly and heat-styling tools are improving and becoming less damaging.

Here's an excerpt from an article that could be of interest:
You Love Your: Heat Styler

• But the problem is: Blow-drying, flat-ironing and curling can all cause hair's outer layer — the cuticle — to lift up, releasing valuable moisture and leaving shafts brittle.
  • You're in trouble when: You pull out a hair, run your fingernail from root to end (as if curling a ribbon), drop the strand into a glass of water — and it doesn't uncurl. Translation: Your hair has lost elasticity, says McMaster.
  • Damage-control plan: Throw out any heat-styling tool that you've had for more than five years: The older the appliance, the higher the chance that the temperature gauge has gone kaput, says Beverly Hills celebrity stylist Cristophe. Use your blow-dryer's nozzle attachment; it cuts down on cuticle ruffling. Buying a flat iron? Pick one that has ceramic plates: Since ceramic heats up evenly, it straightens hair faster and won't stick to — or singe — any one spot. (Try Rusk's Ceramic Str8 Iron.) Before ironing or drying your hair, says McMaster, use a spray or serum that contains dimethicone. It will melt in the heat, creating a protective barrier.
Source

My last flat iron was only a little over 1 year old but one of the plates cracked and would snag my hair something terrible. I just bought a Sedu Pro Nano and it better last longer than my other one.

This article seems to make a lot of sense. Especially for a flat iron. I don't think that every 5 years is too frequent. The money I save by not going to the salon is well worth the cost of a new styling appliance. It pays for it self in a few months, so 5 years is like icing on the cake to me.

My Solia is 3 years old. I'm going to get a new flat iron soon, doing some research on brands, but I may just get another Solia. She hasn't ever let me down! I think it's about time for a new one, though.

I've had my plug in flat irons for about 4 yrs... I don't use it that often.

I also have Marcel flat irons (stove one) which last oh let's say... forever:lachen:

Mine is less than a year old because I bought it after joining LHCF (Biosilk by Farouk). Before that, I used to keep 'em for many years.

I think this depends more on how often you use your flat iron. My maxi is 5 years and my sedu is about a 4. I only use them about 4-5 times a YEAR. IMO, this applies to people who flat iron regularly. Also, I don't think that type of elasticity tests works for nappy hair. My hair is gonna stay curled in water.

ITS ALL A PART OF ONE GIANT CONSPIRACY!!!

...says Beverly Hills celebrity stylist Cristophe..
Stylist are all apart a secret plan to get us into the culture or spending unnecessary money!:sekret::sekret:

But seriously so says the stylist... He probably uses his tools daily I'm not sure I should go buy that.

Mine is 3 months

Last edited:
I've had my Sedu since 07 but I never used it until this year and that's only been 4 times. Hopefully it will last a while before I need to purchase another one.

But is it usage or simply age that destroys the temperature gauge? My electric curling irons and hot comb must be around 20 years old; the curling irons have barely been used though.

I've had my Sedu for 2yrs, I only flat iron twice a yr, so I'll most likely have this one for a long while,lol.

So glad I read this, I just sold my old GHD on ebay I had it since 2004, and I just got a cheap Vidal Sasson Ceramic one, I like it as I can adjust the heat settings and the plates are more curved, I will get a Fhi when I am BSL

I have had my Select Pro Gold for about 3 years+ (it's old and cheap but it works!). Most of my other applicances are well over 5 years.
I can't afford to invest into all these expensive flatirons and appliances. I'm a freshman college student covered in loans with no job and my parents have their own worries...my mom recently quit her job...today is her last day.
So yea...I'd love to try out the FHI Runway, or a Sedu, or Maxiglide, but it ain't gon happen any time soon...
But I'm happy with ol' faithful!

I have my flat irons for about 6-5 yrs. I don't use them a lot. most of the time I have own them my sister had them in her possession.

I think I had my Chi flat iron since the Clinton Administration:lol:

Really though, I think it's been 8-10 years. I don't flat iron anymore out of pure laziness, and my chi doesn't have heat control, so in the box it stays.

I bought my 1 1/2" Sedu Revolution as a B-Day present to myself in August 2013, so it's eight months old. I've only used it twice, during the fall and spring equinox, so I could dust/trim.

Now, I want a FHI EPS Black Diamond 1" flat iron, because it's digital, but I can't justify the purchase.

My Sedu Pro is 4 years old

My Sedu Revolution is 2 1/2 years old

My Babyliss ProTitanium is almost a year old.

Love them all to peices, especially my sedu pro because the 1 inch is no longer manufactured.

Solia 1 inch - 8 years

Amika - 5 years

Original Sedu 1 inch - 6 years

original Sedu 1.5 inch - 5 years

Sedu Revolution - 3 years

cortex 1/2 inch - 3 years

deep brilliance 1/2 inch - 6 years

Last edited:
Sedu revolution - will be 2 years in December.
Used twice so far. Next use in September of this year. Aiming for twice a year: valentine s day and DH and DD birthday.

I recently traded in a Heatmaster from Sally's that I purchased in 2006. Best investment I've ever made, just wanted something newer.

My flat iron is maybe 9-10 years old and it is still fabulous. I still keep it in the box and bubble wrap until I need to use it.

Back